EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Berry Creek Falls Trail

Berry Creek Falls Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

A strenuous loop that encounters picturesque waterfalls and beautiful redwood groves. From the Park HQ take the Skyline to the Sea Trail then return via the Sunset Trail. Long hike through old-growth redwoods to shimmering waterfalls is a Bay Area favorite. Redwoods and waterfalls make this the best hike in the San Francisco Bay Area. Veteran Berry Creek Falls hikers recommend a counter-clockwise loop starting on the Sunset Trail, turning left on to the Berry Creek Falls Trail, taking another left onto the Skyline-to-the-Sea trail, which returns to the trailhead.

If you want easier, just do skyline to sea trail out and back. It will be about 8 miles. Sunset trail has more steep ups and downs. That said. Went on 11/19/17 and the waterfalls were going and gorgeous. Do go up to silver falls. The forest between the falls is the best part of the hike. Saw some banana slugs and butterflies. Took me 4 and a half hours at a medium pace and stopping frequently to catch my breath.

It was a well groomed trail with easy to navigate signage. The rock steps at the Berry creek waterfall could be a bit slippery when wet. Overall it was a good hike and I personally would not rate it a hard trial. You should have plenty of water and a few snacks. It is not something a person should do in flip flops but a good pair of shoes or hiking boots. I completed it in under 3.5 hours but did take some stops to take in more of the scenery. Enjoy the trail!

Very nice trail, make sure you bring extra layers because it gets surprisingly cold in the forest. Don’t expect much solitude though.

Absolutely amazing and worth doing!

My favorite hike/trail in the bay area. Moderate difficulty (not sure why it's rated hard), can be done in less than 2.5 hours if your are in reasonably good shape like I would like to believe I am in. Gorgeous redwoods, but waterfalls are kind of wimpy this time of year. If you want to avoid weekend crowds, start just before sunrise. I usually see less than a dozen people and only at the very end of my hike.

Good hike. Good distance. The waterfalls were pleasant and refreshing but a bit late in the season so not as full as they would be in the spring. Trees were gorgeous old monuments to natures perseverance over time!

actually did 12.5 miles

great trail

Absolutely gorgeous!

Every step was breathtaking because the forest was immense and dramatic. The waterfalls were a cool needed break on a hot day. The trail is clear and well marked so no risk of getting lost! Would do it again but would go earlier in the year in the hopes the waterfalls had more water.

Very nice trail. I finished the round trip in 3:25 today (just made a 5 min break). I took also some extra miles because I was heading in the wrong direction at the hq because I was following the "Skyline to the Sea" mark, but was not aware that there are two directions

Awesome hike. Great views. Definitely a strenuous hike not for everyone. It's shady for the most part. So many beautiful trees. Bring lots of water. There was a lot of detours which made the hike longer but the falls are definitely worth it. We did this hike Labor Day 2017.

The best hike I have taken in the Bay area.
Take 3 liters of water minimum.
I strongly recommend avoiding weekends or go very early. It gets crowded. This hike is challenging and worth every step. Beautiful.

Beautiful hike- big redwoods, waterfalls and SILENCE.
This took me about 5-5.5 hrs to complete. I have no idea how people finished this in 3-4 hrs but that probably speaks to my... ahem... physical fitness. My legs were jelly at the end.
I recommend when you go to pay for parking, asking the ranger to go through the hike with you on the map. She also gave me tips about which part was sunny, what trails were closed, etc. They also give you something to put in your car that says which trail you took in case you don't return by end of day. Since I was alone, I appreciated that someone might come looking for me if I didn't show up. There is no cell service. I saw 2 people for the duration of my hike on a Thursday afternoon.
I ran out of water- I brought 1 L- for the last couple of miles, which definitely contributed to my fatigue at the end. Bring a lunch and snacks- I didn't eat all the food I brought, but at least I wasn't hungry.
When I returned to the campground, I refilled my water bottle and went to the snack shop and got a cherry slushie. It was heavenly at that moment.
In short- great hike- just know if you are middle aged, slightly overweight, and exercise a few times a week it might take you longer than some of these reviewers and it's not easy. And you will have to go home and tend to your sore body :)

Beautiful! Harder than expected which was a nice surprise. :) Bring lots and lots of water as it gets quite hot despite the shade. And based on what the people working there told me, this is more of a 10-11 miles hike. My map is all wrong bc I paused it and forgot to start up again so it looks like I took a massive jump from one section to the next.

Such a beautiful hike! It's definitely on the harder side with all the ups and downs but the waterfalls and redwoods were well worth it! Like most have posted, at a good walk pace it's about a 4 hour hike. I recommend starting this one early and take your time. Also, bring more water than your usual day hikes!

Great loop, shaded for most of the way with beautiful redwood groves

Definitely a challenging trail, but as an infrequent hiker I found it manageable. Came in around 11.5 miles for me, which took roughly 4 hours with a couple of breaks. Would recommend hiking it clockwise as the hike up the waterfalls was pretty. Overall the trail was marked well and in good shape, but doesn't hurt to ask a ranger to highlight the route on a map. Bring plenty of water and snacks as it can get warm as the day goes on.

Hiked this on Saturday starting at 5pm! Due to some trail closures from storm damage the GPS recorded it as 11.7 miles in 3:15 hours. Bring plenty of water as I used 2L of fluids but gave away over a 1L of fluids to other hikers who were not prepared. Berry Creek waterfall was awesome and there is plenty of water even this late in the season. It was running strong. I hike this trail several times a year and each time too many people are getting caught without proper planning (water, flashlight, food and sugars etc). It is really beautiful place but be prepared.