Bighorn Peak and Ontario Peak

Bighorn Peak and Ontario Peak is a 14.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

An intense dayhike or moderate backpack in the Cucamonga Wilderness. This hike hits two of the tallest, most prominent peaks in the Angeles National Forest. Beginning with the historic, alpine brook that runs through Icehouse Canyon, this trail climbs through picturesque pine and cedar to Icehouse Saddle before visiting the site of an old trail resort and ascending a long ridge between the two peaks. A truly magnificent and rewarding hike, with great views of the Baldy Bowl for almost the entire route. Highly, highly recommended.

I happened to be on the 210 freeway near here today, and it looks like there is a good amount of snow above 6500 feet or so. Hopefully this helps. Have fun climbing this mountain!

I haven't actually done this yet, but I want to. Can someone comment about whether there is snow on the trail at the top? Do you have to have spikes? Waterproof shoes? Any advice is appreciated!

did this solo loved it only 2 other ppl i saw

One of my favorites.

Camped near Bighorn right before the snowstorm hit. What I woke up to was easily the most beautiful scene one can imagine.

IG: vothomas

Lots of snow from the storm that hit this week. Gorgeous hike!

10/21/18 great hike, the weather was perfect! The incline is steady once you pass the ice house saddle. As much as I love this trail, i hate it at the same time due to a very rocky trail. I recommend wearing hiking boots to avoid twisting your ankle. It is roughly 14 miles WITHOUT hiking Bighorn. Always bring plenty of water!

This was the most difficult hike I’ve ever done. And somehow we did 14 miles although AllTrails says 12. Beautiful, yes. Fun, yes. . . but Big Iron will not be seeing me for a LOOOONNNG time!

Loved the beauty of the trail to Ontario Peak. In my opinion, the ascent was a more gradual one than to Cucamonga Peak. There are a lot of narrow passages through bushes, so glad I wore pants. At this time of year (early October), I didn’t encounter any bees or other bothersome insects. The views from the peak are amazing! Will definitely be doing this one again in the future.

Me encanto!! Es un Trail lleno de hermosos paisajes! Ríos, árboles muy hermosos! Un clima muy agradable de ida a la cima. En la cima estuvo frío! La vista es espectacular!
Vimos un cimarron, pájaros rojos y azules!
Muy recomendado este Trail.

I did both peaks and my GPS had it at 14.4 miles. I went on a cloudy day and had lost the trail a few times due to the clouds. Both trails had sections where the pathway was small so pants would be a better choice so you dont get scrapped up.

Incredible view at Ontario.

Definitely a hard hike. Be careful with sun radiation on the peaks. I'm dark complexion and was wearing sunblock with a neck buff and developed blisters in the back of my neck. Completed the hike in September.

Wow what a butt kicker. Diffidently more then 12.1 miles. A good amount of shade through Icehouse but more open to Ontario Peak or Bighorn.. Trail can be confusing when you hit Kelly camp just remember to stay left.

Did this one yesterday and it was just beautiful the whole way. Gorgeous views! Be careful of all the hornets at the saddle. It was a little intense but easy to move away from. We went straight up to Ontario Peak and skipped the out and back to Bighorn Peak. My Garmin said 13.12 miles for just Ontario Peak so I agree with others in the comments below who also came up with "extra" mileage.

Parking lot fills FAST. We were there at 6:15am and there were only a couple of spots left.

Great views from Ontario peak. There was a decent amount of smoke from the fires

Hiked to Bighorn on Aug. 9th. Scenic and quiet. I saw deer, and a rattlesnake. Neat! Just FYI, the smoke from nearby wildfires is affecting this area. Baldy Village was smoky in the morning but when I got up to the saddle, the air quality seemed great. At that point, I decided to continue on to Bighorn. I didn't encounter smoke until I was almost to the peak. As the day progressed, the smoke from started to roll in fast. Air quality was not the best.

Hiked to Bighorn and Ontario on a Thursday, and it was pretty quiet -- only saw 5 other people on the trail from the saddle, and only 2 people that were heading for Ontario. But this trail is NOT 12.1 miles -- it is at least 2 miles longer if you hit both peaks. Although I did not record a track, I logged over 41,000 steps from the parking lot -- that's NOT a 12.1 mile hike. Check the recorded tracks below for both peaks, and you'll see a number that are over 14 miles. My best guess is that doing both peaks is a 14.2 mile RT hike -- 3.6 miles to the saddle, 2.8 miles to Ontario Peak, and .7 miles to Bighorn from the ridgetop junction. Roundtrip that and you have a 14.2 mile hike.

great hike, will make you work for it, but I think the finish line has much better views than Cucamonga peak, but that's just my opinion.
I can't figure out though it says its 12 miles but I used 3 different pedometers, 2 apps on my phone and 1 on my belt and 2 came up at 17 miles round trip from the ice house parking lot and 1 came in at 16 miles.
Anyone have any thoughts?
Anyway, a fun hike.

I actually prefer this hike to Cucamonga Peak because of the scenery and the views from the top as just as good. Trail is easy to follow. Took at break at the saddle and hung around Kelly Camp for a little bit, not sure why! About the same level and difficulty as Cucamonga.

Semi annual hike to these peaks. A 5:30 am start saw few people on the trail up to Icehouse Saddle and none on the trail to Ontario. After a 20 minuet break on the peak others began showing up as I headed off to Bighorn. Another short break at Bighorn and I headed down the south ridge to Cucamonga saddle and back to Icehouse saddle and the trailhead. The main trail is getting more and more crowded each year as I probably passed more than 100 people, an early start is recommended if you want some solitude, at least on the way up.

Less trafficked. Decent elevation gain of 4100 feet to Ontario Peak.

First time using All Trails. Only started recording once I reached the saddle. Spectacular views heading up from the saddle and crossing the upper reaches of Ice House Canyon. Many "Wows." Interesting views of the dead trees. Why have these died? Ontario was the better of these two peaks. But from Bighorn I could see other hikers working their way up Cucamonga. Long day hike.

Tracked 12.8 miles starting from the trail head/permit box. Trail was pretty, a little rocky I’m certain points. Left over food scraps were laying around at the summit which was terrible to see, take your trash with you people, come on!!

Tracked 13.2 RT skipped Big Horn Peak. Ice House trailhead to Ice House Canyon is very rocky. My knees always suffer on the way back through the canyon.

Good hike, almost finished my 3L. Next time I’ll carry 4L since it’s getting warmer out here.

We arrived to parking lot at 6:40am on Sunday and it was full already! Get here earlier to snag a spot or risk parking further out along the road.

Ok hike. Trail through Icehouse is pretty, but beyond that not so much.

Great trail with lively stream! Took my dog and she loved the water. Rockier than I thought but totally doable. Definitely going back.

Great hike! Weather was perfect and the entire trail is free of snow. View from the top is amazing and the tree makes for good pictures. Ice House Canyon is a little rough as usual but it’s worth it!

The second half of this hike is amazing, beautiful scenery. But starting from Ice House Canyon is never fun on the way down after a long day. Its is very rocky. But Ontario Peak is beautiful and worth the trek. All devices measure differently, but my Garmin Inreach registered this at about 15 miles.

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Went for an overnight and the view from the top is amazing. We found a nice spot towards Ontario peak and it was incredible, will go again soon