Bighorn Peak and Ontario Peak

Bighorn Peak and Ontario Peak is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

An intense dayhike or moderate backpack in the Cucamonga Wilderness. This hike hits two of the tallest, most prominent peaks in the Angeles National Forest. Beginning with the historic, alpine brook that runs through Icehouse Canyon, this trail climbs through picturesque pine and cedar to Icehouse Saddle before visiting the site of an old trail resort and ascending a long ridge between the two peaks. A truly magnificent and rewarding hike, with great views of the Baldy Bowl for almost the entire route. Highly, highly recommended.

Went for an overnight and the view from the top is amazing. We found a nice spot towards Ontario peak and it was incredible, will go again soon

Amazing view. Is not difficult as what everyone says. I went up the peak with my cousin yesterday 12/30/2017. Great hike. weather was perfect. Zero snow.

What a great way to spend a day!

Late start ... so only made it to Onterio Peak (did not want to finish up in the dark). I really like the hike up to the saddle. ... no matter the season. It is a good hike and the views and surroundings are great. Then it was kind of boring until I reached Onterio Peak.

I find this hike hard ... but not challenging (unless it is done in the snow). I also clocked in 13.7 miles (but I did park a bit down from the trail head ... but I also did not hike to Big Horn Peak).

I hike with my dog (the little 7.5# dog in hiking gear). We love seeing other dogs out there. Both on and off leash ... dogs are well behaved and owners are responsible.

Did this on Saturday the 30th. The weather was perfect. I went up using the Chapman trail as it is a little longer and more secluded. I did both Ontario and Big Horn peaks. I had around 30/35 ounces of water and drank it all. I met a few nice people, drank my bottle of beer after using the bottle opener at Ontario peak(it's mounted on the tree) and saw couple big horn sheep.

I did Ontario Peak (without Big Horn Peak) on a beautiful mid-'70s day. After doing Cucamonga Peak last month, I'd say it's about the same difficulty as Ontario. Ontario (without Big Horn) has about 400 feet less elevation gain, but it's a mile longer. If you do it with Big Horn, it's harder than Cucamonga. Make sure to bring extra water (I brought 3 liters and had some left at the end).

Hiking for operation on target. Flashing from peak to peak. Great accomplishment. Didn't see any bighorns. Met a lot of friendly people along the way.

This was a fun, long hike. Admittedly we set out to do both Ontario and Big Horn Peak, but we were ready to descend after Ontario. Judging by the recordings other members posted, this seems to be the trend.
The views were absolutely beautiful, similar to Cucamonga but not as steep to get there. After you get to the saddle, the trail gets narrow and fuzzy in some spots. I counted 14 fallen trees you have to climb or straddle over on the way up to Ontario. Def recommend following the map from Alltrails on your phone.
Keep your voices down like we did to see bighorn sheep, deer, and blue-tailed skinks!

I did it yesterday.Weather was perfect for hiking. When i got to the top it was only me.The whole Ontario peck just for myslef. Next time i will go to camp up there for a night.

hiking at night

My favorite mountains. Easier trail vs cucamonga peak. A little prettier too. Cool rocks to sit on at the top.

So I get to the first Saddle, easy peasy

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Looks like an amazing hike! You guys think its safe to hike this right now by yourself?

Thursday, January 26, 2017

This is a challenging hike and I highly recommend it. I normally hike to the peak in the winter season which is both beautiful and dangerous–twice I've been caught in storms on the way down. With the right equipment and good company this trip will be memorable and make great stories for the years to come.

Monday, January 23, 2017

perfect view

Sunday, October 09, 2016

All the way sunshine and a little bit shade. My face was sunburnt and my right ankle was twisted and hurt. My team player gave me a great deal of courage and accompanied me to complete a round trip. I need a comfort hiking boot and a lightweight backpack for next Saturday Mt. Wilson trail hiking. At last, I felt exhausted but encouraged and was present with friendship.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Hard but very nice View, but really hard going up.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Really really hard trail on icehouse. Going to Ontario peak, It was nice but it's really hard trail. Remember to carry a lot of water.and this in time you can do the Ontario peak

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Great set of peaks they've got there. I did these two and Cucamonga in one punishing day. See my recording 3 trails, 1 day. Super hard. Stunning views and lots of people. Big Horn seemed to be the one the fewest folks went out to. It was hot and tiring. Bring more water than you think you need, as none is available at the Kelly Camp.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Nice stream at the beginning, small trickles running across the trail, lot of shade for 2/3 of the hike. the last 1.5 miles is open so bring sun protection. That last stretch is longer than you think, don't get fooled by the false summits! we took it slow with a long rest at the peak and it took 8 hours.