EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Berry Creek Falls Loop

Berry Creek Falls Loop is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

During winter there might be closures in this area due to flooding or high winds. Please check with the park before attempting. A strenuous loop that encounters picturesque waterfalls and beautiful redwood groves. From the park headquarters, take the Sunset Trail and then return via the Skyline to the Sea Trail. This is a counter-clockwise route. You can also hike this loop clockwise, but most people elect to hike it counter-clockwise. This is a state park and they charge $10 to park.

Challenging but really beautiful hike. Like others, I'd recommend hiking the loop counterclockwise. We started relatively early (8:30) and didn't start seeing others on the trail until we hit the falls 5 miles in.

closed

Just went here 4 days ago(2/9/2019). First hike of the year, light rain, which we were hoping for. Cold temp all day. Perfect! These are the days for these types of trails. All 3 water falls were raging! Check the photos! This hike trumped my entire 2018 season. Almost as if the best parts of my favorite hikes were put into this one 9 mile hike. It’s that good. Gotta watch for poison oak. Typical in California. Couple big trees freshly fallen on trail. Just adds character! Few closed areas but nothing that’s even on this particular all trails map! Plus they are just short cuts. No real hiker uses a shortcut! C’mon!! I recommend going counter clockwise. Better payoff all around getting the 5-6 mile side done before the falls. It’s a steady incline but it puts you at the top of all 3 falls. From there the 4 miles out are pure GoPro heaven. Just press play and don’t stop till you hit the parking lot!

Fun, strenuous hike with some really nice views. It didn’t seem to trafficked - I only saw three other groups on the trail once I got in, but that could have been due to the pouring rain. Since I went during a rainy period, pieces of some trails were closed, so if you have your heart set on a specific route, and you’re going after/during a storm, call ahead to make sure the necessary trails are open.

Definitely a good hike. Weather felt pretty perfect. Was beat by the end. Very beautiful. Went counter-clock wise like recommended

Fun loop in big basin with intermittently muddy but generally maintained trails. Did as a trail run and completed in several hours. Would recommend in the counterclockwise direction for a more gentle uphill. It had rained recently and made for great waterfalls! Would do as a run again, the upper loop might get a little monotonous as a hike.

This trail is quite good, especially after a rain. There are a series of three waterfalls that includes a stone staircase along the waterfall. The parking lot fills up quickly so, get there early before 10am. I would have given a higher rating if not for two things:
1. This is a state park and they charge $10 to park; ridiculous once you consider:
2. They do very little to maintain the trails. In the past two years, I still see the same downed trees across the trails. It would be quite simple to chainsaw away the obstructions. The management is good at collecting parking fees; quite sad.
Take the Sunset trail & Berry Creak trail, the loop is 11 miles and 1920 foot elevation gain; mainly up and down the canyons. The application trail information is totally wrong with the mileage and elevation gain.

Jan 13, 2019.

Muddy, sloppy, dicey in places. Gorgeous and a ton of fun. Bring a gel or two, and at least one water bottle. Counter clockwise is the ticket. The climb on the way back from the falls is pretty mellow.

I wrote down directions and put them in a plastic bag prior. GPS for All Trails actually worked the entire time, however.

I was slow for my own pace, and some spots I couldn’t go very fast. Plus I stopped to take pictures of course.

Go a couple days after a good rain. The trail will be firmer, but the falls will be active.

If you go counterclockwise, Sunset Trail, to Berry Creek Falls (Left), to Skyline to the Sea (Left), all the way back to the Sunset trail (the way you came), you should get it done in less than 2 hours. If you’re fast, 1 1/2 hours. If you get it done in less time than 90 minutes, you’re a nut!

I did it in 1:53 minutes, 9 miles total, walked the last 0.5 because I bonked.

If you’re hiking, you should be able to get this hike done in less than 4 hours if you don’t lallygag. This IS NOT the 10.5 loop however. Don’t get confused. That loop takes longer. See my directions above. Be prepared, know where you are, and where you’re going. Don’t be a hero.

There’s a Wood bridge- big enough for cars - near the Sunset/Dool Trail Connecter. It’s a good spot to meet up with friends and get stretched out.

Happy running! Follow me on Strava!

Very pleasant hike through the redwoods. Long, lots of steady downhill getting to the falls, which means lots of steady uphill coming back to the park headquarters, but nothing very steep, so not super strenuous. Arrived at the trailhead on a Thursday at 8:50am and only a couple cars, but by the time we finished the hike at 1 it was pretty packed, and we saw many groups on the trail heading out as we were heading in. We did a counterclockwise loop, as recommended, avoiding a trail closure on the Sunset Connector Trail, for a total of 11.3 mi, 2331 ft of elevation change in 4 hours, 10 minutes. The waterfalls were not astounding, but they were very pretty, and there are good viewpoints of all three falls along the trail. The long trek to and from the falls through the redwoods is pleasant, although it can be a little monotonous. Overall a very nice hike, be sure to bring layers since it does get chilly in the shade of the redwoods, even on a gorgeous sunny day like today.

Great Trail with beautiful waterfalls. Definitely a full day if you hike the loop.

