Big Horn Mine Trail

Big Horn Mine Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

closed

Hike Big Horn Mine 8/5/17 with my hiking partners. It was a fun hike. Some trails are narrow just need to be careful with that. We hike extra miles due to the road was closed. We parked near the Grassy Hollow. Hiking the Big Horn Mine was easy but with the road closed, it made it tougher for us going back to where we park. Make sure to bring lots of water. Definitely going back once the road is open. The scenery is amazing. Breathtaking. Love it

Gorgeous scenery, mild hike and easy for everyone to access

The road to the parking lot is officially open. :) this makes the hike less than 5 miles round trip. Relatively easy hike with a wonderful view at the top. Highly recommend!

This was one of my favorite experiences. Went into the mine too and it was scary. Views are spectacular.

Great trail! New to hiking and it was challenging enough but easy. My first attempt I brought my 40 pound Cockapoo mutt. We made it 75% of the way and had to turn around because his paw pads couldn't handle the rocky parts of the trail. He gave up on life so we had to carry him back, work out of the century. Do not bring dogs who are not used to that type of terrain, and keep in mind you might have to carry them! Second attempt was amazing, my chihuahua handled it well. There's spots in the shade when you need a break. Some narrow pathways but I found those to be exciting! Also spotted 4 Bighorn sheep lunching on a bush. I didn't want to come back once I got to the mine, views are amazing.

Great hike. Last time I was up there I took my hammock and just chilled at the mine. Also had to rescue a college girl that decided to go down the hill after her cell phone. Never a dull adventure

Great hike. Much tougher with the road closed since the road starts downhill for about 2 miles which means you'll have to end uphill. Logged in about 11 miles total. The trail itself is fun. Not a whole lot of elevation, but enough to make it challenging. Lots of loose rock to walk on and some parts of the trail are skinny. Just need to take your time through sketchy parts.

Will come back when the road opens. This hike is 20 times easier when you can park at or near the trailhead.

The trail is open. Huge downside is that the parking is 2.7 miles from the start of the trail. The downhill walk to the start of the trail was fine, but we dreaded the walk back to the car (at Grassy Hollow and no pass necessary if you park in the highway). We were part of the few people that hitched a ride with the park ranger back to the car, as mentioned by a previous comment. Please be aware, I'm not sure if the park ranger does that on a daily basis, so do not expect a ride back. There is little shade on the road. Other than that, the trail is great! I'd do it again for sure.

THIS TRAIL IS OPEN. You will have to hike an additional 5ish miles though to get there until the road opens.
Park at Grassy Hollow and walk down Hwy 2 to Vincent Gap. Please be aware that there is little to no shade on the Hwy. Plan accordingly. We saw a few groups get driven out by the forest service because they had run out of water. Eek.
The sinkhole is 95% under the asphalt on the downhill slope side of the road. If you're hoping to see it...sorry. It looks like a pothole right now (construction to repair it has not yet started). It is .5 mile from Grassy Hollow.
The Big Horn Mine Trail is great. Easy and rewarding. Perfect spot to hang out and have lunch!
We did hear from others that the inside of the mine currently has water levels up to a grown man's knee. We opted to stay dry and only ventured to the portion where the water started to pool.

Will give 5 stars when road reopens.

One of the better hikes I've done in SoCal. Currently the road to the big horn mine trail start point is closed so be prepared for an extra 2 miles to start and another 2 miles to get back to your car. My distance tracker clocked in 11 miles during the hike, but that included the approximate mile of exploring the really cool cave at the top of the mine. Be prepared! Not a hard hike as long as you are well equipped with water, sunscreen, and comfy shoes

Despite the road being closed that takes you straight to the trail head, this hike wasn't all that bad. Once you park at Grassy Hollows, traverse down the paved road, which is about 2-2.5 miles, where you can see what's causing this road closure (a sink hole on the left hand side).

On the way down, you get a great view of Baden Powell especially during the early morning. The actual Big Horn Mine trail is about a 4 mile there and back and is shady at the start but slowly becomes more open spaced towards the mine. Once you're at the mine, take a moment to take in the scenery and take lots of instagram worthy photos.

Bring enough water as this turned out to be a 9-10 mile hike. I suggest going early to beat the heat since you'll be out in the open when you hike down the road to the trail head. I started at 6AM and finished around 9:30AM/10AM. Have fun!

Road is closed !!! You'll need to walk 2 miles until you get
to your starting point!! reasons being of a "sink hole". Take lots of water I went with a crew of 4 and we almost got dehydrated because of lack of water. Didn't realize the hike would be this crucial did it at peak of noon so I've already have made a bad decision. road closures didn't help at all drained us 2 miles so total of 9 miles. It's easy for amateur hikers i wouldn't recommend it to beginners. Lots of up hills and narrow pathways! Over all I'd like to try it again but until road opens up. Wish they would clear or add some gravel some path ways along the trail. It was an experience I'd never forget. Life is great :) drink water

Pleasent, easy trail that is well maintained and trafficked.

road was close and nothing said any thing about until we got to see a sign said it was close and almost hit the gate