Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Berryessa Peak Trail is a 14.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pope Valley, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.7 miles Elevation Gain: 3,507 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Seven miles up, seven miles down, a strenuous, 8-hour adventure above the north shore of Lake Berryessa. The trail is mostly on the Napa County side of the peak, with a brief dip into Yolo County on the approach to the summit. Beautiful, mostly single-track hike through chaparral to a 3-part summit with views of Diablo, Tam, the Mayacamas, St. Helena, Cobb, Konocti, the Mendocino National Forest's Goat Mountain and Snow Mountain, Lassen, Sutter Buttes, Sierra Buttes, downtown Sacramento, and Lake Berryessa. When especially clear, views of Shasta and the Sierra Nevada are possible. Not suitable for dogs, horses, bikes. Expect a little mud. Spring wildflowers are mediocre. The winds get severe when a front comes through, so watch the weather before you go. It is important to stay on the trail for the whole hike in order not to trespass on private hunting lands. In the chaparral, after a brief but rather steep ascent, the trail crosses a barbed-wire fence.

False summits, false summits everywhere.

private property

This trail is a great day hike if your ready to put some miles in with some decent vert. We bagged the summit for sunset the other day and got a very peaceful night hike out. For anyone attempting this trail and the summit bag I would strongly encourage as with any trail to pack a good amount of water. Make sure you bring salty snacks and or something like peanut butter to help sustain. Parts of the trail after private property easement can be a little slippery and or scary for someone who doesn't do well with high's.

Went first thing in the morning April 8th and only saw 2 people on my way out. Strenuous hike with lots of incline. The trail is very narrow on the sides of the hills. Trekking poles and good shoes were helpful. Bring lots of water, hat, sunscreen etc. There's not a lot of shade and lots of overgrown areas that you can't avoid. Watch out for ticks! Going down the rocky incline to cross greens canyon was very difficult to follow. Stay to the left ( I had to go back up and backtrack). The creek was completely dry. Expect to spend the whole day here! I used used the link below for a detailed description of the hike. Follow the signs for "BPT" to avoid private land. http://tuleyome.org/trails/beryessapeak/

Beautiful views, very overgrown

Great trail where the classification „hard“ is justified. Views views views All comments with regard to the trail were already made.

A good somewhat strenuous hike that like others mentioned is overgrown in areas. I picked several ticks off of myself throughout the hike so doing tick checks often is recommended. There is an area where the trail dips down and crosses a drainage and is not very obvious but there are several cairns that help point it out. I reached the top at sunset and it was very nice, on my night hike back I spotted several newts and a baby rubber boa on the trail. Overall a good hike but it would be nice if it wasn’t so overgrown so that ticks weren’t so much of an issue.

The BLM site summarises about this hike by stating that "Only those in excellent physical shape should attempt to reach the summit of Berryessa Peak!" Ha~~ Absolutely magnificent views...

Newwwwtss.... and tons of Nice views.

Hiked this trail with my dog in January. Beautiful views. I’m an avid hiker, but this hike kicked my butt! Made it to the summit in 3hrs, with one short break. 2.25hrs to get back to the car. Didn’t encounter anyone else on the trail. Little overgrown in some areas. Lots of steep altitude gain.. but well worth it. I didn’t see any ticks.. but the dog managed to pick up at least 15 of them. Highly recommend this trail to anyone up for the challenge.

