Big Rock Loop is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Rafael, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,118 feet Route Type: Loop

I just did an out and back to the top of Loma Alta. Great views. Very windy during golden hour.

The cows here are incredibly aggressive. Proceed with caution. We had to get rescued by the sheriff because the cows were charging us.

Nice trail! The downhill part was extremely muddy (January), difficult to do with runnjng shoes. But overall a nice trail, I started before 7 am and had an amazing sunrise! I think this trail would be better named the loma alta trail.

Awesome views! Be prepared for lots of mud and wind right now.

Windy and great views at the top.

The vistas are beautiful and as you reach the peak you can see both the Bay and Golden Gate Bridges as well as the city. It’s challenging to walk up however. It’s quite steep and fully exposed. It makes for an excellent workout. With so many options in this area I don’t know why I would do this one again but I did enjoy it. It’s definitely more for exercise than for a weekend walk in nature.

great views

Sun May 26 2019

I’d say this is more easy than moderate. Not a lot of climbing, pretty well travelled trail. There’s pretty tall grass along most of the trail so beware of ticks and stay on the trail. Mostly exposed with some points of shade. Saw some cows. Overall an enjoyable hike with decent views although the view from the top wasn’t the best in the area. Good for any skill level.

Mon Apr 29 2019

Pretty good hike with the hardest climb at the beginning. Nice wild flowers and good views. Parts of the trail were overgrown in the middle of the loop section and had trouble finding the trail once or twice.

Mon Apr 08 2019

Great views, wide open, a little muddy after a rain.

Wed Feb 06 2019

We went after a big rain so the trail was muddy and it is wide open but the views were incredible!! Easy to follow the loop.

Sun Sep 02 2018

Free parking along the side of the road. Beautiful expansive views. Absolutely no shade so keep in mind for sunny days. Some good incline on the way out but overall pretty quick moderate hike.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Great views of mountains and nature.

Sat Mar 24 2018

This hike is really the perfect day hike if you are in the mood for scenic views rather than intense canopy. There isn't much shade on this hike so I'd definitely recommend a hat, sunscreen, and most important water. Given that, I'd say that this is one of my favorite "lazy Sunday" types of hikes. It's not intense, but it's not flat either. It's a great hike to go on a picnic with your SO or a small group of friends. The views are incredible, and this hike is beyond gorgeous when it's green out. We went in late March 2018 and were the only people on the trail somehow. You can see San Francisco easily if it's not a foggy day, you can see Mt. Diablo, and you can see most of Marin as well as some glimpses of the ocean. All in all, I'd say that this is one of the best scenic hikes around.

Mon Dec 25 2017

Great moderate hike!

Sun Oct 22 2017

Really like the hike however dont use my upload - tried to extend the hike by a few miles and the trail on the map I wanted to use is blocked with no trespassing AND a camera. Easy trailhead to find, trail in good condition, get there early and see the sun rise. The hike is pretty much a fire road but the views are amazing on Marin's second highest ridge. Almost zero cover so start early or bring sunscreen. I will hike again in the winter

Sat Sep 30 2017

This app labels the miles and elevation wrong. The trail isn't even a full six miles and the elevation is less than the 2K indicated. So it wasn't the workout I was after, but the views were really pretty once you get to the actual loop part and it was very peaceful as few others were around.

Sun Sep 10 2017

okay, I only saw one hiker. Definitely nice for solitude, not much but rolling hills as far as views go. Didn't fall like 2000 feet gain....

recorded Big Rock Loop