Bighorn Peak and Ontario Peak

Bighorn Peak and Ontario Peak is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

An intense dayhike or moderate backpack in the Cucamonga Wilderness. This hike hits two of the tallest, most prominent peaks in the Angeles National Forest. Beginning with the historic, alpine brook that runs through Icehouse Canyon, this trail climbs through picturesque pine and cedar to Icehouse Saddle before visiting the site of an old trail resort and ascending a long ridge between the two peaks. A truly magnificent and rewarding hike, with great views of the Baldy Bowl for almost the entire route. Highly, highly recommended.

What a great way to spend a day!

Late start ... so only made it to Onterio Peak (did not want to finish up in the dark). I really like the hike up to the saddle. ... no matter the season. It is a good hike and the views and surroundings are great. Then it was kind of boring until I reached Onterio Peak.

I find this hike hard ... but not challenging (unless it is done in the snow). I also clocked in 13.7 miles (but I did park a bit down from the trail head ... but I also did not hike to Big Horn Peak).

I hike with my dog (the little 7.5# dog in hiking gear). We love seeing other dogs out there. Both on and off leash ... dogs are well behaved and owners are responsible.

Did this on Saturday the 30th. The weather was perfect. I went up using the Chapman trail as it is a little longer and more secluded. I did both Ontario and Big Horn peaks. I had around 30/35 ounces of water and drank it all. I met a few nice people, drank my bottle of beer after using the bottle opener at Ontario peak(it's mounted on the tree) and saw couple big horn sheep.

I did Ontario Peak (without Big Horn Peak) on a beautiful mid-'70s day. After doing Cucamonga Peak last month, I'd say it's about the same difficulty as Ontario. Ontario (without Big Horn) has about 400 feet less elevation gain, but it's a mile longer. If you do it with Big Horn, it's harder than Cucamonga. Make sure to bring extra water (I brought 3 liters and had some left at the end).

Hiking for operation on target. Flashing from peak to peak. Great accomplishment. Didn't see any bighorns. Met a lot of friendly people along the way.

This was a fun, long hike. Admittedly we set out to do both Ontario and Big Horn Peak, but we were ready to descend after Ontario. Judging by the recordings other members posted, this seems to be the trend.
The views were absolutely beautiful, similar to Cucamonga but not as steep to get there. After you get to the saddle, the trail gets narrow and fuzzy in some spots. I counted 14 fallen trees you have to climb or straddle over on the way up to Ontario. Def recommend following the map from Alltrails on your phone.
Keep your voices down like we did to see bighorn sheep, deer, and blue-tailed skinks!