Big Pine Lakes Trail

Big Pine Lakes Trail is a 13.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Big Pine, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Worth the hard climb. Hiked this trail during the summer, bring a lot of water!!!!!!! So beautiful but I was sore for two days

The Big Pine Lakes trail is absolutely stunning and beautiful. Nice trails and great fishing. We Stayed in Big Pine at an Airbnb. "Big Pine Cottage Hideaway. The perfect place in Big Pine to access the lakes trails. This place is wonderful you have to see it. And it is dog friendly.

Spectacular views. Perfect winter weather. Awesome group of hikers who were helpful when I exhibited signs of altitude sickness.

Such a wonderful and great hike this time of year. The colors of the trees were amazing and you get lost in nature’s splendor. We didn’t do the whole loop, but went up to the cabin and rested by the well flowing stream. Plan to come back next year and do the whole thing!

This trail offers spectacular views of beauty but be prepared. It’s roughly a three hour intense hike (about 4.5 miles) to the first lake but well worth it. We did it yesterday and couldn’t be happier.

Anyone looking at doing the trail this weekend and have any thoughts about the potential snow rolling in on Saturday/Sunday?

Beautiful lakes

This is one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever done. We started at the trailhead off of Glacier Lodge Road and hiked to 3rd lake. There was so much fall foliage to look at and when you get that first glimpse of turquoise water at first lake, you just want to stay there and admire. But don’t! Keep going because it’s beautiful. We did over 13 mikes and the terrain is nice and soft. I had no aches or pains after this hike. Loved it!

awesome even for day hiking...much more for overnite camping

Totally Awesome, I am so out of shap

amazing hike and scenery!

This hike exceeded my expectations. Really pretty with good variety, and swimming in the freezing lakes was so fun. We brought our dogs and hot on the way out for them but they loved everything else, especially playing in the streams. Highly recommend

There is elevation gain the whole way but it is gradual. Stunning meadows and waterfalls before you get to the first lake about 5 mi in. Second lake is right around the corner. Do make sure to get to the lake front and take a photo. Lake three is another 15 min. Turned around there for a day hike. Took 7.5 hours. Lovely.

One of the best hikes there is. Camped at Big Pine Creek Campground near trailhead night before. Parked in Day use only parking at 7:30am on a Friday and only 3 other cars there. No problems with mosquitos. Got to first and second Lake around 10:30am. stunning lakes. Took a quick swim in - freezing but it was necessary. Made it to 5th lake but had to finish it off there and complete the loop through Black Lake because not enough water (brought 4 liters for 2). Made it back to trailhead Parking at 4am. It was hot on the way out but lots of people hiking in still in the afternoon.

This hike was everything I hoped for and more! Even the trail itself is amazing. I did this as a day hike; started at 9:30am and finished at 7:30pm. I made it to the Second Lake, I could have made it to the Third, however I decided to spend my time swimming and eating lunch at the Second Lake. By then, 3:30 rolled by and we decided we should probably head back. I am 100% doing this hike again, except I will backpack it and be sure to stay at least 2 nights up there just so I can see all 7 lakes and the Palisade Glacier. The lakes are JUST as they look in the pictures, if not better. The water is pure blue and very cold. I want to say by the 3 mile mark up to the lakes, you come across Lon Chaney's cabin. It's right off the trail and such a cool thing to see. He had his cabin right next to Big Pine Creek and it's very peaceful and a nice place to rest. This is a hike that you'll want to do again! I loved every second of it.

the views were spectacular, the trails were well maintained. I already want to go back.

Beautiful hike. Completed on 7/18/17, no issues with snow. The trail goes gradually uphill until you reach the lakes. There is not made shade. Bring sunscreen and bug spray. It's totally worth it.

Gorgeous

I camped at Second Lake on 7/3/17, this place is absolutely beautiful!! The trail up was clear and easy to follow. It is an exposed hike and I definitely regretted starting the hike at noon since I spent most of it being cooked by the sun! However, I will say I was sorely disappointed in how many fire pits there were at Second Lake. I counted over 5 in just the small area we camped. There are prominent signs on the trail clearly stating "No Fires" and campers are reminded by the rangers when they pick up permits that fires are not allowed. Not only is it a huge risk because fire danger in Inyo National Forest is currently at a "Very High" but it takes away from the experience for other campers. Please remember to practice LNT and respect these places!! Other than that this trail is a perfect 10/10!