Learn more

Berry Creek Falls Loop is a 13 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Length 13.0 mi Elevation gain 2,335 ft Route type Loop

Waypoints (10)
Facilities
Contact
Tips

Due to COVID-19 the loop is one way and it’s currently the opposite way than what is show on this map. During winter there might be closures in this area due to flooding or high winds. Please check with the park before attempting. A strenuous loop that encounters picturesque waterfalls and beautiful redwood groves. From the park headquarters, take the Sunset Trail and then return via the Skyline to the Sea Trail. This is a counter-clockwise route. You can also hike this loop clockwise, but most people elect to hike it counter-clockwise. This is a state park and they charge $10 to park.

Park at the park head quaters

When to go: This hike can be done in almost any weather. Winter rains bring greater flow to the falls, but the shorter days create a greater risk of running out of daylight. Buy a map at the park HQ - it's easy to get lost at Big Basin without one. If you see a banana slug, resist the urge to pick it up. Salt on human skin is damaging to the slug's moist exterior. What to bring Map: Buy one at the park HQ. Layers: It's often very cool in the redwoods but warm in the sun. Camera Proper hiking gear (and food/water)

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (1444)
Photos (2657)
Recordings (1113)
Completed (3339)
Sara Baker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 07 2020
Hiking

Bring all of the water! I went through two huge bottles, but the redwoods and waterfalls are well worth it!

Silvia Magana
Hiking

I did the hike 7/5/2020 my first time there I loved the hike at times it was tough the view was amazing we got to see 2 waterfalls we started our hike at 8 am and finished around 1 pm best time to go is early in the morning .

Leanne Skirzynski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 06 2020
Hiking

Did this hike on 7/5/2020. Highly recommend. I would classify this hike as moderate. It’s on the longer side, but the incline is gradual. Due to COVID-19 the loop is one way and it’s the opposite way than what AllTrails shows. I brought three liters of water and drank it all. There were mosquitos out so you may want to consider bug spray. The vast majority of the hike is in the shade. Overall so beautiful- redwoods, waterfalls, banana slugs, and salamanders.

Shana McCarl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020

This is an amazing hike, very beautiful and shady. Don't believe the expected completion time of 6 hours, I finished it in 4 hours and 23 minutes.

Jenn Symmons
Hiking

Went on 4th of July and it was MAGIC. Butterflies abound and all the waterfalls are moving. Still bring some bug spray if mosquitoes like you. I stared at 8am & finished around 2pm. It’s not getting to falls, but getting back that will take you the most time.

Andy Mandy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 02 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail with lots of cute little banana slugs everywhere! It’s shaded for the majority of the trail. During this Covid period, the trails only go in one direction so PLEASE PLEASE FOLLOW THE SIGNS. This decreases exposure to other individuals while on the hike. Also make sure to bring lots of water! Went with a group of fast hikers and completed the loop in 4 hrs. Started the hike at around 7:30am and there weren’t many people around but when I got back the parking lot was full and there were large crowds.

Madison Greenlund
HikingOff trailRocky

Beautiful waterfall. Long but moderate - I advise not doing this hike on a very hot day. It is too long and without enough water my partner and I almost passed out nearing the end.

Karandeep Ghuman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 01 2020

Epic

Chris Cook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020
Hiking

Long but moderate is a good description. Trails are marked well enough, and despite its length this trail rarely falls into the boring category. The biggest negative (at least when I went) was the crowd at the waterfalls, which takes a little joy out of the waterfall, but not ruinously so. The redwoods are just awesome, especially if you're not from the area (like me). You change elevation a lot, but spread out enough to the point where you don't usually feel overwhelmed.

Brianna Arroyo
HikingMuddyRocky

Just did a solo hike today and it was magical! It definitely was hard at times and then really easy on others. There is a lot of uphill and downhill. I started my hike at 1pm and was done at 6:20pm. So be prepared. I brought a 2.5L of water and it was just enough for the whole hike. Other than that a little muddy once arrive at the second falls.

gina hartzel
HikingFee

Please follow the one way signs and do not go against the flow of traffic! The trail was lovely, definitely get there early as there was a long line of traffic to enter when we were leaving at 1430. One way direction in place for social distancing, many people ignoring that. And be prepared for a long, fun hike!

