Berry Creek Falls Loop

Berry Creek Falls Loop is a 11.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 11.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,335 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

During winter there might be closures in this area due to flooding or high winds. Please check with the park before attempting. A strenuous loop that encounters picturesque waterfalls and beautiful redwood groves. From the park headquarters, take the Sunset Trail and then return via the Skyline to the Sea Trail. This is a counter-clockwise route. You can also hike this loop clockwise, but most people elect to hike it counter-clockwise. This is a state park and they charge $10 to park.

It was beautiful!! Wonderful hike. Well shaded, and I agree with many reviews - it is a long one. Not overly difficult but long. Very peaceful.

Gorgeous views and lovely waterfalls. a long hike but worth it

Quite a bit of downhill for a long while, but the view is so worth it. Amazing redwoods, nicely shaded, soft ground, wonderful trail.

This isn’t so much hard as long. The gross elevation gains are offset by descents; climbs are real but don’t tax like mountain climbs. Beautiful wooded hike among the redwoods, and the waterfalls are a nice diversion. The first ones are accessible from the trail; go ahead and stick your head under (the second one, I believe) to cool off. There’s little other scenic diversity. It’s the woods the whole way through, but if you’ve come for redwoods you have no reason to be disappointed. I certainly wasn’t. I hiked this trail on a beautiful summer Sunday. It was indeed heavily traveled but wasn’t crowded; most of the visitors to the park were either not hiking or hiking shorter trails. Heavy use keeps the trail clear and easy to follow, and it was conscientiously marked with signs (if at times a little ambiguously, but you’ll figure it out) where it crosses other trails. Park employees tell you it’s a six-hour hike, but I headed out only five hours before dusk and moved briskly to beat the dark. I finished in less than four and a half hours, but my feet were killing me by the end; for a casual pace, six hours sounds right. Gotta say how impressed I was with my first visit to a California state park. I’m from the East Coast and didn’t know what to expect. I wanted to walk among the redwoods but was restricted to the Bay Area and thought I might regret not having time to get to the celebrated national parks — to see the “real deal,” so to speak. Well, I’m pretty sure I saw it. Big Basin is beautiful, and it’s well maintained and well staffed. I hope to come back someday to do the Skyline to the Sea trail. Bonus: The drive to and from the park’s headquarters is a thrill, with endless switchbacks and beautiful scenery. I’d come back just for that!

I logged exactly 11 miles on my Watch. The hike is not technical, and the elevation gain is very evenly dispersed, so it is not challenging in terms of the climb. However, the length of the hike makes this hard. Somewhere towards the 9 mile mark, the trail goes uphill and that was quite a challenge as we had already walked quite a bit. Did the hike in the clockwise direction, that way we got to face the falls as we approached it. The falls come in at around the 4 mile mark, and the hike to the falls is quite downhill, and it gets uphill after that. The Berry Creek Falls are beautiful, and so are the next two falls (although there wasn't a lot of water in any of them, still they looked lovely). Ideal for a hot summer day as the shade makes it really cool. I would love to complete the hike int he winter after some rain, I'm sure that's the best season for this hike. Completed the hike in 5.5 hours with a lunch break and 2-3 small breaks to catch breath/drink water/look at the view. The Park HQ is super helpful, there are plenty of amenities at the HQ and it is well maintained. Do remember to carry a lot of snacks and water as the hike is loooooooong.

If you're wanted to avoid crowds and actually experience nature, then go as early as possible. I set out on the trail around 7:30a and arrived at the falls around 9:30a. Had the place to myself for about 30 minutes before another hiker passed on through. Once I was about a mile or so from arriving back to the Park Headquarters, then all the typical park visitors I try to avoid were out. I passed three different hikers that thought it was acceptable to blast music from their bluetooth speakers while hiking.

We did it on 4.30 hs. Its a really cool trail. Specially when it's Hot because The trees gives you shadow.

11 mile hike and the highest peak was 1300ft. Great views all the way.

