Betty B Dearing Mountain Trail

Betty B Dearing Mountain Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Angeles, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 977 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Decent number of open parking spots even at 1pm on a Sunday. Moderate hike with a few shady spots but not many. Would go again!

be careful!! a lot of rattlesnakes! i went 2 times and both times saw rattlesnaks on the trail. my dog was on the leash, but even then it was a close call cause it hid in the plants. never again

One of me and my husband’s favorites in the area.

Nice trail, water fountains at a few points along the way. Shade here and there but more sun than shade in general. Trails well maintained and not very busy and it was mid afternoon on a sunday.

Super pretty views and also dog friendly! Only downside is there are a lot of bees around the flowers during this time of year

This is a tough trail. And it’s local! Ups and downs. Lots of shade. Creek crossing. Easy to follow. Primarily loose switchbacks. A great workout if that’s what you’re looking for.

Lots of up and down. Alternating between shady and scenic. amazing trail with seasonal creeks.

Love Love this trail! So dog friendly! Beautiful views!!

Great shady trail, you might need the map at the beginning, as there are a lot of Y’s, but’s a great trail for a conversational hike - easy elevation change.

Thursday, July 05, 2018

This is a great trail if you like some challenge. It is very narrow at points. Lots of nature, mostly shaded.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Really nicely groomed trail for the most part; shady in lots of spots too which was lovely. A couple of tiny stream crossings, and not at all crowded. No hassles with parking and the All Trails map worked perfectly. We ended up going almost 6 miles.

Sunday, June 10, 2018

Nice trail. I was happy I could take my dog. There are a lot of forks in the road so the map on this app is needed.

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Love love love this trail

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

I really enjoyed this trail — once I found it. I missed the first left turn (because I wasn’t looking at the trail map), and I ended up going on a short hike behind some of houses. That isn’t this trail. So I’d advise, if it’s your first time there, use the map. The trail has a few places where it Ys, and I appreciated this app in those moments. That said, it’s a beautiful area with incredible views, and my dog and I had a grand time. We will be back. Also: Make sure to keep your dog on a leash. They seem pretty serious about tickets. One visitor told me a ranger recently hid in the bushes and gave his friend a ticket. Sneaky.

Monday, December 25, 2017

Beautiful with many varied walks and upward and downward slopes, vegetation changes as you walk.

Monday, November 20, 2017

Love this one.

Monday, September 04, 2017

Few hikes in the LA area have both water and shade. This one did, granted, both were pretty minimal.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Awesome. Vigorous.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Love this trail. Very light traffic and always run into dogs for my dog to play and run with!

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Fun little trail for a mellow hike or a fun run

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Saturday, March 04, 2017

really enjoyed it. we ran some of it and walked most of it. very enjoyable. nice views and beautiful natural scenery. would enjoy to do it again.

Monday, June 20, 2016

I hiked this trail on a 97-degree day, and it was a challenge! Though surrounded by houses, the trail feels relatively secluded and there's quite a bit of shade. It's one of my favorite hikes in the city.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Only down side is that it is on the north side of the hill, which means there isn't always direct sunlight. If you like shade then this hike is for you and overlooks much of the valley.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Lots of trails and a moderate level, It's a little hard to find the trail head from the Willacre parking lot. Loved the rainforest area! If you want a longer hike park at Willacre, hike the Willacre loop and as you exit the park to enter the street portion the trail head is on your right between some pretty fancy houses.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

I love it rune it with my dog it's perfect!!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pretty solid hike. The only thing that I didn't like so much, was that there were homes surrounding you for much of the time. I prefer to feel like I'm away from the city/civilization a bit more. But if that doesn't bother you bon voyage. I'd recommend it none the less.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Enough climbing to satisfy an intermediate hiker's itch, but easy enough for a beginner hiker that's feeling a bit adventurous. I had a bit of an issue with the fact that you can still hear plenty of car engines and the rush of traffic from some areas of the trail, but there were areas that did offer seclusion from society. The "Rainforest" in particular was very nice. I found the trails well maintained, with no real blockages or brush to push through. Many areas were pretty densely wooded and provided fantastic atmosphere, but when the view opens up you're mainly greeted with views of the city and expensive houses. I have to say that this hike was a bit anticlimactic, with no real point of interest at the end, however if you can adopt the "It's not the destination, it's the journey." mindset, you'll have a good time. One note that could be helpful: When you see the sign near the trail head that says "Trail ends in .7 miles.", look to your left. There's another, slightly harder to spot sign indicating the Dearing Mountain Trail. We missed it the first time around and figured that maybe the .7 mile trail would lead to the Dearing trailhead, but we were wrong, and it added 1.4 miles to the trip. However, the .7 mile trail is fairly flat, and would be nice for someone looking for a quick walk.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Trailhead has a great overlook from Mulholland Drive down into the San Fernando Valley and across to Burbank and Glendale. The trails at the start are shaded with overgrowth and beautiful trees. The trail is clear with switchbacks and great views. The "rainforest" is very short but verdant some times of the year. Great for adults and dogs, hikers and joggers. Narrow for young children in some sections of the path.