Breann S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail, not too many people. They have it sectioned for one way due to COVID. Waterfall was beautiful!

Deziree Del Rosario
HikingBugs

Lemme tell you.. if you don’t hike regularly or you choose to hike once in a blue moon.. this is a note for you/us ! this is a challenge. Not many reviews tell you about the tough parts of the trail.. We only made it to the first waterfall (Berry Creek) and there was a sign before you start the actual hike from Headquarters that says “6hr hike strenuous hike” and definitely noted to take that more seriously next time and didn’t see any reviews of that sign being there before arriving at the campground. Anyway! It got kind of confusing with the whole detours (one way trails due to COVID-19) & trying to match the map we were given. We ended up going back the way we came (sorry, but all the other hikers were so nice, doing the same thing and so generous to give enough room or wait to pass). We brought 2 40oz hydro flasks and went through them. Definitely bring snacks to keep you going. Wore hats but the tree shade is so nice and there was a nice breeze the whole time. Our legs are completely shot and if u wear sunscreen the little mosquitoes LOVE it. Well they love you either way with all that sweat. Since the hike is 6+ hrs long start early! - we started around 945am and returned to our car at headquarters at 4:30pm on the dot. Definitely prepare in general :) I know people are gonna read this and think it’s dramatic but, we are all different people and sizes and have different athletic backgrounds. Happy Hiking!

Hira Abidi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingFeeGreat!

What to Expect: This is a moderately strenuous hike and if you enjoy 10+ mile hikes with decent views, this is definitely for you. If you're doing the hike just for the waterfalls, I'd advise against it. Overall, the falls are underwhelming, but if you make it to the Berry Creek waterfall, I would definitely recommend going the additional mile and seeing the Golden Cascade waterfall and the Silver falls. Just be prepared for a long hike! Parking, Fees, and COVID Changes: On a Saturday morning, we had no issues finding parking arriving at 8:30, but the lot filled up quickly after that. There is a $10 fee - they take cash and card, and there are rangers available to help you map out your hike. Because of COVID, the Berry Creek Falls Loop was one way: we took the Redwood Trail -> Skyline to the Sea -> Berry Creek Falls-> return via Sunset Trail, totaling 12.6 mi. We completed this in 6 hours, including a leisurely lunch and several small stops for rehydrating/snacks. The Berry Creek Falls trail took us through to all the waterfalls, but despite being one-way trails, you have the option of doing the hike just to the first Berry Creek Falls and return from there. What to Bring: Just remember to pace yourself, bring plenty of water, and wear comfortable shoes. You will definitely need bug spray, but sunscreen is up to you - you'll have limited sun exposure. Most hikers also were wearing face masks as a courtesy to other hikers. The falls are a great place to rest for lunch before hiking back - the hike back via Sunset Trail definitely feels longer and is more strenuous, with several stretches of uphill/downhill segments. Overall, although not very scenic, this is a decent day-long hike as long as you are in fair physical shape.

natasha N.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 25 2020
HikingFee

Great trail, quiet. Appreciated the detour and one way signs for COVID. The 1st 2 waterfalls were gorgeous. The other 2 must have been a trickle or dried up already. Glad it is mostly shaded, good for a warm day. Some mosquitos. We did the entire loop in 4.5 hours car to car with a stop for maybe 20 minutes. It was not that hard, mostly long and multiple up/downs. Can’t wait to do it again earlier in the spring when there is more water.

