Big Dalton Dam Trail

Big Dalton Dam Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Glendora, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

great 2 miles round trip. saw a mountain king snake. see photo.

not all photos are of this creek trail hike. some are from Pupout hill hike

Nice trail! So many lizards but definitely easy and beautiful

Nice little trail, quite short but very easy. A lot of lizards!

Really great for beginners and solo hikers. Trail is clearly marked along the way.

This was a nice easy hike to get away from people and into some woods. Most of the trail is in the shade and you walk along a little creek, so it stayed cool the whole time.
Pros: very few people, easy to park and easy to follow. There are also some cool rock roadcuts at the end.
Cons: you are along a road for a bit of it, which isn't particularly scenic.
We brought our two dogs and it was nice to have the trail alone for almost all of it.

Super easy and great for first timers or someone just looking for a nice walk

Nice hike up with the trail. Watch for poison oak. The road is a smooth return.

Easy trail water runs next to it so does the road. Lots of poison oak be weary. Really super good for a new jogger

Fun, easy trail. Good for my dog too. We did have a rather large rattlesnake cross the path in front of us though, so keep your eyes and ears open and keep your dogs close.

Easy trail, close to my friends place.. we started a bit higher up, so it was about 2miles there and back. Had a fun rope to swing on.. swing at your own risk lol!

Great easy hike for the whole family. Bring your pup. If you want an easy out and back, this is it.

Disappointing. Just an asphalt road leading to nothing.

Easy relatively flat trail. Couple bridge crossings over the dry creek bed. Would be gorgeous if water was flowing

Saturday, July 08, 2017

nice, clean little trail. Perfect for small children There is poison oak on this trail so keep the little ones covered and on the trail.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Short but nice shady trail. Enjoyed it so much with my friends

Monday, March 06, 2017

Very nice trail the follows a little river. However the trail head is easy to miss and doesn't seem to have a definitive end

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Great hike with small kids!!! Trail is next to a stream !

Saturday, January 14, 2017

I enjoyed this one! The scenery is beautiful, and I like that there's a picnic area. The trail along the stream is so nice, albeit a little rocky in places. I'll definitely be back.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Good hiking trail

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

short and to the point. best to walk the road and save the riverbed pathway.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Took the kids on a hike. Pretty kid friendly.

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Great trails and scenery.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Kids friendly trails, flat hike mostly, not too much challenge but we had good walk

Saturday, June 06, 2015

Easy trail to just get out in nature without much of a challenge. The road parallels the trail only a couple hundred feet away, but it's usually not visible unless cars are driving on it. There are picnic tables 0.3 mile from the start (or 1.7 miles if you turn around after a mile and stop on the way back like I did). I turned around a few hundred feet after the trail met the road since I don't like hiking on the road. This made it 2 miles round trip with 280 feet elevation gain.

If you're up for more of a challenge and have the time, hike to the top of the Mystic Canyon Trail (1.3 miles, 769 ft elev gain), down the Lower Monroe Trail/Road, left on Glendora Mountain Road and left on Big Dalton Canyon Road back to the start (3.2 miles), then out and back on the Big Dalton Trail for a total of 6.2 miles and 1,054 ft elev gain.

After reading other reviews and seeing references to "the dam," "several trails to choose from," "some steep sections," and "views" I think I should make it clear I started at the parking lot 1/2 mile from Glendora Mountain Road on Big Dalton Canyon Road. From the parking lot you can see the sign for Mystic Canyon Trail and after walking toward it, you'll see the sign for Big Dalton Canyon Trail on the right. From here I hiked a mile on the well-worn, well marked, shaded trail (with no views) for 1 mile, about 500 feet after it meets the road. It looked like just a road going up to the dam, so I turned around and returned to the parking lot.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

It was a nice trail, lots of shade. I will definitely go back to do some of the other trails now that I got a map of the area.

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

More of a stroll than a hike, but nice enough if you want an easy walk. It hooks up with other trails that are more of a challenge and get you further off the beaten path. Too bad you can't hike past the dam and further. Big Dalton goes quite a way beyond this, but the thought of a $1000 fine gives one pause.
Also I had someone waiting for me after dusk to run me out and close the gate. He was nice enough about it, but it can be tough to finish a hike before dusk if you are knocking it out after work.

Sunday, September 01, 2013

Really like this Trail. There are a few different trails to choose from. I did three of them so far and they were pretty good.

Monday, August 12, 2013

I hiked this trail a long time ago. I definitely remember it being a nice and easy trail. I would recommend this trail to anyone looking for an easy trail to do on a weekend morning.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Trail is easy to follow. Not crowded at all. Has some steep sections but fair for the most part. Once you reach the top there are several cyslists which are not mindful of hikers.