Big Horn Mine Trail (CLOSED)

Big Horn Mine Trail (CLOSED) is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

closed

Road is closed !!! You'll need to walk 2 miles until you get
to your starting point!! reasons being of a "sink hole". Take lots of water I went with a crew of 4 and we almost got dehydrated because of lack of water. Didn't realize the hike would be this crucial did it at peak of noon so I've already have made a bad decision. road closures didn't help at all drained us 2 miles so total of 9 miles. It's easy for amateur hikers i wouldn't recommend it to beginners. Lots of up hills and narrow pathways! Over all I'd like to try it again but until road opens up. Wish they would clear or add some gravel some path ways along the trail. It was an experience I'd never forget. Life is great :) drink water

Pleasent, easy trail that is well maintained and trafficked.

road was close and nothing said any thing about until we got to see a sign said it was close and almost hit the gate

Note: The road is still closed as of 6/12. Sinkhole is being filled up. Check road conditions before going. The trail is still open. I parked in the Grassy Hollow picnic area and hiked 2 miles down to the trail.

7-9am on a clear day gives the best photo opportunity. A thin blue veil cascades down the mountain and makes for the best Bob Ross painting. Hike is mild. Shade isn't plenty but there's no difficulty traversing the terrain so it's not too much of a pain to hike mid day.

There's two different mines. The "free candy" mine has water that goes as far up as the knees. If you feel like trespassing you can limbo through the slit you can explore about 400 ft in before you hit a cave in. Skip this one if you didn't prepare to get your feet wet. Water is ice cold!

The bigger mine is located on the upper left hand side of the mining building. Scaffolding is old and rotting, careful on the way up. There's many tunnels in there, but plenty of arrows to point the way back out. Fun to explore!

Thien N.-
I agree, there should be a messaging system on here. I'm afraid you're not doing this trail this weekend. The 2 is closed from the 39 to Blue Ridge Rd because of the sinkhole. I had wanted to do this hike this weekend too :(

Thank you Paige for informing others about the trail!

06/08/17 - Road to this trail is closed due to sinkhole that appeared on 06/07/17. Workmen couldn't provide ETA of fix date.

Best hike I have done so far. The view is amazing. The trail is relatively easy compared to others I have done. The hike takes about 2.5 hours total, up and down. The trail is moderately trafficked. The ending rewards you with some great pictures to take.

Best hike ever! The trail starts off along the mountain, there's abandoned mine shafts and running streams of spring water. We went inside the mine shaft...It's really dark, we were using our cell phone lights. There's also running water inside the mines. I wore nikes and just stepped on the dry spots. For some reason, people also like to poop in the caves so be careful lol. But I 100% recommend this hike! Very exciting!