EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Berry Creek Falls Loop

Berry Creek Falls Loop is a 10.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,335 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

During winter there might be closures in this area due to flooding or high winds. Please check with the park before attempting. A strenuous loop that encounters picturesque waterfalls and beautiful redwood groves. From the park headquarters, take the Sunset Trail and then return via the Skyline to the Sea Trail. This is a counter-clockwise route. You can also hike this loop clockwise, but most people elect to hike it counter-clockwise. This is a state park and they charge $10 to park.

11 mile hike and the highest peak was 1300ft. Great views all the way.

09/02/2019 12.1 miles 4.5 hours 1,070 feet of elevation gain I hiked is clockwise (First time using the AllTrails app to “Record” my hike) Apparently this hike hasn’t been 8 miles in years, there’s been a bunch of detours due to fallen trees and erosion — as per several Park Rangers. It’s more like 11-12 miles now. It’s a nice hike, 95% is shaded. I didn’t experience many mosquitos at all. Water levels were drastically low in the creek (typical for summer) but there was still a decent amount of water on the waterfalls. It’s a nice hike but I wasn’t impressed. I might be spoiled since I live fairly close to Muir Woods in the North Bay. IG: Long_Journey_Home

What everyone else said .... 11.2 miles — very beautiful and well worth it when you get to the falls ! It’s a tuff one - go early bring water & snacks

Beautiful Labor Day hike! The redwoods and waterfalls made for an incredibly scenic and slightly cooler hike than some others. I wouldn't rate this as a hard hike - the elevation is fairly evenly dispersed, although the distance is much closer to 11 miles than 8 miles.

Pretty great 12 mile hike!

Really beautiful 11+ mile hike. The trail has a number of detours, but they are well signed. Almost all of the hike is under tree cover, with very little direct sunlight. Lots of up and down but nothing too steep for too long. Did the whole thing in about 3.5 hours - though I was moving fast and traveling solo.

Day 1 - backpacked to sunset camp via skyline to sea trail. 6.8 miles out to the camp with all the detours and short trails closures. Beautiful trail. Tons of mosquitos at camp though.

One of the best hikes I've been and hasnt disappointed since. Unlike Uvas, this hike always has the falls so it's nice. Pack a few snacks, a hydration pack, and some electrolytes because either way of the trail, it's a 11.5 mile loop. Its 8 miles if you're going to the larger falls and back. I prefer to go counterclockwise since I'd like the full trail. Other than that happy trails!

This hike is no where near 8 miles I did about 12 miles in total. Overall it’s a great hike recommend taking enough food and water. Also I took the trail counterclockwise which in my opinion it was better since I was able to avoid all the steep hills and stairs that I would’ve had to take if I went clockwise. Definitely a great hike!

This is a 11 mile loop not 8.8. But it’s such a great hike to escape the Bay Area heat and even on weekends does not feel as crowded as some other trails. The trail is also softer and thus gentler on your feet. I like going clockwise as you see the waterfalls from the base and then climb up.

Really nice trail. I wouldn't consider it hard, is just long. It took me 5h to complete it on a fast pace and very short breaks. Make sure to pack enough food and water, you will need it.

bridge out

My favorite California Trail With waterfalls! We walked counter clock wise in order to walk up to the falls which was a magical experience ! But def added way more incline doing the loop. It was about 13 miles said and done. But so worth it !

great hike. went clockwise. no bugs today.

Amazing hike through the redwoods. All trails said it’s an 8.8 mile loop but my phone recorded 10.6+ so take lots of water. The trail is well maintained but there is poison oak on the sides so be careful. Also, consider taking bug spray. There are lots of mosquitos.

Enjoyed a quiet midweek hike clockwise. Not a young super athlete and found parks suggested 5-6 hours for the loop a reasonable challenge with time to enjoy the scenery.

closed

3 gorgeous waterfalls and a great work out? Count me in! My husband and I enjoyed this hike very much. There were some closures, but the signs made it very easy to follow. Overall it was hard to get lost. We did it clockwise like the others recommended and we preferred it this way. It's a bit more uphill on the way back, but this way you get to see the waterfalls as you're approaching instead of seeing them from the back. It's a mostly shaded trail, which is very good for hot days. We arrived around 10:30am and it was already almost impossible to find parking, so I'd recommend going earlier ($10 for parking). We started the trail at about 11am and finished at 2:30pm. We had one sandwich stop and a short stop at Berry Creek Falls and Sliver Falls. Bring bug repellent because the mosquitoes here are vicious! However, they didn't manage to make the hike less enjoyable for us. Definitely a place that's worth visiting at least once!

I would definitely recommend this trail. I am from Ga and have never seen big redwoods in person. I loved them!!!! It was very fun and there was more scenery than just the redwoods. Lots of cool vegetation.

I did this on a Sunday morning in the clockwise direction. Parking costs $10. I’m not sure how quickly parking fills up, but it was super quiet when we arrived in the morning. As everyone has said, the mileage is closer to 11-12 miles. We started around 8:30am and finished at 1:10pm. We didn’t really run into anyone until after we reached Berry Creek falls. We tried to understand the trailhead map since there’s a lot of trail closures and detours, but it’s not really necessary. Most people who come here come for the Berry Creek falls loop so all you have to do is follow the signs. The split for counter-clockwise/clockwise is maybe 30 min out from the trailhead. In the clockwise direction, the trail starts with all downhill, and then after the waterfalls it goes up and down back up to the trailhead. The incline is pretty gradual the whole way. Probably 95% of it was in the shade which was nice, but because of that I felt that the scenery was pretty uniform and monotonous. If we stopped to take a break at all the mosquitoes came after us, so we barely took breaks.

Excellent trail hit this wasn’t 8.8. The recording clocked ~11 miles. I was able to finish in 4 hours. The rating is correct this is a moderate trail only for length.

Definitely recommend this trail if you are looking for a challenge. Views are worth taking up this challenge. Starting early would give you an advantage of spending sometime peacefully near any falls.

We began the hike around 9am, going clockwise which has better views of the falls. You will be facing the falls as you keep going up. There is a trail detour, which is well labeled and didn’t seem to affect the loop. We completed the loop at 1:15pm, a little over 4 hours, with breaks. Be sure to bring bug spray as there are lots of mosquitoes on the trail. Also, most of the climbing is during the return trip, so be prepared for this if you do the loop (11.5 miles not 8.8 miles). Good hike and the waterfalls were pleasant!