Big Laguna Mountain Loop Trail

Big Laguna Mountain Loop Trail is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mount Laguna, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did the counterclockwise loop, first half is alpine meadows and forest then once you get to the PCT it transitions to desert hills with amazing views of the desert.

What a great hike , talk about a mix up of different terrain around every corner!

You work up a good sweat just enough to keep you awake and feeling good!

5/5 recommended

We height the back Loop of this Trail 12 miles today. Started on the PCT looped all the way around to both Laguna Lakes and back out to Trailhead. Great day with great folks!

Good, steady moderate trail. First half terrain, pure mountains and second half pure high desert. Great views of Anza Borrego and the walk through Laguna meadows is beautiful. Damage from the prior fire very evident in some sections. If your on foot keep an eye out for the mountain bikers... Laguna meadows seems to be a popular trail for them.

I did the BLT > PCT loop, which I highly recommend starting with the BLT. I went towards the Noble Canyon trail, but took a left at the junction instead of continuing to Noble Canyon/Pine Valley. There were several mountain bikers as well. You'll know you're on the right trail when it says "To PCT".

About an hour in, you get to see the Laguna Meadows which was beautiful. I stopped at the Lake to eat my lunch. Getting back onto the trail, I got to a point where there was a fence with an opening in front of me and a mini wooden 5 foot long bridge on my right. I took the right, which lead to the PCT. I believe if you go straight, it leads to the campground.

Note: always follow the signs that says BLT TO PCT. If there isn't a PCT on the sign, don't go that way if you want to do the loop.

There were a couple other times where there was a junction and no sign, so I took out my map (which I uploaded to this page) and my iPhone compass, and easily found the right path.

The BLT is mostly meadows while the PCT is more mountains. The PCT was amazing, and when you reach the first junction on the PCT, you'll see a mountain to your right which you can quickly climb and see the amazing view. I would highly suggest this, it takes about 45 minutes there and back including pictures.

Getting pack onto the PCT, I stopped by Forester Point, which is an awesome spot to take a break and have a snack. Then I got back onto the PCT and finished. I got back around 5 (started at 11:30), and the sun was setting so I didn't get a chance to go up Garnet Peak. If you have another 2 miles in you, I heard it's pretty nice up there.

This took my 5 hours because I took a rather long lunch break at the Laguna Lake and hung out at Forester Point for a bit. The trails are very well kept and not much climbing whatsoever (unless if you are climbing up the mountain on the PCT to take pictures)

Overall, I highly recommend this for an easy 10 mile day hike. Easy as in your quads, butt, hamstrings, won't be on fire since it's a gradual incline. If you want, there are a good amount of camping spots on the PCT portion of the loop.

One of my favorite trails.

A solid hike. Nice views of desert.

This was such a scenic hike. I want to do it again soon.

Great Hike, Great App.

A great moderate trial includes forest, meadow and desert view!

July 27th - Beautiful day - Beautiful hike - moderate effort due to length and altitude. There were several mountain bikers otherwise deserted. There were Mountain lion tracks on the upward trail to the Sunrise Highway. Saw a single deer off the PCT.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Fun and easy trail.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

First time hiking this area. Beautiful views. Trails are well marked.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Great view of desert, mostly flat on West side of Sunrise hwy

Monday, January 16, 2017

Did this hike after it snowed. We barely saw any people, except for some mountain bikers at the very beginning. Great trail to do in the winter when there's snow, or in the spring when the grass is green and the lake is full. Definitely not a difficult trail, so it's great to do sections of it with little kids. I'm looking forward to doing the whole trail when there's no snow on the ground.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

My Son (14) did about half this hike. Lots of snow and we didn't see anyone once we got away from the trail head. Absolutely beautiful up there. The weather was very nice. Clear and about 40 degrees.

Monday, November 07, 2016

got lucky perfect weather. first time on trail look forward to running again during the other 3 seasons.

recorded Big Laguna Mountain Loop Trail