Jelli Arte
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingBugsFee

Loved this one so much. I think this is probably my favorite one for the coastal redwoods here in California. The drive there was a bit windy of course as usual as is for many hiking trails. Can be easy to wear out brakes so do be careful driving. $10’parking fee and can pay with atm. The trail itself, very easy to follow for the most part as long as you read the signs. As per suggestion, we took skyline to sea trail to berry falls then sunset back that way we are walking to the waterfalls and not with it behind us as a previous post suggested which was very pretty. Sunset trail isn’t as scenic as skyline to sea however. So if you want to just hike to the falls using skyline to sea to berry falls then go back the same way you came in, that’s fine. You’re not really missing all that much taking sunset trail. However doing the route that we did was nice just because it was a loop through the redwoods and we can see the very top of the waterfalls. Because trail is long, definitely great to have a water filter handy! I used it to refill. I also do agree this trail is moderate. Taking sunset back up requires incline but I did fine maybe because of proper pacing. I don’t think this trail is hard, just more so long! Completed 13 miles and it felt amazing. Go when you get the chance. And also bring bug spray. I got so many mosquito bites after doing this trail. Never had so many in my life till now haha. So make sure you have good bug spray.

Raymond L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingBugsFee

Bring bug spray just in case. I didn't have to use it until I sat down for lunch, and then I was a sitting target! The trails don't have overgrown vegetation so feel free to wear shorts instead of pants if you want. The trails are clearly marked and the park has implemented one-way direction due to COVID which I appreciated.

Yasmin Karimi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 17 2020
Fee

Have done this trail several times in the past 2 years and loved it each time. The falls are the best in the spring/early summer and tend to dry out and be less impressive in the fall. Trail is definitely longer than 11 miles (as others have noted). Its easy to get onto the wrong trail, so follow the trail marked on the app closely.

Astrid Holberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 16 2020
Hiking

The park is definitely open now. There is a required detour near the beginning which is very well-marked, but it does add some mileage. My phone recorded the total hike as 13.2 miles. There is currently a requirement to hike this trail in the clockwise direction to try to minimize contact due to COVID-19. On a Tuesday it was not crowded, nor was it buggy. The entire loop is lovely, but best part of the trail is the spectacular Berry Creek Falls trail section with two waterfalls and a big cascade. The final uphill climb was long but not too bad since shady and not that steep. This was a fantastic hike which I would definitely do again.

Douglas Kazumi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 07 2020
RunningFee
View Douglas's Recording
Christine Phillips
HikingFee

This trail was definitely not as strenuous as I thought. Did the 11 miles in about 4 hours and it was shaded pretty much the entire time. There is a $10 fee to park here and they accept cards. Would definitely do this again!

View Christine's Recording
Laila Hashimi
Hiking

This trail is the most beautiful one in big basin It’s 6 hrs 17 miles hike it has 3 big waterfalls it is very difficult take lots of water if you’re planning to take the loop .. I went 5 months ago and I hope they open soon again

Shaun Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 04 2020
HikingBugs

Beautiful hike! Be aware that they have one way trails set up right now. Although, some people still went the other way, which I didn't really care about. If you follow the one way signs, it's about 13 miles. Definitely bring bug spray. When your on the skyline to the sea and berry creek falls trails, you are mostly by streams and water sources. The elevation isn't too bad on the skyline trail. I would recommend starting on the skyline trail, to berry creek, to the sunset trail. this way, you come up from the bottom of the waterfalls and get great views instead of hiking with them to your back. There is one part that can be rather difficult by the cascading falls that is narrow and steep. There is a wire railing to hold onto though and it's gorgeous. Be prepared with PLENTY of water as the elevation can get to you on the second half of the hike. A lot of uphill on the sunset trail (or downhill if you go the opposite way). Make sure to start early in the morning. We are the most fit people but we also aren't out of shape and it took us about 7.25 hours with the added 2 miles.

An Pham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 01 2020

It was such a pretty hike. I can't wait to go again. they taped off the observation deck to try to maximize social distancing

Jacqueline Jordan
Hiking

Good hike!! Nothing too crazy. A small detour but other than that, very smooth. Parking has been cut to half but we had no trouble finding a spot! Took us about 4.5 hours but my boyfriend and I are pretty fit. For the most part, you’re under the shade of the Redwoods but there’s a small stretch where you’ll hit direct sunlight. Highly recommend.