EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Berry Creek Falls Trail

Berry Creek Falls Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

A strenuous loop that encounters picturesque waterfalls and beautiful redwood groves. From the Park HQ take the Skyline to the Sea Trail then return via the Sunset Trail. Long hike through old-growth redwoods to shimmering waterfalls is a Bay Area favorite. Redwoods and waterfalls make this the best hike in the San Francisco Bay Area. Veteran Berry Creek Falls hikers recommend a counter-clockwise loop starting on the Sunset Trail, turning left on to the Berry Creek Falls Trail, taking another left onto the Skyline-to-the-Sea trail, which returns to the trailhead.

We have done this hike multiple times with our family (teenagers). The best route is Skyline To The Sea out and then Sunset back - you have a creek and redwoods most of the way out, and there is a nice rest spot with a bench before you climb rather than descend next to the falls. Check before you go - the Skyline To The Sea trail was washed out and closed for repairs the last time we went. This is my favorite hike in the Bay Area.

Amazing falls and landscapes.

OK, I spent 15 minutes writing a review, then when I clicked "Upload Photos", it completely deleted the review I wrote. Not cool AllTrails! I will re-type the review and skip the photos.

I did the Berry Creek Falls loop on 6/13/2017. My iWatch measured it at 10.3 miles and it took me 4.5 hours with about a 15 minute stop at the falls for a snack. I recommend doing the loop "clockwise" for the views of the falls as you approach. Similar to Caliph below, I took I took Redwood Trail, to Dool, to Sunset, Sunset Connector, Skyline, Berry Creek Falls, back to Sunset. It is a bit difficult to find the Sunset Trailhead from the parking lot, it is not well marked.

I consider my self an advanced hiker, and I did NOT find this to be a "hard" or "strenuous" hike compared to hikes I've done in the Sierras or in Hawaii. The trails are wide and well-manicured and there are wooden bridges over all creeks. The downhill portions were as easy as it gets and the uphill portions were mostly gentle upgrade, "moderate" at most. The only strenuous portion was next to the waterfalls, and there are actual stairs along with a cable to grab onto.

Highlights were the falls themselves, not just Berry Creek Falls, but also Silver Falls, The Cascades, and Golden Falls. Also the redwoods! Many downed trees from the heavy winter this past year. The trail is mostly shady and out of the sun. I did not find the mosquitos to be bad at all.

I did this hike on a Tuesday afternoon. There was plenty of parking. I ran into a number of people on the trail, but not that many. I would definitely recommend going on a weekday if at all possible. Weekends might be a completely different experience.

A few other tidbits. There is no cell signal in Big Basin redwoods, so don't count on being able to make calls or send texts. There is a nice little general store that sells cold drinks, snacks, sandwiches, etc., good for pre or post hike if you didn't bring enough of your own food or drink.