Big Tujunga to Colby Canyon is a 24.5 kilometer out and back trail located near Mount Wilson, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 24.5 km Elevation Gain: 1,200 m Route Type: Out & Back

Strawberry Potrero, lush forests, ridgetop views, waterfalls, talus fields This hike has all the makings of a wilderness adventure including dramatic views from high mountain ridges, passages through lush forests, sparkling waterfalls and a optional side trip up to the summit of Strawberry Peak. The trail begins along Big Tujunga Canyon creek and ascends up into a dense pine forest with breathtaking views of the San Gabriel high country to the north before heading southeast towards the highlight of the trip at Strawberry Potrero. Here you can rest at a picnic table while enjoying the view of Strawberry Peak's sheer north face and giant talus field.The trail continues up to a hub near Josephine Saddle at the Colby Trail junction. Here there is an option of taking a sidetrip. To the left is a well-worn climber's route leading to the summit of Strawberry Peak.The final ascent is a steep scramble over large boulders. The Colby Canyon trail descends to a wooded creek and past a tall waterfall before taking you back to your car.

closed
private property

THIS TRAIL DOES NOT EXIST. Accidentally took this trail on the way back from Strawberry Peak via Mountaineers Route. I was suppose to loop around the North Face of the peak, continuing through Strawberry Meadows, then back up to the saddle, and finally the car. Instead, I stayed straight and didn't veer left through the meadows. Thought that I was on the right path cause my GPS showed I was following the trail (only it was the wrong one). VERY overgrown with a few sections of the trail BARELY in tact. Eventually, it disappeared all together and that's when I was sure I had taken the wrong route (later found out it was this trail through Big Tujunga). It was after sun down, so visibility was limited to my flash light. Barely had enough water left after exhausting myself trying to push through all the dense vegetation. I literally thought I was lost and could feel the panic start to set in. Thankfully, I maintained my focus and decided to abandon the route and just climb straight up the slope I was on to the top of that ridge. I figured that most of the ridge lines out here are connected in some way, and it would be better to stay above the vegetation so I could find my way back easier, instead of going back through hell. I found a small path and could see where Strawberry peak was in relation to my location. Eventually, the ridge led me back to the Private Property sign I passed before the trail got worse. Finally back on the main trail, it still took me hours and 5 miles extra to get back to the car. What a day.

Thu May 23 2019

Trail is virtually non-existent. The trailhead is not even marked, and the trail itself is definitely not maintained—lost it in heavy overgrowth about a 1/2 mile in and had to turn back. Was pretty deserted on a weekday and had some decent scenery though.

Sat May 04 2019

Completely lost the trail at the first switchback .5 miles in, it is completely overgrown. Tried to cut across the switch backs to find the trail again but it never picked back up.

Mon May 21 2018

Very bad trail no maintenance the picnic and bathroom looks like a trash.the trail you can not go through.this has to be a close please,that way you don’t have to drive and lose your time and gas.

Sun Nov 30 2014

fantastic trail. it is very easy to get lost, as there is no clear path on the first leg of the hike. we climbed the side of the hills and made it to the ridge, taking the ridge all the way over and eventually finding the trail. be careful hiking this one at night. excellent hike. loved it.

Sun Nov 06 2011

Big Tujunga Falls are worth a visit for sure. The hike is fun. The tagging is ugly as Heck. I hope a bear attacks those scum taggers.

Sun Apr 28 2019