EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Bighorn Peak and Ontario Peak

Bighorn Peak and Ontario Peak is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

An intense dayhike or moderate backpack in the Cucamonga Wilderness. This hike hits two of the tallest, most prominent peaks in the Angeles National Forest. Beginning with the historic, alpine brook that runs through Icehouse Canyon, this trail climbs through picturesque pine and cedar to Icehouse Saddle before visiting the site of an old trail resort and ascending a long ridge between the two peaks. A truly magnificent and rewarding hike, with great views of the Baldy Bowl for almost the entire route. Highly, highly recommended.

I did it yesterday.Thw weather was perfect for hiking. When i got to the top it was only me.The whole Ontario peck just for myslef. Next time i will go to camp up there for a night.

hiking at night

My favorite mountains. Easier trail vs cucamonga peak. A little prettier too. Cool rocks to sit on at the top.

So I get to the first Saddle, easy peasy

Looks like an amazing hike! You guys think its safe to hike this right now by yourself?

This is a challenging hike and I highly recommend it. I normally hike to the peak in the winter season which is both beautiful and dangerous–twice I've been caught in storms on the way down. With the right equipment and good company this trip will be memorable and make great stories for the years to come.

perfect view

All the way sunshine and a little bit shade. My face was sunburnt and my right ankle was twisted and hurt. My team player gave me a great deal of courage and accompanied me to complete a round trip. I need a comfort hiking boot and a lightweight backpack for next Saturday Mt. Wilson trail hiking. At last, I felt exhausted but encouraged and was present with friendship.

Hard but very nice View, but really hard going up.

Really really hard trail on icehouse. Going to Ontario peak, It was nice but it's really hard trail. Remember to carry a lot of water.and this in time you can do the Ontario peak

Great set of peaks they've got there. I did these two and Cucamonga in one punishing day. See my recording 3 trails, 1 day. Super hard. Stunning views and lots of people. Big Horn seemed to be the one the fewest folks went out to. It was hot and tiring. Bring more water than you think you need, as none is available at the Kelly Camp.

Nice stream at the beginning, small trickles running across the trail, lot of shade for 2/3 of the hike. the last 1.5 miles is open so bring sun protection. That last stretch is longer than you think, don't get fooled by the false summits! we took it slow with a long rest at the peak and it took 8 hours.

Awesome.
Also Kellys Camp is a great place to stop for the night.
Lots of mosquitoes while we were there though. June18-19