Big Falls Trail

Big Falls Trail is a 0.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Forest Falls, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Please be careful hiking beyond the looking point. Rocks are slippery when wet. This waterfall is not recommended in January because of snow and ice.

Such a beautiful trail, it was our first time here. We encountered a rattlesnake hiding in the brush right when left the parking lot heading down to the start of the trail. And another baby snack in the stream heading up the falls. (not to sure what kind of snake it was tho.) I was prepared with our parking pass, $5. But noticed there was a graveled lot that said free parking.
Hiking up the riverbed to the various falls was a nice workout, not to strenuous but you can feel your muscles work as you find your balance on the slippery rocks. and yes they are very slippery, so becareful.! Great water flow, and it was very cold. But we loved it!

It was beautiful and so peaceful. It’s a tiring walk since its all about balancing with all the rocks. Water is super cold. My dogs loved it.

It’s a very short and easy hike until you get to the bottom of the falls and cross the water if you want to get up closer to the falls. Climbing those rocks can be a little steep but manageable for most people. There was quite a few bits and pieces of trash on this trail and at the falls. When I got to the top there was a group of young males smoking weed and leaving their trash behind. I guess easier hikes attract this type of crowd. Don’t forget your $5 adventure pass(got mine at local big 5). There was a free dirt parking lot behind the paved parking lot but I didn’t know if it would be okay to park there even though the toll booth was closed? Not sure, but better to be safe.

rock climbing

Beautiful

Great easy hike that can be challenging if you climb the river bed to the various falls.

Forest Falls was beautiful. Great nature trail.

Beautiful but very short hike I would call it more of a 8min walk.

Was up here early this morning. Started around 5:30am - 3:45pm I only saw a small group of people hiking up the riverbed. They were lost. I was the only person back there today, it was nice and quiet. Saw a deer by the waterfall near the horseshoe. I love hiking back here. Lots of secluded areas to venture off into. Other waterfalls people don’t know are back here.

Was up here early this morning. Little patches of snow left. But really enjoy the outdoors. You can hike up the riverbed. It forks off to other areas deep in the woods. You can hike to the Horseshoe. I wouldn’t recommend it for beginners though. If your a female hiker go with someone, it gets pretty deep back in the forest. Not many people hike that far back.
I sometimes take people on outings:
theomendoza67@yahoo.com

If you love nature, this place is close to the city but feels like you are further into nature

I actually loved this trail, it’s very short but beautiful ❤️

Beautiful, easy, fast

Great parking, no fee parking area. Easy walk to the falls, kid and dog friendly. Beautiful scenery all the way, we went a week after the mountains got snow, falls were amazing.

Been walking this little trail for years. Nice but lots of tourist. I normally hike up the creek basin up to the Horse Shoe. Bear, Rattle Snakes during summer time. Lots of little hidden gems throughout the area. I love this area!

Great waterfall but city folk trash the place and do not pick up after themselves. Got stuck on this hike when I was 10 years old, before all the safety signs and handrail.

really pretty here, my friend got proposed at the very top near the waterfall! Full of great memories and an amazing view, I recommend climbing all the way to the top if you could by climbing over all the big boulders. Its a challenge but its worth iy

Short hike, but beautiful and fun.

Beautiful and big falls. Easy hike although a bit rocky at times. If it's spring time, I bet you'll need water shoes to cross the big creek.

More of a walk than a hike, but a really pretty waterfall. We had a great little picnic and the kids had fun playing in the water.

It was beautiful!!

Very short but very nice hike. Lots of people so get there early. Some rocks are loose so be careful when climbing. The waterfalls are all nice to see and the if you make it to the end the last waterfall is the best.

Nice trail, extremely short. Beautiful areas to let your dogs play in the water.

Trail is short and rocky. Lots of shade once at the Big Fall area.

Seems to have 2 parking lots, 1 requires a day pass. Smaller dirt lot seems to be free.

love it! great trails beautiful and clean.

Simple and clean

Beautiful area and falls. Lots of room around creek and falls to eat a snack or lunch.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Very short, but pretty. I went on a weekday so it wasn't very crowded. You "can't" get up close to the waterfall it is closed off because of unstable cliffs and slippery slopes/rocks. Some people attempted to go up towards the waterfall and I noticed they kept slipping(they were all wearing gym shoes, which have no traction) I can see now why so many people injure themselves on this hike. Because the area is so easy to get to it was pretty trashed. Please if you visit try to pick up at least 3 pieces of trash that aren't yours.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Super short and easy trail. We went off on our own for a little bit of a challenge. It was ok but a gate keeps you from getting close to the water fall and the small narrow ledge for the closest photo opp is usually proceeded by a log line of people waiting to get up.

Monday, April 17, 2017

This would be a nice hike if people hadn't trashed it so much. Lots of graffiti on rocks and trees and trash on the trail. Large crowds of people so you don't really get much peace. It is a beautiful waterfall and would be a very nice trail if you could keep it clean. Such a shame...

Thursday, December 08, 2016

Short yet dangerous. One of the most serene walks I've ever been on.