Big Horn Mine Trail

Big Horn Mine Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Great, leisurely hike with some inclines peppered along the way to give you a good sweat. Beautiful scenery through the entire trail. Please remember: Wear appropriate footwear. Practice “Leave No Trace” etiquette

please avoid the night hike! We encounter 4 aggressive mountain lions. We didn't get to finish the hike. follow skyhighhiking on I.g for more adventure.

Nice hike with the kids. Graffiti was disappointing but we enjoyed ourselves very much.

This used to be one of my favorite hikes. I have not been on it for about a year. I was so dissapointed today, because the graffiti has gotten way worse. It used to be just at the mine itself. well now it's all the way along the trail, even on Trees. Somone needs to find these creeps and spay paint all over thier bodies and see how they like it. Disgusting and very sad. We went this morning, the view is still amaxing from the mine. We went up super early to avoid the heat, so we didnt see any hooligans. it was very depressing to see the destruction of nature.

You’re drawn in by all the photos you’ve seen of the mine and it’s window framed view of Thunder Mtn, Mt Baldy, and Iron Mtn. Well, the other side of this popular and easy hike is that it brings taggers, punk kids that litter, and folks that just want to get drunk and high at the mine. One and done.

Saw a snake. Great views. I really enjoyed the hike

We were two families with kids aged 4 and 5 with us. It is a great hike with lovely weather. There are some rocky narrow patches but nothing that cannot be done if the kids cooperate. The mine is quite old. Nice view of the mountains and the river basin. We also encountered a mini waterfall near the mine. It was quite refreshing. The trail is partly shaded. Parking lot is big. We reached at 11.30 am on Sunday and there were lot of parking spaces left. The restroom on the trailhead - not clean. The greenery on the trail is really welcoming and we saw lots of beautiful wildflowers. All in all - a nice family hike on Father's day!

Great reward of a view/location for a short hike. Elevation gain is not too bad, pretty easy but I am in decent shape. Maybe about 45min one way. I went about 1/4 mile into cave...but its pitch black, wouldn’t go in w/o a good lamp. Who knows how far it goes but there are several deviations in cave.

Was a great trail, but wouldn’t say easy and I’m in great shape. Few slippery spots and narrow areas. Be mindful that you are in the wilderness. Saw a king snake, was informed by two separate hiking groups of a rattler near the cave by the mine. Also saw a deer crossing the hillside.

This was a fun hike! We got a late start driving up from LA (2:30pm), which actually worked to our advantage because a lot of the morning traffic was heading back to the parking lot and we had most of the trail and the mine to ourselves! The weather was also perfect - 77° and sunny. You’ll definitely break a sweat on a couple of the steeper climbs, but for the most part the trail is a nice gradual incline. There are a few areas that are washed out which feels a little sketchy, but totally fine if you just concentrate and watch your footing. The scramble up to the mine itself is also a little sketchy, but totally doable. We were back to the car around 5pm - we took our time on the way up taking photos and breaks to take in the views and we hung around the mine for a good 15-20 mins. My only negative about this trail is all the graffiti and destruction to the landscape. I will never understand what motivates people to tag graffiti on mother nature. Aside from that, this is a great hike and the views from the mine are absolutely amazing.

Bighorn Mine is just sublime! This hike is awesome!
It's relatively short and easy. It has epic views throughout, a good amount of foresty tree shade throughout, and the mine itself is a wonder in it's own right. The platform of the main structure is a great play to chill in the shade and soak in the mountain views. Up to the left of the structure is the main entrance to the mine. It has a door on the mine that can be open, and then are warnings of death! If you've got a headlamp or flashlight and you are not afraid, walk a few hundred feet into the mine to get to a juncture where there is water flowing to another mine opening nearby, yet water is flowing, so I stopped at the juncture.

All in all, I had an amazing hike. This is now one of my favorites. I filmed and edited a vlog for this trail. You can check it out here: https://youtu.be/TmPHA197BgI

Also here's some music for the trail: http://sptfy.com/G00

An easy to moderate hike with incredible views of Mt. Baldy and surrounding peaks. It's a busy trail, but worth it.

This hike is a moderate hike with some uphill inclines and some washed away path areas but nothing that can’t be done. Beautiful views and a fun hike!! At the end is an old mine that you can go in just remember to bring a good flashlight!

BEAUTIFUL view at the end! Very rewarding!
An easy hike, with some inclines to give you a little sweat. Love love this hike!

This mine is perfect for a simple day out. The trail is mostly covered by trees which keeps it nice and cool.
We brought our small children here several times.

Hike is short and rewarding with a great landscape view and cool little mine. Well worth it.

Finally did this hike, it’s been on my list of hikes for some time now. Overall it’s probably 1-2 hour hike. There were some dicey spots on this trail mainly where the rock slide areas are. Great for kids and dogs. Did this one with my dog and he did fine with the exception of dicey spots.
One recommendation is do this one early morning so you can beat the crowd. I was fortunate enough to get there when no one was around the mine. I was able to relax take some good shots and just enjoy the natural environment, sounds and fresh air.

In addition you will need an adventure pass. If you haven’t purchase one yet spend the 20-30$ to get a pass for the whole year.

Beautiful views and a fun trail with enough variation to keep the hike engaging. The mine itself is a great reward at the end of the journey.

Great trail. Says easy but I would rate it moderate.

Remember to buy an adventure pass at the visitors center. Park at Vincent Gap parking lot. Walk to the path going downwards, it has a gate lowered on it. The signs weren’t really clear, just follow the Mine Gulch trail and then after a short walk you find the Big Horn Mine trail sign. It was an easy hike, some spots had a landslide of rocks making it a little more challenging to pass by, but not impossible. Definitely rewarding to make it to the top and to see that view.

great hike ! the storms have definitely caused some wash out areas as you proceed to the mine . but my buddy and I made it safely to the mine and even made it inside the mine with our headlamps . nice 49 degrees and full sun made for an excellent adventure !

Went on this hike just today, and it's partly covered with snow at points with lots of mud and wet spots. About a third to halfway through the hike, footing gets to be a problem with the snow and collapsed trail. But after the first half, it's smooth sailing.

nice day hike, easy going with great views. Add Vincent's cabin to finish the day.

Semi decent hike. Lots of people, no trail etiquette period (almost all had no idea ascent has right of way, people climbing and hiking off the trails, passed by many at dangerous locations). A Lot of graffiti and vandalism as well. The mine is open, though by vandalism, and fairly clean as far as we could see. Took a large group of kids with us and they had no problems.

Dads x

This is one of my favorite hikes! Just did it today and there was a bit of ice and snow in spots. There is also an area where it's been washed out. You can still get across to the other part of the trail, just be sure to watch your footing. If you have trekking poles, I would recommend them, especially with the icy spots. Great view once you get to the top!

Fun easy dog and kid friendly hike! Seeing that mine at the end was awesome! I wish I would have taken a flashlight to go in to the mine. Next time!

Really nice hike. The pine trees on the way up were beautiful. The mine is really cool. Stopped in town for some coffee on the way out in Wrightwood at The Village Grind. Really nice people and great coffee and cinnamon roll. We will be back again.

Great, leisurely hike with some inclines peppered along the way to give you a good sweat. Would absolutely recommend, but remember:

Wear appropriate footwear.
Practice “Leave No Trace” etiquette
Ascent has right of way
No one wants to hear your music, keep the speakers in the car and be courteous of others who are trying to enjoy themselves.

Great hike that takes you to an amazing view.