Bertha Peak Trail

Bertha Peak Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bear City, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and off road driving and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Very nice trail. Keep a fast pace to get a decent workout. Dog friendly, my Aussie was off leash most of the way. On leash when we came about other dogs on leash.

We have always loved hiking up to the PCT via the Cougar Crest trail. Today we went a bit further and took the PCT about a1/2 mile (south?) before turning right at the metal post which indicates the Bertha's Peak Trail. (the letters are so faded, don't count on being able to read it!) There is no mistaking the upwards hill that takes you on the BP trail, though! There is a straight up hill covered in white rocks. Yup! That's it!
It felt like getting to the BP trail was fairly easy, especially because we got there early before the sun could bake us, but once you start the upwards rocky road to BP, it gets a bit more challenging. It's the perfect amount of challenge though. It's a little demanding while you're doing it, but you know you can do it, and then you're super glad you did do it.
I have always enjoyed the views of Big Bear Lake from the Cougar Crest trail...but I gotta say...the views from the PCT and from Bertha's Peak are superior, making that challenge at the end very rewarding! What a great day to be outdoors!

Hiked this with my family all the way to the top! It was amazing! A little long for my 9 month old but she was a trooper and did great in the carrier! Definitely doing this again!

Great trail for beginners and children. The trail is well maintained with a few benches a long the path, and is easy enough that our toddler navigated it just fine!

I loved it. Bring water and snacks

I hiked this trail back in 2015 and took it to the top by the towers. The trail is beautiful and gives you a great view of Big Bear Lake. The last part when you are close to the towers goes straight up an access dirt road. When heading back down make sure not to miss the turn off for the trail. It is easy to miss and you will end up down the mountain miles from the trailhead. This last Memorial Weekend we headed towards this trail again, but didn't have enough time to do the whole trail. Even though we didn't have enough time it still did not disappoint. With only a short distance up you get a magical view of the lake. This trail is also tucked away on the back side of Big Bear lake making the trail not as crowded as the trails closer to the Village. Read more about our last trip on my blog

Happy Hiking :)

Great hike.

incredible views, beautiful. fairly easy hike