Big River Trail

Big River Trail is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Mendocino, California that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, and canoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

super pretty river surrounded by redwoods. can go on for a long ways!

Construction complete. Trail open 1/20/18. New gravel down along primary and secondary trails, still some storm runoff and standing water, all easily passable, but be prepared. New bridge as well. Cold sunrise start but a great day hike. Look for river otter activity and listen for the woodpeckers.

Trail closed under construction 11/18 2017

Lovely! Easy hike with fun and beautiful views everywhere.

Ran this a couple times, peaceful and pretty

Great trail with a lot of wildlife.

gorgeous trail that follows river, mostly flat. would be five stars except sections of trail veer away from river and are less scenic.

Fun.. we kayaked upon to the wood thing. Docked and walked about 3 more miles in.. it was a fun adventure.. and super simple.. ..(Ok, accept for finding a trail to the main trail after we came off the river.. but not too bad, my wife was 5 months pregnant and made it.. and after we even had time and energy to do falls bike/hike one or 2 rivers N.. (Russian glitch..). and no we are not early risers..

paddle sports
Thursday, December 20, 2012

I kayaked the Big River recently and it was fantastic! I saw more wildlife than I've ever seen on a single day trip, including river otters, harbor seals, and a wide variety of aquatic birds.

There are also remnants of the logging industry that existed there many years ago that provide some interest.

The trail that runs along the river seems to be an old road and is popular with bikers.

I paddled upstream for about 5 1/2 hours and got back in just 1 1/2 or so. In that time I saw two paddle boarders on the river and caught glimpses of a few riders on the trail. I was very surprised to see the harbor seals that far up the river, and had a great time watching the otters playing.

It was a cold and overcast day and I almost decided to skip this but went anyway and it was awesome!

recorded Big River Trail