Big Meadow to Round Lake

Big Meadow to Round Lake is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I love to snowshoe this trail. Beautiful!

This trail is short but fairly demanding. It's a constant minor grade for the extent of the rail after you pass through the meadow. That being said, it is entirely worth the effort. The lake is fairly deep and on surrounded by hills and mountains. On one side there is a mountain that looks completely alien to its environment. It's really spectacular. We were able to climb some of the smaller granite hills that surround one side of the lake for some incredible views. Saw a water snake or two by the rocks, and heard plenty of beautiful bird calls. Bring some bug spray as the mosquitos are out in full force from the forest to the water side. My young dog loved the trip but I'd refrain from bringing any old dogs or young children. All in all a trail I'll definitely be visiting again.

Many types of experiences with forests, plateaus and lake. Amazing. Not very steep but you are going up most of the way. Trail is well travelled and clear. You'll definitely run into other hikers and campers. Make sure you pack insect repellent as once you hit forest you will be swarming with mosquitos. We went for day and took about 4.5 hours rt since we explored lake once there. You can do it in 3-5 depending on shape you are in. Had I known lake was so amazing, I would have camped out.

Beautiful hike and perfect for an overnight backpacking trip. The trail is beautifully maintained. We went from Big Meadow to Round Lake, and then made our way to Lake Dardanelles where we set up camp for the night. The only negative is that there are a ton of mosquitoes, so even if you use copious amounts of DEET, you're likely to get bitten up. Other than that, it was such a beautiful hike.

This is a nice easy walk with great wildflower views. It is always buggy so bring a long sleeve shirt. Popular hike so start early to avoid the crowd.

Loved it bring your bug spray

We finally made it to round lake. 3.5 hours and 8.4 miles.
The snow is melting fast so we didn't have to use our shoe's much. Great trail!

I'm only doing a post on this due to the description showing snowshoeing. I did not finish nor get to where I wanted to be. I would advise getting familiar with the trail before snow shoeing. I had never hiked this trail and the 2' of fresh powder we had made it just that much harder to stay on track, plus the GPS fades out in the trees. The snow was deep and I was trail blazing in the fresh powder. The wife was cold; 5deg out when we pulled up. Had to jump down and cross the road with 4' walls of snow on each side. The hike was good until we got to the Big Meadow; fresh powder and 25+mph wind made it fun to cross. This is when she decided she had enough. I guess I'll have to go back next week to give it another shot!