Big Rock Hole, Redwood Grove, Ox Trail Path Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(47)
Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park

Big Rock Hole, Redwood Grove, Ox Trail Path Loop is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Santa Cruz, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,492 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail features a giant swimming hole for hot days. Hike under alders, cottonwoods, and big leaf maple to arrive at this oasis on the San Lorenzo River From the Hillbilly entrance climb down and cross the San Lorenzo River. Then The trail meander up through

Beautiful trees and scenery, but the first part of the hike is washed out. You would have to cross the river a few times to stick to this path,. We had to turn back and take an alternative route in order to join back up with the trail later on.

closed
flooded

The trail is great starting out but Buckeye trail is not there and we had to climbed down an embankment, crawled under fallen trees to cross a waist deep river to get back on the trail. Luckily, we had walking sticks. Be careful and bring battery pack and enough water.

What a crazy trail this was. I had to cross the river 4 times. Water was a tad cold but nothing I couldn’t manage. There are signs that say no pedestrian crossing on the rail road but that didn’t stop the 4 bikers and 3 other pedestrians from accessing it. If you follow my route you will certainly need water shoes or you will have to keep taking off your socks and shoes each time you cross water.

Confusing trails but beautiful.

The trails uphill are very well marked and signaled. The ones close to the river are not and they have a lot of dead ends. There is no bridge to cross the river, and there are places were you just can't walk next to it because there are big rocks on the sides. Be prepared to redo your walk.

go on a hot day and wear a bathing suit. thats how often (and deeply) you cross the river. this has got to be one of the most adventurous hikes ive ever been on, mostly because of how poorly the trail is marked. there are multiple points where i was walking in circles and plowing through branches to find where i was supposed to be. the river crossings were particularly confusing, as there was really no set entry and exit point, you just had to wing it and accept that you’d be taking a swim (which was so refreshing!) the one part that got me nervous was when the highlighted path went off the trail and instead followed the railroad track...until it didnt. at some point, i had to veer off the track and slide down an embankment, bushwacking my way to the river to cross and meet up with the trail again (water was about waist high). saw two big swimming holes (one by visitor center and garden of eden) in addition to the small swim spots along the river. i learned SO much about the area throughout this hike, and saw such beautiful scenery, just wish i had been confident in where i was going lol

Trail is overgrown and area is kinda creepy- after the second water crossing my friend and I turned around and headed back to the fire trail. I wouldn’t recommend doing this hike alone, or really with anyone else.

This is a moderate trail that can be tricky but if your looking for a private swimming hole, this is it. Its a moderate climb down so be prepared for hike back up. Not super little kid friendly but 8 and up could easily complete it.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Stunning

Mon Apr 16 2018

Don’t take this hike in the winter or early spring. We were prepared for a 6 mile hike but at the end of the loop, when we were supposed to cross the river and climb the hill back to the car, we found that the river was way too high to cross. What was supposed to be a 6 mile hike turned into a 10 mile hike. Also, this hike has you walking on train track (not pleasant) for a long time and then crossing a trestle. Wouldn’t you know it, the train came when we were right in the middle. This is a beautiful area but don’t take this hike.

Fri Jan 26 2018

Don't get me wrong...the scenery is beautiful no matter where you go. I had to give this 1 star because the trails were so poorly marked and washed out that we never actually made it to most of the hike. We spent the whole time following random trails that went nowhere. We are experienced hikers so we still had fun. No trail maps either. Bummer.

Sun Nov 12 2017

Great hike - Trailhead easy to find - a lot of parking first thing in the AM - Great redwoods - crossing the first few streams were easy however after mile 5 it became a little more pf a challenge. You take Ox Trail on the backend. You then take a left to go down to the San Lorenzo River however the left isnt well marked at all. Crossing the River was a little harder on this part of the hike in that the water was up to my upper thigh.... and cold. I will come back but skip the loop

Mon Oct 09 2017

Great hike! Very quiet trail. The fork leading to Big Rock Hole is a bit misleading as there is a tree laying over the trail. Just climb over it and keep going! Beautiful place.

Sun Jun 25 2017

Solid hike with nice flowing river.

Tue Apr 04 2017

I didn't do the loop but found the rope swing by the big rock and Moshed through the river which was a beast , I could fart around here all day fun place .