This was another one of those trails that had me fearing for the worst. But all and all, I didn’t find it to be that bad. It’s not even that steep compared to most trails in the Sierra. Admittedly, it IS rough in places. And beyond the halfway mark, it is rather overgrown. Particularly overgrown is the area between Green Canyon and the junction with the fire road to the summit. There is also a small section at Green Canyon where you lose the trail for a short distance. But you can easily see the continuation of the trail on the other side of the canyon. Simply shoot for the bottom of the canyon where the trail on the other side restarts, and catch it at that point. Others mentioned ticks. I actually didn’t find any ticks on either trip I had taken to the summit. But then again, both trips were midwinter ascents. I can only imagine how this area would be a tick paradise during the warmer months. Perhaps this trail is best avoided during that time. As for the hike itself, the views are nothing short of spectacular. They are easily the best in the area, and are far better (at least in my opinion) than, say, Fiske Peak. The start of the trail is more or less through a canyon. But even this area is nice. After a couple of miles, things start to REALLY open up. The views only get better as you start to climb up the ridge. As you follow near the ridgeline, you get excellent views of Lake Berryessa and the surrounding hills. And with the steep slopes and rocky palisades above the trail, the trail itself is quite dramatic. There are also good views of the lake past Green Canyon, as the trail climbs virtually at the edge of the top of the ridge. As you near the summit, you also start to get GREAT views of the Sacramento Valley and Sierra Nevada. On a clear day, you can even see Lassen Peak and Mount Shasta. Of course, closer at hand are other Coastal Mountain peaks such as Mount Saint Helena, Cobb Mountains, Mount Diablo, and Mount Tamalpais.

Nice workout, but won't do it again. Just read the previous reviews - they all are spot on regarding bringing extra water, no shades, overgrown, amazing views, etc. Took exactly 4hrs. to reach the top and 3 hrs. to come down.

I'm still scouting this and did a report on theFriends of Nifty Ninety Facebook Group and on Peakbagger.com There is better documentation on this trail than in the writeup. I'm pasting in my Facebook reports which includes the Yolo hiking group info from http://tuleyome.org/trails/beryessapeak/ My report: Berryessa Peak trip report just to midpoint. I also put this in peakbagger.com: This is a beautiful hike, but demanding. It is well documented. http://tuleyome.org/trails/beryessapeak/ gives a good writeup. It has a link to a pdf with maps, and another link for a gps track but gps track doesn't load. Yolohiker also documents this trail and their gpx file works http://www.yolohiker.org/trails/knoxville/BPT/index.html . My comments here assume you have looked at that site already. I did a trial hike to the midpoint last Friday. I had the GPS track, but trail was clear enough now that grass has dried up, with a couple of exceptions. The trail was fine until that steep part for a 100 yards or so before the fence crossing. That section was tricky both going up and down. I was mostly off the track in the weeds to avoid slipping and extremely dependent on my poles. A few switch backs and/or steps would help. Above the fence where the trail is on the contour line of the street slope, the dried grass is extremely slippery like a snowfield so it is important to not step off the trail track. The are about 3 big oaks that have fallen across the trail in that section, forcing hikers to go off to the steep grassy slope. That was the only part where I thought I was taking a risk. When I got to the midpoint I looked around and thought "Camping? In what universe?" but struggled up the draw (footing totally obscured by grass) and did find a large flat area. Weather was nice till 10:30, ok till 11, then hot. I had an umbrella which helped a lot. I started at 9:30. Next time 7 or 7:30. One very important point is that this is a long ways from anywhere. Start with a full tank of gas. The closest station is Angwin if you forget.

Mon May 27 2019

This is one of the more demanding hikes I've done. Great views and very quiet (I didn't see a single person the whole time). But it will test you physically. I would say that the other reviews are pretty spot on so I will avoid repeating was has been said. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjx9O7R9M-Y

Sun May 26 2019

First off I would do this trail again and recommend it. However, it was rough. Take my word for it. You will want pants. Don’t even bother showing up in shorts. Bring all the water your Camelbak can hold, and then bring more. Wear your best hiking boots. Your Nike’s won’t cut it. Start early in the morning and be prepared for 3-4 hour hike up and 2-3 hour hike back. There is good service on most of the trail but don’t rely on any one map. I found myself off trail a few times. The trail is there but not heavily traveled. Bring snacks.

Sun May 12 2019

Definitely have more water than you need cause you’ll go through almost all of it! The trail was pretty overgrown so wearing pants & boots is a must. Bring a flashlight just in case and I wouldn’t take my pup out on this hike, the trail gets pretty narrow and steep. Took this hike on 12 May 2019...