Bertha Peak Trail

Bertha Peak Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bear City, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and off road driving and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Always a great hike. Had to park in the Discovery Center parking lot as the Cougar Crest lot was full. Hiked with my kid. The last 1/2 mile to Bertha Peak is real steep but doable. Just take a few breaks if you need it. Views along the Cougar crest, PCT and Bertha are amazing. Took us 4.5 hours round trip which included a 30 minute break at the summit towers/buildings. Kinda rocky in spots but pretty much dirt trails and the dirt access road to the summit. I would rate this as a moderate 6.5 mile hike.

My daughter and I hiked up to Bertha this morning! Good trail, pretty easily marked, and a steady climb. I suggest one goes early in the morning. Less people and cooler temperatures!

Very nice trail. Keep a fast pace to get a decent workout. Dog friendly, my Aussie was off leash most of the way. On leash when we came about other dogs on leash.

We have always loved hiking up to the PCT via the Cougar Crest trail. Today we went a bit further and took the PCT about a1/2 mile (south?) before turning right at the metal post which indicates the Bertha's Peak Trail. (the letters are so faded, don't count on being able to read it!) There is no mistaking the upwards hill that takes you on the BP trail, though! There is a straight up hill covered in white rocks. Yup! That's it!
It felt like getting to the BP trail was fairly easy, especially because we got there early before the sun could bake us, but once you start the upwards rocky road to BP, it gets a bit more challenging. It's the perfect amount of challenge though. It's a little demanding while you're doing it, but you know you can do it, and then you're super glad you did do it.
I have always enjoyed the views of Big Bear Lake from the Cougar Crest trail...but I gotta say...the views from the PCT and from Bertha's Peak are superior, making that challenge at the end very rewarding! What a great day to be outdoors!

Hiked this with my family all the way to the top! It was amazing! A little long for my 9 month old but she was a trooper and did great in the carrier! Definitely doing this again!