Bertha Peak Trail

Bertha Peak Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bear City, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,318 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Beautiful hike! We started late in the day, and both were tired, and completed the peak and back in about 3 hours, 45 minutes. We held a leisurely pace and stopped whenever we liked. Nothing too strenuous, but the last 1/2 mile or so does get fairly steep. The views along the trail almost beat the views from the top, where a structure and generator of some sort kind of disrupt the scenery. Still, great visibility. We encountered very few bugs and relatively few other hikers! All around peaceful and beautiful afternoon!

Great Trail, great views, tough climb right at top. Nothing really denotes the summit, just communication towers.

This hike was great! Parking is easy. The hike is easy, too, until you get to the part where you go up to the peak. That’s a hard climb! I highly recommend!

it's a nice and short trail.6 miles round trip. It is in good conditions. We stared around 8:00 a.m. and we sow a lot of people going up around 10:00. Whether is not to hot but 10:00 a.m is to late for me to star going up.

Beautiful views the whole way up. Worth going all the way up. No continuous cover, but there are plenty of places to stop in the shade to rest. Very easy to follow trail. Parking was $5 which a bill was just place on our windshield when we got back. (Maybe this is the normal way of payment in the area, but I'm just visiting)

Great hike. The view at the top was amazing. It is pretty steep and rocky the last mile or so. Some spots with some good shade to rest. It took us about 3.5 hours out and back.

Started 8:20am on 4th of July and made it at the top of the peak by 10:15am Felt the earthquake up there at the peak and man what an experience that was!!

Total about 7.5 miles. Phone off for about 1.4 miles.

last part to top after cougar Crest is gnarly steep .....worth it .....happy anniversary my sweets♡♡♡♡♡

Beautiful hike! Easy to follow and great views! The last mile to the peak is the most challenging, but worth it.

Recorded a track of 7.6 miles using this app and this track. It's really about 3.8 miles to the top. Don't forget to sign the trail register in the metal box at the top of the peak. As you ascend it's more exposed and hot. The sun is just brutal this time of year, even if the thermometer says it's 72 out. Either go early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Bring at least 2-3 liters of water if hiking midday. There is no water source along this trail.

Good hike. Began at Cougar’s Crest trailhead. 7 miles round trip to Bertha’s Peak. Trail gets more difficult the further you go. Rockier and narrower after 2 miles. Last part is quite steep. Views are very good after 1.5 to 2 miles. Views also get better the further you go. We did it on a Tuesday mid morning and there was a moderate amount of other hikers. It took us 3.5 hours including various rest stops of 30 minutes.

Great trail with beautiful views! Last bit up old road is steep but view is worth it. Wear a hat - there is zero shade

This was a difficult hike for me but I made it to the top and I’m so glad I did! There is a cool surprise waiting at the peak (aside from the gorgeous views of the lake).

Easy Stretch on the cougar crest portion, fire road to peak is a bit steep, great views.

Def would recommend this trail! It’s super rocky, loose rocks on majority of the trail. Views are 100% worth it. We went from cougar crest trail to Bertha then took a different trail down (I couldn’t see a name for it on the map) but it took ya straight to the road and then a 15min wall back to the start of cougar crest trail....all together it was a good hike, few hours, fun day!

Hiked this one with my fam on Friday, but started at the nature center which added a mile. Promised the kids ice cream if they stuck it out, and it got them up! Carried the younger one up the last bit, though and that was a push. If you have shoes with ankle support, I recommend as it's rocky and gravely. There's a couple of really solid views marked with benches halfway up.

We hiked to the summit today. It was a nice steady climb and at the road it gets pretty steep inclines but totally doable. The views along the route and at the top are amazing on a clear day like today. We could see San Gorgonio across the lake and way off in the distance was Mt San Antonio (Baldy) and all the surrounding peaks like Cucamunga and Ontario. We ran into several PCT hikers as part of the trail uses the PCT.

Pretty good trail to till you get to the fire road, then the workout begins. Probably won’t do it again, but great views.

Did this trail early January and again early February in mostly snow but not to bad. Its a beautiful hike that starts as the Cougar Crest trail then a steep ascent to Bertha peak. It becomes gorgeous when your about a mile and a half in and you start getting a view of the lake with the snow covered mountains surrounding it. By far my favorite trail at Big Bear!

We took a wrong turn and turned it into an 8.2 miler...but still I think 6.8 is short. I think it’s more like 7.5. Great hike. Very easy until the last mile which is a very steep uphill climb on a fire road. Beautiful view from the top. For me, even though it’s longer, it seemed easier than the Gray’s Peak trail.

Nice hike most of the way until the end where it becomes a very steep fire road. When you get to the top it is a very pretty view but not much room as if it covered with radio towers. Not quite the peaceful peak we had imagined. But there are some small trees so we hung the hammock and made the best of it watching a beautiful sunset.

Nice trail. Started at Serrano camp ground. There is a tunnel under the road to the trail head. Nice view over valley after first couple miles. last turn to peak steep rocky access road. view from top worth the climb.

zzx

One of the best scenic view in all of Big Bear Lake.

The view is breathtaking

Friday, August 17, 2018

It was very hot and dry, so carry plenty of water. Trail is well maintained with great views. The last half mile or so was very steep. My GPS recorded 7.2 mile to the top of Bertha Peak.

Sunday, August 12, 2018

Nice hike. More easy than moderate. Many people seen wearing only very simple shoes. Than it can't be very difficult. Great views but the lake disappointed a little.