EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Berry Creek Falls Trail

Berry Creek Falls Trail is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

A strenuous loop that encounters picturesque waterfalls and beautiful redwood groves. From the Park HQ take the Skyline to the Sea Trail then return via the Sunset Trail. Long hike through old-growth redwoods to shimmering waterfalls is a Bay Area favorite. Redwoods and waterfalls make this the best hike in the San Francisco Bay Area. Veteran Berry Creek Falls hikers recommend a counter-clockwise loop starting on the Sunset Trail, turning left on to the Berry Creek Falls Trail, taking another left onto the Skyline-to-the-Sea trail, which returns to the trailhead.

We only did the easy part from the park HQ to the Berry Creek waterfall and then we turned back. It took us around 4 hours to get there: we stopped a lot to take pictures, climb rocks on the stream and giant fallen trees on the side of the trail. It only took us ~1 1/2 hours to get back.
There are more (smaller) waterfalls going up. But it was getting dark and we were too tired already. You should might want to try if you have energy ;)
It’s a beautiful hike for sure :)

Stunning! What you need to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Come early in the weekends as the parking lot fills in quickly. I started at 8:45 am and finished the trail in 4 hours with plenty of stops for picture taking or simply taking in the beauty of the place. My recommendation is to hike the trail counter clockwise. The first part of the hike is pleasant but nothing spectacular.... until you reach the opening at the top of of the mountain with its different vegetation of smaller trees and hanging moss. And then you hit the waterfalls! And then it’s one grove of giant redwoods after another. You’ve walked a long time and you’re feeling tired but st the same time humbled and rewarded.

these waterfalls are a hidden gem!!! berry creek falls are the biggest, then continue another mile or so to the cascading waterfalls, about 6-7 in a row. we did out and back - from park HQ to the end of the cascading waterfalls on the skyline to sea trail, and it was about 11.5 miles. not a ton of elevation, but an incredible workout if you push yourself to go hard. loved it overall!!!!

My fav Bay Area hike

heavy trafficed trail. very challenging but Beautiful. totally worth it. unfortunately my husband took me as a surprise and I didn't wear my neoprene socks, so I got bad blisters. it says no digs but there were a few on the trail. huge horse poops here and there.

Epic drive, epic hike. Facilities: 10/10, trail maintenance 9/10, crowds 5/10, landscape 10/10. Lengthy hike with a serious waterfall scramble cable-assisted. Clockwise route will start with old growth redwoods and 2nd leg will be upper elevation 2nd growth tan oak scrub.

Too many people exercising.

Did this hike a month ago. Absolutely beautiful!! I did the full loop which was very taxing but doable. Gorgeous views the whole time. Would highly recommend!

It was an excellent hike. We completed in 5 hours.The weather was very good, not sunny and there were 3 different falls, we started off in the clock wise direction and first you would reach to berry creek. A good hike

Great views !

We first decided to do the sunset trail to berry creek falls trail then back to headquarters from skyline to the sea trail, but when we got to the intersection we decided to take west waddell creek so we could see the ocean. altogether that trek was about 13miles and it was pretty gnarly at times. We had a buddy pick us up and drop us back off at the car, we were ready for 10-11 miles, back to our car would have added another 8 mile hike. better safe than sorry. beautiful scenery though!

Awesome trail.

Great hike. Took a little under 4 hours to complete. We went clockwise, I think that was easier with the elevation climb. Saw tons of banana slugs and salamanders (or newts?). Go early, the park fills up fast.

Definitely a workout! As for someone who isn’t in that great of a shape, it proved a little difficulty. There is some areas of incline and boy did it kick my butt. But I’m glad I decided to do this trail. Gorgeous falls, redwood trees and banana slugs! Took us about 5hrs w/a lunch break.

Fantastic trail. Beautiful waterfalls and awesome redwood trees all along. Carry lots of water. Not for beginners though.

Great Trail

Totally family friendly. My 5 and 6 year old daughters completed this hike in a little over 5.5 hours. Beautiful scenery and trails. The falls were flowing great after a week of rain. Came across a turtle, banana slugs and “troll” rocks close to the falls. Great hike

Just finished this hike today in under 4.5 hours. I enjoyed it but I do not think I will ever do this trail again or recommend it. While the falls were great, the overall trail felt repetitive.