It’s really good one with great waterfalls.

Today I made the loop. Falls were beautiful due to recent rains. Few(3) fallen trees blocked the trail but feasible to sneak into it. I made clockwise loop like many which was strenuous.

Great trail for intermediate mountain biking. A few tough spots but well worth the ride to Berry Creek falls. Saw plenty of friendly hikers and a few other bikers.

Hike was better than I expected. Even though it is not a rain season, still pretty good waterfalls. Curiously my GPS showed roundtrip to be just under 15 miles. Not sure how to account for discrepancy.

Some pictures:

Resumed hiking after 2 years with this one. We also followed counter clockwise. About 4 hours we completed with few stops. It was difficult but I was able to complete. falls, birds, redwoods and you will enjoy.

great hike!

A bit tough. I’d take everyone’s advice and do counterclockwise, we unfortunately did the opposite per the rangers suggestion and we only saw one other couple doing it this way. Much easier doing it counterclockwise and I know why now. Beautiful place and waterfalls are amazing to see.

Bring water and look out for banana slugs! Great hike.

Started early and by the time we reached it was around 7:15 am and cold. Very few cars were parked due to the cold I guess. Found initially little confusing where the trail started and took us some time to get on the trail. As per the review I read by lots of hikers we wanted to do the anti clock wise hike but came across a detour sign asking us the go on the clock wise direction. We ended up doing that and did not encounter any one until we reached the falls and decided to try the other side to get back to the parking when saw few people coming from the counter clockwise side of the trail. There was no issue with the trail not sure why they had put a detour sign. Took 5 1/2 hrs for us to finish the trail.

So gorgeous! Tough hike but a good one!

I took the advice here and went early, parking lot at 8 and also took the trail counter clockwise
I only saw three peoples going down and lots of birds! At the falls it began to seem like a freeway but still very beautiful and cool on a hot day.
Took me a little over 4 1/2 hours - I’m older and moderately fit.
Would totally recommend this hike.
Also bring $10 cash if you get there before the park opens to pay for parking - I didn’t have change so then for $20 from me.

Strenuous but great! Really beautiful waterfalls

Hiked the loop, counterclockwise, last week (07/21) and started about 06:07am and finished back to car at 09:43am, which included at 15/20 minute break at Berry Falls. I've done this hike in the past couple years ago.

GAIS GPS clocked in at 10:55 miles roundtrip, while the Apple Watch clocked in at 10.46miles.

You'll be mostly in the shade. There are some section of the trail that are closed so watch for the detour signs. Can't miss them. A lot of up/downs. If you start counter-clockwise, you'll be mostly going down, or up gradual inclines but nothing too crazy. The last three miles is mostly up, but gradual.

Overall, nice hike through the redwood and peaceful and calm (as I was there pretty early). Go early if you can. It's nice and peaceful early in the morning when it's quiet.

Quite strenuous loop, considering few closures along the hike. Get early to avoid the crowd. 3 waterfalls along.

Arrived at 8:45a on Sunday and found the lot closest to HQ already full. Per the recommendation of the Park Aide, I hiked this trail counter-clockwise and was I glad I did since I was fresh and going downhill through the gorgeous upper part of Sunset trail as it winds through redwood groves. Most of the Berry Creek Falls trail is also very pretty. Completed the hike in 5.5 hours with a brief layover at the falls and numerous photo stops. There’s a big tree across Berry Creek Falls Trail right at the juncture with Sunset Trail, so it looks like the Berry Creek Falls trail is closed. But it’s not.

Truly beautiful Hike. I started around 5:30AM. Saw the forest wake up as I made my way to Berry Creek Falls. I recommend doing this counter clockwise as well. The uphill on the return is long but gradual. I did the 10.5 + detours within 4 hours, that included pit stop for photos and snacks. Doing it that early I did not run into anyone till I was pretty much back at Park Headquarters. It was truly epic. Highly recommend it.

Epic! Long hike. My device clocked 10.5 miles and I completed within 4 hours. That is including pit stops for lunch, photos and to catch breath.

I suggest counter clockwise for this hike. Pro tip: For parking when you come late, go past the first parking (which is generally full) and then head towards north of the park. There again, you will find cars to be full but there is a road on the left which has wooden bridge. People ignore it cause wooden bridge is meant for pedestrians, cyclists etc. But cars can go on it. After that you will be many more parking spots near the camp ground. Also you will be able to jump start your hike as one of the entry point is there itself. Take the dool trail and see signs for sunset trail detour.

The hike despite being long doesn't have much elevation gain. Sunset trail has couple of ups and downs but very doable. Skyline to sea trail has constant elevation but its not steep. So this hike is between moderate to strenuous. Make sure you get something to eat and 2 plus liter of water.

Great day hike. Took us about 6hrs to complete, with a lunch stop at one of the waterfalls. Note there’s currently a detour around the Sunset-Dool leg, so just factor in another mile or so.

This is a beautiful trail. I would say more moderate than hard. We powered through in under 4 hours, but good trail to stop for lunch by the falls and enjoy the scenery.