EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Bishop Peak Trail from Highland Drive

Bishop Peak Trail from Highland Drive is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near San Luis Obispo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Bishop Peak, at 1559 feet, is the highest of the Nine Sisters (or Morros) in San Luis Obispo County. The peak is the centerpiece of the Bishop Peak Nature Reserve, and can be accessed from trailheads on either Patricia Drive or Highland Drive. From the trailhead on Patricia Drive, the trail starts as a wide dirt path climbing west uphill to a fenced gate, where you enter the Ferrini Open Space. At a curve in the road, turn left onto a narrow trail just after a short stretch of pavement. Staying on the paved road will lead uphill to a water tank, and the Felsman Loop Trail, which later re-intersects our route. Switchbacking through open oak woodland, the trail emerges into an open area near a seasonal cattle pond. Follow the main trail uphill to another cattle gate, where the signed Bishop Peak Trail branches left. The trail then goes through a shaded forest, passing a popular rock climbing area before emerging into open chaparral on the south side of Bishop Peak. A series of switchbacks lead up to the saddle between the west and east summits of the peak. At the saddle, a bench marks the end of the maintained trail. The east (and slightly lower) summit can be reached from here by a short scramble over sandstone boulders. On top, there are outstanding views of the entire San Luis Obispo area, including nearby Cerro San Luis Obispo to the east.

I’m completely unfit, and the switchbacks were a little tough but I still enjoyed the hike and loved the views untitled the clouds rolled in

Nice distance. Elevation. Was warm today. Recommend early morning if no cloud coverage. Well maintained trail. Wear good trail shoes to prevent slipping. Hydrate.
Gorgeous views.

Fun, not super strenuous hike! Absolutely great view.

Classic slo hike. Beautiful on a clear day! Also fun to do a sunrise or sunset version.

Awesome hike and has a lot of rocks to climb through and over at the top! A lot of fun:)

Great hike! And beautiful scenery all along the way

it was a fun short hike. not difficult and there are shaded areas to get a break from the sun.

Awesome views! Go early if it’s going to be a hot day, and wear good shoes.

I've been wanting to hike this trail for some time now and over this past weekend I finally did! It was a great hike. I couldn't have asked for more beautiful weather and scenery. My mother-in-law joined me and at her short stature she had some difficulty climbing some of the rocks on the trail, but it wasn't at all too difficult. The subtle incline (due to frequent switchbacks) made for almost a leisurely hike. It was a busy trail, but everyone was so pleasant. This trail will be added to my "Will Hike Often" list.

It was ok

This is a beautiful hike. Steep climb to the top but worth the views. Try and go in a weekday to avoid crowds. We hiked it on a Sunday and there were too many people. The trail doesn’t have a lot (if any shade) so be aware of that during warmer temps. Watch for poison ivy along the lower portion of the trail. The climb does have rocks to go up and down and around etc. so be sure to wear appropriate clothes and shoes.

I love this trial. it never disappoints,it has amazing views and is a great hike. You should take the time for this hike.

Awesome hike! Probably the best hike in the area!

Great hike. My son enjoyed the climbing part. Good workout and a rewarding view.

Cool rock climbing if you would like. Good exercise
Beautiful scenery

Great trail running, very neat

Great trail, great views

Beautiful scenery, moderately challenging trail. Loved it!

Love this place!!

This is the first trail I hiked in SLO and I keep going back. I’m in love with the uphill push to the top. My first time to the top it took just over 45 minutes. Last week my time was 38 minuets. It is what you make it but I prefer the rush to the top and enjoy the way down.

Nice view of SLO!

My favorite hike when I go to SLO!!

Great trail, beautiful view of the city mountain range. Been here 5 times and will definitely come back.

I greatly enjoyed this hike. It was slightly challenging, but nothing too difficult. There is also a cave! 0:

Steep rocky narrow path, no shade, cool and breezy at the top. great hike for a calorie burn. Beautiful views of SLO and Morro.

Great hike! You can see morrow bay and Avila bay from the top. Beautiful.

I love this trail! I’ve done it a about 6 times!

I'm a senior citizen, just take your time, it's no big deal. Avoid poison

Not an easy trail, but definitely not hard, and you get some amazing beautiful views of the city.

Old favorite!