Billy Goat Loop Trail

Billy Goat Loop Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Foothill Ranch, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Chaparral, wildflowers, scenic vistas, eroded red rock, elfin forest This is a rougher route to Red Rock Canyon than the Borrego Trail. You'll go up some steep sections and then down the steep Billy Goat Trail which is choked in chapparral and treacherous in spots where the knifeblade sandstone ridges have eroded. The Billy Goat Trail itself is closed to bikers. Watch for loose rock on the ridge leading into the elfin forest. Be on watch for mountain lions, particularly in the elfin forest and areas of thick brush. Like all Whiting Ranch hikes, it is best avoided during the summer months when temperatures can reach the low hundreds. There is little shade along this route except at the very bottom of Mustard Road. Wear a hat in all seasons.

Billy Goat has become one of my favorite trails at Whiting. Difficult and technical at times. Steep uphills as well as downhills. Can be slippery from the sand and loose gravely rocks. No shade so keep that in mind during the hot afternoons. I bring my poles with me for this trail.

You spend the entirety of this fairly straightforward hike constantly fluctuating in elevation, oftentimes over steep and occasionally treacherous terrain, but it's a great work out and the more technical hiking along Billy Goat Trail can be a lot of fun if you're up for it.

I recommend hiking past the far end of the loop and continuing out to Vista Lookout. It adds about a mile and a half onto your hike, but you get pretty cool views of the canyon's sandstone formation.

Went in December in the morning and the weather was perfect throughout. Be mindful of the mountain bikers that frequent these trails. They get a kick out of the downhill sections of the hike and can round the corners pretty quick so stay alert.

Billy Goat Loop Trail was simple hiked w/ some high inclines. Good for an evening or early bird morning hike. In evening the sunset is beautiful. In the morning you will still get fogginess (depending on the weather condition), but it is amazing and depending on the month(s). You will feel like your closer to heaven. Simple/good workout hike in the city.

One of my fav hikes, beautiful scenery!

My wife and I hiked Dreaded and Billy, one after the other, but bc we were new, did Billy first bc we parked st Concourse. Anyway, both can be done and our whole hike was about 2 hours bc we ran a bit too. Next time we will go up Dreaded first and go to 4 Corners where Billy can be approached from the left to go up instead of down. I think it was about 8 mi total. Dreaded was harder but a wide utility road and about 25% longer. Billy was steeper and good shoes are rqd bc it's a bit gravelly up and down, but not as slippery as Brand is, on the north side of Burbank. So if we had only done one or the other, it would not have felt as much of a challenge, we saw at least 5-10 hikers and 10 bikers, but it did not feel crowded. No wildlife was seen. About 85-90 degrees, so bring water. We ran out of water over the last 2 miles bc we only planned to do Billy. We had extra water in the car and there is a fountain at Concourse parking. Four corners had a water fountain, but there were too many bees buzzing to get at it. Sucked to not have water when so hot on September 9, 2017.

Was an awesome hike. The Billy Goat trail gets quite tricky and technical. Need to watch your footing. Not much shade so a hat or cap is definitely called for. All in all a good work out.

Nice view & great Hills!

Tough for my first hike but so worth it!

nice day

One of my favorite hikes in Whiting Ranch. I would say it is 2nd toughest to Dreaded Hill, but it is more interesting. This trail has its fair share of climbs and descending portions but offers a fairly nice view at the highest hill. I have been able to spot a deer or two during the right time of year.

It's good but I think it should be moderate, not hard.

Narrow trail. Would be best to not have a fear of heights to trail this. Awesome 360 view .. watching birds soar at your same level. Rewarding experience. Not a hard trail.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

This hike was a lot of fun, but I'm not sure I would call it a hard hike. It had some challenging moments, but overall a moderate hike.
It took me longer to get out to the actual Billy Goat Trail than it did to hike it.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

The trail is amazing you follow a ridge line and you can practically see all of whiting ranch

It can get pretty steep but a fun technical hike

Thursday, March 24, 2016

This was a wonderful hike. Not too difficult at all. You have a few loops to choose from. All in all a good 2 hours. Well worth it. Will be looking for something more challenging.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

This was such a great trail. The length wasn't too bad, about 5 miles. However, it is either uphill or downhill. You don't get a lot of flatland breaks in between. The trail also gets really narrow and very rocky at some points. Loved it overall though!!

Monday, December 08, 2014

Billy Goat!! It looks so inviting ..Lol...great hike. Beautiful scenery and so nice to have very little "traffic " whizzing by. It's a wee bit of a challenge...but worth it for gorgeous views!!

Friday, June 28, 2013

Not to difficult but certainly one of the rougher single tracks in the area. Due to this and it not allowing for mountain bikes it was significantly quieter than the surrounding trails and a nice break before finishing the loop back out.

Friday, June 07, 2013

Not bad for an urban hike. This Billy Goat will give you a little kick you in the pants. It is not too hard, but it gets the blood moving. All and all, I enjoyed it. It is a good one if you are looking for a harder hike close to civilization. You can park on Portola Road by a strip mall and save yourself three bucks.

Monday, March 12, 2012

This was a nice trail. Not difficult though. Parking was $3. It was very busy so go early.
Def go to Red Rock trail while in the park.