Big Stump Loop Trail

easy 98 reviews

Big Stump Loop Trail is a 2.9 kilometer loop trail located near Dunlap, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 2.9 km Elevation Gain: 72 m Route Type: Loop

icy

Nice little trail with snow and great views at the bottom (1/2 ways through loop) Our dog loved it!

Its a peaceful short trail that i believe can be done by anyone. i was having troubles with my signal so the recording is a little glitchy. if there is snow when you go it may be a little difficult to keep track of the trail.

icy

Easy walk.

The ranger called this "a hands on, interactive, interpretive trail." Perfect discription, it was great for all ages! It's one of the lesser known trails, because it hasn't been over run.lt offers great panoramic views of the meadows and opportunity for perspective. I imagine at some point the wildlife thrives on this area, but we didn't see any.

Super cool! Doesn’t look like a whole lot of people do the whole loop so it was nice and quiet on the other side of the highway!

Fun for kids to climb on stumps ! Easy, less traveled hike so nice to get away from crows.

We were short on time, so we parked by the ranger station just walk to big stump and back. I wish I would’ve been able to do the rest of the hike it looked magical

Not really easy. Quite steep and downhill.

Fun trail! Lots of great stumps to see and admire!

recorded Big Stump Loop Trail

Great family hike. Educational for little ones to understand and help with preservation. Well maintained.

Super fun, easy trail. The highlight was definitely the WILDFLOWERS! They’re all over and there’s so much variety. Most of the trail is shaded and stays comfortable even during the hottest time of day. A small portion of the trail was a bit muddy/wet, so wear decent shoes. Also, bug spray is recommended.

Ideal for the family. Kids had a blast. Deer sighting. Definitely use bug spray unless you want to be attacked by mosquitos.

Great easy hike. Plenty of shade. Great for kids.

This was a pretty hike. Nice historical groves and history behind the Mark Twain stump. That being said, I mistakenly thought that this was a relatively short trail (like the General Grant trail) and found out that it was both a little longer (still less than 0.5 miles), not as well marked or obvious where to follow the trail, and with a little more of an uphill (less than the General Sherman hike) than expected.

The trail is really cool, but right before we got to mark Twain stump there was a super muddy area and broken branches that we had to try to get oven without falling into mud, then after mark Twain tree a portion of the trail after that is washed out with water running through it so we had to turn around from that point and walked through feather bed etc: probably better to hike in dryer weather! But in the meadow by the old mill there was some deer and some wildflowers too!

Mon Dec 03 2018

Fresh snow made the trail a little hard to follow in the beginning but once we found our way there wasn’t any issue. Did the hike in regular waterproof hiking boots. Probably should have used snow shoes.

Fri Aug 17 2018

Nice 50 min walk (with kids) to Mark Twain and other stumps :-)

Fri Aug 03 2018

Beautiful!!! This is perfect, short and easy hike specially for children and people who aren't true hikers. My 7 and 9yr olds enjoyed this adventure where they learned about ferns and what the largest tree in the world looks like, the majestic Sequoia!!!

Sun May 13 2018

I actually enjoyed this trail. The small little meadows were nice. The bad side is you can either hear the all the vehicles or you are beside the road. It was a nice warm up hike.

Fri May 11 2018

Nice walk with some gradual changes in elevation. Not very well marked.

Sun Mar 25 2018

so much snow I had snow coming out my ears lol it was awesome!!! the hike was very beautiful and breathtaking amazing views of some of nature's spectacular creations the giant sequoias are truly a sight to behold!!!!

Fri Jun 09 2017

Nice trail. Very beautiful scenery!

Tue Oct 11 2016

Great for our family!

Sun Sep 04 2016

This trail was great for my children. Not a lot of elevation which is great for little ones.