Its tricky so pay attention to your map/gps on alltrails app. I took the wrong route and ended up uphill and I did 16 miles roundtrip in 7 hours. I was soooooo tired I couldn’t handle it anymore the last 3 miles. Falls are gorgeous!

Also if you take the skyline trail you will see a gorgeous treehouse. Would do it again. Take lots of water/electrolytes for the boost.

One of the best hikes I have ever done.

Many were saying to do this hike counter clockwise. The Ranger said to do it clockwise because of the stairs at Silver Falls. Glad we listened to the Ranger and went clockwise. Those stairs are steep, and glad we went up them instead of down. There was a sign warning of a strenuous 6 hour hike ahead at the beginning. I really didn't think it would be strenuous for me since I hike every weekend, but boy was I wrong. It was a little strenuous, especially the last 3-4 miles. My legs just ached at this point I really just had to push through. Beautiful hike and I would totally do it again. Took us about 6 hours, including a long hour break at the falls to eat and take pictures.

One of my best hikes. Go during a weekday so you’ll have the trail for yourself - I barely saw anyone during the 3.5 hours I was on the trail. Beautiful waterfalls along the trail. NO restrooms were seen so keep that in mind.

This trail was challenging but very much worth it. Though it's marked as a 10 mile hike, my Apple watch indicated it's closer to 12. Allow yourself a good 5-6 hours to complete depending on your pace. When our group did the hike, we had to plow through it because we had a later start, plus it was raining and hailing pretty hard -- which made for a memorable experience. The views of the towering redwood trees are incredible and the waterfalls were running strong, you really feel like you're in another world. I would definitely come back and recommend for those looking for a good moderate-difficult hike!

Gentle rise in elevation. Very peaceful

Background info: I am not at my fittest but I love a challenge and I KNOW I can handle these types of hikes. I went at the end of February during a relatively dry winter in the morning (started at 8:30 AM and finished back at my car at 1:45 PM. I brought plenty of water (including a filtration system in case I ran out) and plenty of snacks.

The hike: First, starting off in the morning is such a smart thing to do as you avoid the crowds. I noticed toward the end of my hike the trails started to get more populated and I had to dodge people coming down as I went up. I love hiking to get away from the city and people so I enjoyed the first-half of this hike. Due to closed trails, this route took longer (but it was expected after reading other reviews). Yes, there are times when the incline gets you huffing and puffing (at least me), but totally doable. I enjoyed traveling along multiple water sources due to comfort and security should I run out of water. There is a sign that recommends you bring at least 3 liters of water for the entire duration but I think that is playing it safe. At one point you dramatically burst out of the trees and shade and end up exposed to the elements along a cliff. Personally, I enjoyed this area as it gave me the opportunity to soak in the sun and relax for a quick minute. I didn't take many breaks so I was able to complete this hike relatively quickly. I don't believe this hike is "family-friendly" but it is appropriate for those who can care for themselves. There are times where a parent having to watch for their own safety in addition to the safety of their child makes it not suitable for young children. I encourage you to check it out for yourself.

Great hike. Do it early to avoid the crowds.

Waterfalls were beautiful even without much rain so far. I would recommend starting this hike early in the morning. The redwoods were amazing.

Great hike! Great work out! Lots of people on the weekends. Parking is difficult and had to park a mile out. Waterfall was low on water :(

It’s a great hike I did today and the falls are amazing

A great 10.5-mile hike through the redwoods that seems more moderate than strenuous except for the distance. Elevation gains are gradual, so even though the total gain was 2,400 feet it seemed less. The climax of the hike is a series of small falls that make up the silver falls and the single long Berry Creek Falls. Since they are roughly half way around the loop they offer a respite and have areas to enjoy a picnic. We went in February and only saw two other people along the hike, but I imagine in the spring and summer crowds may make that a little less peaceful. While the distance is listed as 9.5 miles it was actually 10.5 as a section of the skyline-to-the-sea trail was closed and the detour added about a mile. It does not look like the closed section will open anytime soon. The path was well marked and mostly dirt. Any type of shoe will be fine for this hike.