Big Horn Mine Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Great, leisurely hike with some inclines peppered along the way to give you a good sweat. Beautiful scenery through the entire trail. Please remember: Wear appropriate footwear. Practice “Leave No Trace” etiquette If you want to see the entrance of the mine, you will need to climb up the broken wood. There are steel bars blocking the entrance to the mine.

DON’T UNDERESTIMATE THE SNOW! This hike is rated easy, but it gets really hard with the snow. There’s a lot of icy patches and snow on the side. There is a very very narrow path leading to the first mine and another one after the first mine. I was basically hugging the side of the mountain. Not recommended for kids right now. Please wear hiking boots or chains on your shoes! I made it to the first mine, but I was unable to continue cause I was wearing the wrong shoes. I will be back to finish this hike once I get the right shoes!!!

Trail was heavily trafficked. Hikers were playing music with no respect to others around them. People brought aggressive dogs on the trail which bit other dogs and people did not clean up after their dogs. A man smoked his cigarette where the group of other hikers were hanging out... disgusting. If you hike for the instagram photo this is one for you. If you like to hike to be one with nature... pick a different trail.

Nice easy trail to follow with an awesome view. Start early and be prepared for crowds since it’s a short hike. Dress in layers if you’re going during cooler windier weather. We went during some Santa Ana winds and definitely felt the wind chill. Pack a lunch and enjoy the view from the mine.

The mine is also cool to check out, but make sure you have a headlamp. Be careful of low clearances in the mine.

What an incredible view once you reach the summit!!!
There are some narrow parts in the trail, make sure your shoes are appropriate. Moderate hike 2.0

I enjoyed the hiking aspect of this trail, but I found the vandalism (graffiti) overwhelming. It greatly detracted from the beauty of the surrounding forest and mountains. I will never understand how someone would make the effort to go out into the woods and then ruin it. The mine itself could transport you mentally to a bygone era, but the graffiti just makes you think of the inner city after an apocalypse. Just SAD!

Stunning. Totally worth it. Easy hike, the difficulty starts at the mine. Easy to get lost inside but you have to go in

We’ve seen a bear. We turned around because we’ve been only 2 people and wanted to be save. As far as we got it was nice.

It’s a beautiful walk

Beautiful and relatively easy hike! Safe to hike by yourself, but I still tried to walk with a couple on the trail since there was a lot of bear poop along the trail! Didn’t see any bears or mountain lions, but only spectacular Mountain View’s. Super fun hike and well worth it! I did the trip in about 3 hours round trip. I took my time at the top and even explore the inside of the mine. Highly recommend.

Super cool! Mine was closed when we got there, but the entire view was amazing.

Such a cool piece of history.

The mines are what makes this trail worth it

This was a rather easy hike, but was very beautiful! It took me about an hour and a half there and back but I spent a while at the mine. I didn’t go inside but sat there and enjoyed the view. I also took my 40lb bully and he was fine the whole way. Didn’t seem tired at any point through the hike. They do charge for parking so make sure to buy a pass. I made the mistake of not buying a pass and received a ticket, however the fee was only what the pass would’ve cost ($5).

home to the mine is beautiful, however it's what lies within the mine that is truly amazing, I spent about 2 hours inside the mine checking every end of every outcrop, VERY DARK, VERY DAMP, VERY SPOOKY, however with the proper lighting it isn't too bad, would definitely recommend scouting out the inside if youre up for it!

This is one of our major hikes here in the Angeles national forest, I went to the mine to evaluate the trail, and am dismayed at the abuses our historical places have suffered in this ‘ new age’.
And now, In the last week the cabin has been paintballed. Please, this is my home. I would not follow you home (as much as I want to) and tag and paintball your home! And this is why I don’t go down ‘there’. The National forest is everyone’s, why would you destroy it? Please have respect for my home.

