Big Sycamore Canyon Trail

Big Sycamore Canyon Trail is a 15.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Malibu, California that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

This is a great family outing along the sycamore shaded Big Sycamore Canyon. Starting from Satwiwa Cultural Center, the trail is all downhill to the ocean, ending at Sycamore campground in Pt Mugu State Park. As you head down into the canyon, you have a spectacular view of Old Boney Mountain. A number of spots along the trail have picnic benches and restrooms. The first 3 miles are paved, with the balance of the route on a relatively smooth dirt fire road. On a bike, you can almost coast all the way to the ocean! A great stopping point for lunch is at the Danielson Ranch group camp, about 3 miles into the hike.

Nice trail for mountain biking and hiking in the summer. Shady, but watch for snakes. Best route is to go toward Newbury Park from PCH. Dogs not allowed.

My husband and I bike have always loved biking through here, we now take our son in a single bike trailer and it’s great! The picnic area in the beginning is gone now unfortunately, but there is another bench much farther in off the main trail

Started this on the opposite end at the Sycamore Canyon trailhead off the PCH. Beautiful canyon run on a fire access road. However a few miles in the dirt road turns to asphalt for the rest of the trail (or if you’re going along the route described it’d start asphalt then switch to dirt.

Big Sycamore Canyon: completed a 15.2 mile hike at 951ft, along with the Rancho Sierra Vista, Fireline Trail, and Guadalasco Trail, etc. Easy inclines: a good day hike for beginners. Great for building endurance. Nice and cool weather, at 74 degrees, in January 2018. Be mindful of mt. bikers, please. No dogs. A power bar(s) & 1.5L of water would be fine.

Love this trail, easy day hike.

I loved hiking with my friend today on this trail, not bored at all ,time just flew bye ! ,it's our third time in the last couple years we've done this trail ,we started at 8:30 in the morning so we wouldn't have the heat on us and it was perfect ,we were done at 11 with a cool breeze through the Canyon the whole hike. I don't know where the 15 miles comes from it's more like 8 1/2 miles from the parking lot where the bathrooms are in Newbury Park to the parking lot at the entrance of Sycamore Canyon.

Had a lot of fun hiking this trail. It was a total of 15.52 miles from the car and back. Very easy just sometimes it got a little boring with the same views (the reason for 4 stars instead of 5) but overall I would hike again if I was looking to burn a lot of calories with a more easier hike (we burned 2715 in calories)

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Pulled up with my excited pup only to be greeted by the sign "NO DOGS ON TRAILS"

Friday, March 17, 2017

Great

Thursday, March 09, 2017

NOT DOG-FRIENDLY! So apparently, the beginning of the trail is but once the parks change jurisdiction into Sycamore Canyon, dogs are no longer invited.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Will try again but didn't get past the first bend without a coyote standing in the middle of the trail staring at my 12 lb terrier mix like it was a snack.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

It's a road...so pretty boring aside from the cool factor of hiking from Newbury Park to the beach.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Great workout! So much fun for mountain biking :)

Wednesday, April 01, 2015

I LOVE MOUNTAIN BIKING HERE. I AM LOOKING FOR MORE WOMEN WHO WANT TO RIDE TOGETHER HERE. PLEASE CONTACT ME AT ONLYONEYOUMUSIC@GMAIL.COM AND WE CAN MEET THERE AND ALL RIDE TOGETHER.

Saturday, May 10, 2014

great hike! love all the different trails

Sunday, February 16, 2014

It's a good place to ride lots of room road is wide just nice

Friday, September 06, 2013

ive done this hike numerous times starting from the pch side. normally we hike about 5 to 6 miles in and then hike back. might try parking a car at pch and then hike all the way from the top.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Great ride very scenic. Rode this trail about 3 months ago. need to go back there. There are many diffrent trails to explore off of the mail trail could spend the whole day out there.

Monday, January 21, 2013

was a blast to ride! a lot of different trails that lead off the main road. bring plenty of water and easy things to carry to eat. like cliff bars. They're great for energy. you'll be there for awhile. and most of the trails.. you gotta go up before you get to cruise on the downhills!

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Wow I did this trail today 1-19-13 an wow took it from Lynn all the way to pch. We rested for like 15 min. Before heading back an well we should of left a car at point magu. I was able to handle but I got huge blisters on each leg. If u gonna do this trail I suggest u get yourself newer comfortable shoes. I suggest u do this hike after u gone on a few others.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

This trail has multiple trails for Hiking, MTB, running and horse trails that break off from the main road. I hit up Sin Nombre Trail and Two Foxes Trail, two single track trails 2-4 times a week. The main road is a great workout if you ride to the top of the "black bitch" (the big tarmac hill climb) from PCH. If you start at the top from Lynn Road then the decent can be fun and the climb back out is tough. One of my favorite spots. Very friendly riders and a great place for all levels of MTB riders.

Monday, October 01, 2012

Enjoyed the though we left late in the morn on a hot day. Took my Golden which I later found out is not permissible. This was too much for him and had to carry him a few times. Tough for him but good for me and our group of 4. Ps remember keys if u park at both ends (Oops on the wif). Anyway great day and pack water and a hat plus a grain bar is a nice filler.