09/02/2019 12.1 miles 4.5 hours 1,070 feet of elevation gain I hiked it clockwise (First time using the AllTrails app to “Record” my hike) Apparently this hike hasn’t been 8 miles in years, there’s been a bunch of detours due to fallen trees and erosion — as per several Park Rangers. It’s more like 11-12 miles now. It’s a nice hike, 95% is shaded. I didn’t experience many mosquitos at all. Water levels were drastically low in the creek (typical for summer) but there was still a decent amount of water on the waterfalls. It’s a nice hike but I wasn’t impressed — I’m sure it’s a lot nicer during rain season. I‘m spoiled since I live fairly close to Muir Woods in the North Bay. IG: Long_Journey_Home

What everyone else said .... 11.2 miles — very beautiful and well worth it when you get to the falls ! It’s a tuff one - go early bring water & snacks

Beautiful Labor Day hike! The redwoods and waterfalls made for an incredibly scenic and slightly cooler hike than some others. I wouldn't rate this as a hard hike - the elevation is fairly evenly dispersed, although the distance is much closer to 11 miles than 8 miles.

Pretty great 12 mile hike!

Really beautiful 11+ mile hike. The trail has a number of detours, but they are well signed. Almost all of the hike is under tree cover, with very little direct sunlight. Lots of up and down but nothing too steep for too long. Did the whole thing in about 3.5 hours - though I was moving fast and traveling solo.

Day 1 - backpacked to sunset camp via skyline to sea trail. 6.8 miles out to the camp with all the detours and short trails closures. Beautiful trail. Tons of mosquitos at camp though.

One of the best hikes I've been and hasnt disappointed since. Unlike Uvas, this hike always has the falls so it's nice. Pack a few snacks, a hydration pack, and some electrolytes because either way of the trail, it's a 11.5 mile loop. Its 8 miles if you're going to the larger falls and back. I prefer to go counterclockwise since I'd like the full trail. Other than that happy trails!

This hike is no where near 8 miles I did about 12 miles in total. Overall it’s a great hike recommend taking enough food and water. Also I took the trail counterclockwise which in my opinion it was better since I was able to avoid all the steep hills and stairs that I would’ve had to take if I went clockwise. Definitely a great hike!

This is a 11 mile loop not 8.8. But it’s such a great hike to escape the Bay Area heat and even on weekends does not feel as crowded as some other trails. The trail is also softer and thus gentler on your feet. I like going clockwise as you see the waterfalls from the base and then climb up.

Really nice trail. I wouldn't consider it hard, is just long. It took me 5h to complete it on a fast pace and very short breaks. Make sure to pack enough food and water, you will need it.

bridge out

My favorite California Trail With waterfalls! We walked counter clock wise in order to walk up to the falls which was a magical experience ! But def added way more incline doing the loop. It was about 13 miles said and done. But so worth it !

great hike. went clockwise. no bugs today.

Amazing hike through the redwoods. All trails said it’s an 8.8 mile loop but my phone recorded 10.6+ so take lots of water. The trail is well maintained but there is poison oak on the sides so be careful. Also, consider taking bug spray. There are lots of mosquitos.

Enjoyed a quiet midweek hike clockwise. Not a young super athlete and found parks suggested 5-6 hours for the loop a reasonable challenge with time to enjoy the scenery.

closed

3 gorgeous waterfalls and a great work out? Count me in! My husband and I enjoyed this hike very much. There were some closures, but the signs made it very easy to follow. Overall it was hard to get lost. We did it clockwise like the others recommended and we preferred it this way. It's a bit more uphill on the way back, but this way you get to see the waterfalls as you're approaching instead of seeing them from the back. It's a mostly shaded trail, which is very good for hot days. We arrived around 10:30am and it was already almost impossible to find parking, so I'd recommend going earlier ($10 for parking). We started the trail at about 11am and finished at 2:30pm. We had one sandwich stop and a short stop at Berry Creek Falls and Sliver Falls. Bring bug repellent because the mosquitoes here are vicious! However, they didn't manage to make the hike less enjoyable for us. Definitely a place that's worth visiting at least once!