Cyber Monday Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Big Falls Trail

Big Falls Trail is a 0.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Forest Falls, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.7 miles Elevation Gain: 252 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The road leading to the trailhead may close seasonally. From May 2019 on, there will be no off-route hiking on this route. This means that at the end of the trail, where the waterfall is, you cannot venture past it and explore more. This is the result of many search and rescue situations here. People caught venturing past the railing can be fined.

This is a great short trail, there are a lot of rock so wear good shoes.

We took a chance and drove out from LA to do this hike. By far one of the best I’ve been on. It’s short due to part of the trail being closed but still amazing views. You can park near the start on the gravel for free or pay at a local store and park in the other areas. We got there early around 8am and no one was really there. It was very peaceful and relaxing. We will definitely be back to try the other trails

Forest falls is always a nice easy getaway from city life. There’s usually always a nice flow of water all year around . I prefer going during late winter when there is more water. The falls do not require much of a hike. However, for those who want a little more, following the water down the rock bed is fun and refreshing. My dog had a blast trekking down the stream. The one downside is from this most recent trip to the falls and the tremendous amount of gnats. I ended up changing my hiking plans entirely due to the gnats . I recommend either bug spray, a mosquito net, or power to you if you can tough through.

Not much of a hike, but more of a cool site! I was surprised that there's water year round, but it did not disappoint! Great place to relax and actually see flowing water in Southern California!

East, short, fun hike! Family friendly. We just stopped by for a quick hike before heading off to do apple picking in ok glen, I came in overalls and converse and it was a very easy hike. A little rocky, but really nice waterfalls.

Hike was very cool, pretty easy. I took my 6 year old and he did fine. You will have to climb over some rocks but nothing to scary. It was a very nice area with beautiful surroundings.

closed

Hiked this trail on September 12. The falls and pools were beautiful. Still a fair amount of water flowing.

2nd time hiking this trail but is closed less than half way up not sure why but sign says it will reopen May 2020 other than that easy nice and hike.

Beautiful but short! It was well kept, but we did find lots of trash people left, so we collected it in a bag. This place is definitely worth seeing. It’s an easy walk for most people.

This is one of the first places I explored since moving here from Oregon and I loved it! The water is too cold sit in, but the hike was easy for me. Much needed escape from the city.

Super short but beautiful waterfall. We walked on rocks down the creek to make it a little more challenging. Definitely recommend for families.

This is a great little trail. my 2 kids loved it. Very fun super beautiful with all the water and falls.

I recommend this if you are looking for a small last minute trail. Its very short and fast and the waterfall is pretty small as well.It’s a little confusing but kinda worth it. It depends if you would like to take your dog there a lot of loss rocks I had carry my dog at one point. Also download the directions before going up you will lose service.

great little hike. there were lots of families with small children on the trail. walk down the river bed cross the river, and hike up to the view point.

Great and easy trail to the base of the waterfall. Walked down the creek for an additional workout. Not the best trail for an intense workout and lots of loose rocks. Free parking on the rocky side. Overall, beautiful views are worth it.

Such an easy and cute trail!! there’s parking that requires an adventure pass but also free parking!! All you have to do the find the falls is follow the creek down a little bit, pass over it and you’ll see. the sign warning you about climbing and BAM there it is the lower falls. you can go up as well to see the upper falls. I wouldn’t get too crazy though, the rocks are really loose!

As of April 3, 2019 the road just before the parking lot is closed. You can park at a Momyer Creek trailhead further back on the road and walk on the road to get to the trailhead. Due to recent heavy rains, a portion of the trail near the parking lot is washed out so you will have to scramble over rocks or find a different way down into the creek bed. Once at the falls viewpoint, there is no discernible way to make your way up to the upper falls area again due to the recent heavy rains and snowfall.

closed

Went up there today Jan. 19th. Road is closed due to snow. Also, make sure you don’t park on the side of the road because there were sheriffs out giving tickets and towing cars.