Big Meadow to Scotts Lake

Big Meadow to Scotts Lake is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lots of water on the trail so wear footwear that's appropriate. Lots of flowers and butterflies, shaded most of the time, terrific scenery. Make sure you don't miss the waterfalls at the lake, turn right and follow side trail along the lake. You'll hear it as you get closer. The lake is reasonably warm to swim in during the mid to late summer providing you have some beach shoes with you. The trail goes through several zones from open territory to aspen shaded sections. Trailhead is at 2257 Elm Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150, USA

Nice hike would give it 3.5 stars if that was an option. It's mostly uphill, the first have mile or so is the steepest then it becomes more gradual. Only saw one other hiker, went on a weekday.

Nice trail, not too many rocks. Lots of mosquitos on our way in not too many in the afternoon. Lots of wildflowers and the Lake was nice, chilly but refreshing. Water is really high this year, not much beach area. Some people camping and some horses too. Overall a good hike!

Easy trail. Very beautiful. It had been a couple years since I had been in the wilderness and I picked the perfect trial. Had an awesome time. A little snow to cross but not a big deal and some small streams running through the trail here and there but I sank in no more than 3 inches. My waterproof Garmonts were awesome. I love tahoe and the wilderness. Makes me feel I understand my life and ok with it. Simple. I met a handful of nice people along the way too.

Sunday, February 14, 2016

The trail is listed incorrectly on the above map. This also causes for a incorrect search.
We were snow shoeing so there was very little foot traffic plus I think in made the lake a little nicer to look at.
It's pretty awesome the stuff Mother nature produces. The broken dead trees in the lake bed are worth seeing when there is 3' of snow on the ground.
Not sure about the fence listed in below post. Never ran into any fence???
It was a nice snow shoe trail and recommend it.
Forte's post is well put.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

This was a nice hike. I meant to do the Big Meadows to Round Lake but veered to left before getting to Big Meadows. It's a pretty steady upward climb. Skimmed along the edge of Big Meadow for a bit! Dogs had a blast. Slow steady incline from 7288 to 8092 ft! We came across a dead bird with entrails which one of my dogs found very disturbing! The hike is actually about 7.4 miles from the Big Meadow trailhead parking lot to the lake. About 1/4 mile before reaching the lake there is a big barbed wire fence! I was very WTF?! The dogs scooted under and I found a big rock to the right of the trail to climb over the fence easier. The lake is very disappointing - it feels dead with broken jagged trunks and dark, murky water. There is apparently a road in that you can drive and a few people were camping. Between the dead bird, the barbed wire and the eerie appearance of the lake, it was somewhat a letdown, but a beautiful hike regardless. For beauty at the end, take the Big Meadows to Round Lake trail!

Saturday, July 19, 2014

A very nice trail that I would classify as easy to moderate, depending on the age of any children. The trail climbs at a rate that you really do not know that you are climbing as much as you are. You really realize it when you make the return.

The lake is a manmade lake at the end of the hiking trail as well as the end of an OHV trail from the opposite side. It is always disapointing to see mechanized visitors in the high country. The lake is reasonably warm to swim in during the mid to late summer providing you have some beach shoes with you.

The trail goes through several zones from open territory to aspen shaded sections. Both my wife and I liked the trail with the view of the lake as average (in relationship to other nearby lakes).

Tuesday, August 16, 2016