I love this hike. I been here many times just because its such a beautiful hike.
First off, The parking is great with lots of space. Bathrooms are a bit dirty. Bring your own toilet paper!. the hike to the mine over the white gate beginning point is moderate. 2 miles of beautiful scenery and nature. At points a bit slippery so hold on to your kids and dogs. Once you make it to the Mine, the views are amazing for pictures and sunsets. when you enter the mine. bring flashlights
i.g Skyhighhiking

Great hike, gives you a good workout and beautiful views. I took my kids and our dog and they had no problem getting to the mine. My kids loved exploring in the mine it was fun... just take flash lights and you'll be ok. I would of given this trail 5 stars, but there is way too much graffiti and trash everywhere.

Loved this trail! Nobody in our group had to use trekking poles. This is a rocky trail! I wish someone would have posted that! This is a dog friendly trail. There are nice spots with shade to rest. Lots of bees at the mine! Nobody got stung but they were annoying. Many places for photo opportunities. Please take your trash with you leave no trace! Great hike for children’s 8 and up. Keep your dogs on a leash. Have fun!

Pretty cool trail. Great views. Watch out for rattlesnakes when you get to the mine. Had a run in with one of them. You don’t know fear until you hear that death rattle.

The mine has such great views. Has always been a favorite hike. Last time I went, there was a lot of trash, so don’t forget to clean up after yourselves.

o8 o8 io io 898,@

Has it’s moments where it gets a little steep but overall a good hike.

please avoid the night hike! We encounter 4 aggressive mountain lions. We didn't get to finish the hike. follow skyhighhiking on I.g for more adventure.

Nice hike with the kids. Graffiti was disappointing but we enjoyed ourselves very much.

This used to be one of my favorite hikes. I have not been on it for about a year. I was so dissapointed today, because the graffiti has gotten way worse. It used to be just at the mine itself. well now it's all the way along the trail, even on Trees. Somone needs to find these creeps and spay paint all over thier bodies and see how they like it. Disgusting and very sad. We went this morning, the view is still amaxing from the mine. We went up super early to avoid the heat, so we didnt see any hooligans. it was very depressing to see the destruction of nature.

You’re drawn in by all the photos you’ve seen of the mine and it’s window framed view of Thunder Mtn, Mt Baldy, and Iron Mtn. Well, the other side of this popular and easy hike is that it brings taggers, punk kids that litter, and folks that just want to get drunk and high at the mine. One and done.

Saw a snake. Great views. I really enjoyed the hike

We were two families with kids aged 4 and 5 with us. It is a great hike with lovely weather. There are some rocky narrow patches but nothing that cannot be done if the kids cooperate. The mine is quite old. Nice view of the mountains and the river basin. We also encountered a mini waterfall near the mine. It was quite refreshing. The trail is partly shaded. Parking lot is big. We reached at 11.30 am on Sunday and there were lot of parking spaces left. The restroom on the trailhead - not clean. The greenery on the trail is really welcoming and we saw lots of beautiful wildflowers. All in all - a nice family hike on Father's day!

Great reward of a view/location for a short hike. Elevation gain is not too bad, pretty easy but I am in decent shape. Maybe about 45min one way. I went about 1/4 mile into cave...but its pitch black, wouldn’t go in w/o a good lamp. Who knows how far it goes but there are several deviations in cave.

Was a great trail, but wouldn’t say easy and I’m in great shape. Few slippery spots and narrow areas. Be mindful that you are in the wilderness. Saw a king snake, was informed by two separate hiking groups of a rattler near the cave by the mine. Also saw a deer crossing the hillside.

This was a fun hike! We got a late start driving up from LA (2:30pm), which actually worked to our advantage because a lot of the morning traffic was heading back to the parking lot and we had most of the trail and the mine to ourselves! The weather was also perfect - 77° and sunny. You’ll definitely break a sweat on a couple of the steeper climbs, but for the most part the trail is a nice gradual incline. There are a few areas that are washed out which feels a little sketchy, but totally fine if you just concentrate and watch your footing. The scramble up to the mine itself is also a little sketchy, but totally doable. We were back to the car around 5pm - we took our time on the way up taking photos and breaks to take in the views and we hung around the mine for a good 15-20 mins. My only negative about this trail is all the graffiti and destruction to the landscape. I will never understand what motivates people to tag graffiti on mother nature. Aside from that, this is a great hike and the views from the mine are absolutely amazing.