Big Horn Mine Trail

Big Horn Mine Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

First of all start at the trail head on Angeles crest highway that way its only 4.5 miles. We are in our mid 50's pretty good shape. We started at 0930 and its ALL UP HILL to get there about 2miles. Lots of shade, bring plenty of water eat something before you go. You can park at the trail stay to the right, it will divide stay to the right not the cabin. Its a beautiful walk get there early so you won't get that much sun. Some steep thin rocky trail but very well marked. Once you get there its very historic and they someone cut through the metal gate and if you are small enough you can go through. Be careful bring plenty of flashlights and water you could get lost inside the mine. The mine itself is pretty neat very historic, if you can imagine ( its doesn't look like this anymore) http://californiathroughmylens.com/big-horn-mine-vincent-cabin the weather has taken its tol but still neat. When you get to the trail head walk behind the white gate that's where it starts.. We will be back to see the cabin. I would where good boots . Make sure you look at the link. If you go early enough no bugs, we got to the mine at about 1030am sat morning and there was a nice little fall clear water and little to no bugs, so anyone that says there are bugs remember this is wilderness. Good Luck have fun

great trail to hike if you do the actual big horn mine trail! we got to see some wildlife along the way and it is a clearly marked trail. the mine at the end was worth the hike too! the other trail at the fork (to the left) was infested with flies, nats, an other bugs that were just all over us so we turned back about half way through that one.

Hike Big Horn Mine 8/5/17 with my hiking partners. It was a fun hike. Some trails are narrow just need to be careful with that. We hike extra miles due to the road was closed. We parked near the Grassy Hollow. Hiking the Big Horn Mine was easy but with the road closed, it made it tougher for us going back to where we park. Make sure to bring lots of water. Definitely going back once the road is open. The scenery is amazing. Breathtaking. Love it

Gorgeous scenery, mild hike and easy for everyone to access

The road to the parking lot is officially open. :) this makes the hike less than 5 miles round trip. Relatively easy hike with a wonderful view at the top. Highly recommend!

This was one of my favorite experiences. Went into the mine too and it was scary. Views are spectacular.

Great trail! New to hiking and it was challenging enough but easy. My first attempt I brought my 40 pound Cockapoo mutt. We made it 75% of the way and had to turn around because his paw pads couldn't handle the rocky parts of the trail. He gave up on life so we had to carry him back, work out of the century. Do not bring dogs who are not used to that type of terrain, and keep in mind you might have to carry them! Second attempt was amazing, my chihuahua handled it well. There's spots in the shade when you need a break. Some narrow pathways but I found those to be exciting! Also spotted 4 Bighorn sheep lunching on a bush. I didn't want to come back once I got to the mine, views are amazing.

Great hike. Last time I was up there I took my hammock and just chilled at the mine. Also had to rescue a college girl that decided to go down the hill after her cell phone. Never a dull adventure

Great hike. Much tougher with the road closed since the road starts downhill for about 2 miles which means you'll have to end uphill. Logged in about 11 miles total. The trail itself is fun. Not a whole lot of elevation, but enough to make it challenging. Lots of loose rock to walk on and some parts of the trail are skinny. Just need to take your time through sketchy parts.

Will come back when the road opens. This hike is 20 times easier when you can park at or near the trailhead.

The trail is open. Huge downside is that the parking is 2.7 miles from the start of the trail. The downhill walk to the start of the trail was fine, but we dreaded the walk back to the car (at Grassy Hollow and no pass necessary if you park in the highway). We were part of the few people that hitched a ride with the park ranger back to the car, as mentioned by a previous comment. Please be aware, I'm not sure if the park ranger does that on a daily basis, so do not expect a ride back. There is little shade on the road. Other than that, the trail is great! I'd do it again for sure.

THIS TRAIL IS OPEN. You will have to hike an additional 5ish miles though to get there until the road opens.
Park at Grassy Hollow and walk down Hwy 2 to Vincent Gap. Please be aware that there is little to no shade on the Hwy. Plan accordingly. We saw a few groups get driven out by the forest service because they had run out of water. Eek.
The sinkhole is 95% under the asphalt on the downhill slope side of the road. If you're hoping to see it...sorry. It looks like a pothole right now (construction to repair it has not yet started). It is .5 mile from Grassy Hollow.
The Big Horn Mine Trail is great. Easy and rewarding. Perfect spot to hang out and have lunch!
We did hear from others that the inside of the mine currently has water levels up to a grown man's knee. We opted to stay dry and only ventured to the portion where the water started to pool.

Will give 5 stars when road reopens.

One of the better hikes I've done in SoCal. Currently the road to the big horn mine trail start point is closed so be prepared for an extra 2 miles to start and another 2 miles to get back to your car. My distance tracker clocked in 11 miles during the hike, but that included the approximate mile of exploring the really cool cave at the top of the mine. Be prepared! Not a hard hike as long as you are well equipped with water, sunscreen, and comfy shoes