Berry Creek Falls Loop

Berry Creek Falls Loop is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

A strenuous loop that encounters picturesque waterfalls and beautiful redwood groves. From the park headquarters, take the Sunset Trail and then return via the Skyline to the Sea Trail. This is a counter-clockwise route. You can also hike this loop clockwise, but most people elect to hike it counter-clockwise.

Resumed hiking after 2 years with this one. We also followed counter clockwise. About 4 hours we completed with few stops. It was difficult but I was able to complete. falls, birds, redwoods and you will enjoy.

great hike!

A bit tough. I’d take everyone’s advice and do counterclockwise, we unfortunately did the opposite per the rangers suggestion and we only saw one other couple doing it this way. Much easier doing it counterclockwise and I know why now. Beautiful place and waterfalls are amazing to see.

Bring water and look out for banana slugs! Great hike.

Started early and by the time we reached it was around 7:15 am and cold. Very few cars were parked due to the cold I guess. Found initially little confusing where the trail started and took us some time to get on the trail. As per the review I read by lots of hikers we wanted to do the anti clock wise hike but came across a detour sign asking us the go on the clock wise direction. We ended up doing that and did not encounter any one until we reached the falls and decided to try the other side to get back to the parking when saw few people coming from the counter clockwise side of the trail. There was no issue with the trail not sure why they had put a detour sign. Took 5 1/2 hrs for us to finish the trail.

So gorgeous! Tough hike but a good one!

I took the advice here and went early, parking lot at 8 and also took the trail counter clockwise
I only saw three peoples going down and lots of birds! At the falls it began to seem like a freeway but still very beautiful and cool on a hot day.
Took me a little over 4 1/2 hours - I’m older and moderately fit.
Would totally recommend this hike.
Also bring $10 cash if you get there before the park opens to pay for parking - I didn’t have change so then for $20 from me.

Strenuous but great! Really beautiful waterfalls

Hiked the loop, counterclockwise, last week (07/21) and started about 06:07am and finished back to car at 09:43am, which included at 15/20 minute break at Berry Falls. I've done this hike in the past couple years ago.

GAIS GPS clocked in at 10:55 miles roundtrip, while the Apple Watch clocked in at 10.46miles.

You'll be mostly in the shade. There are some section of the trail that are closed so watch for the detour signs. Can't miss them. A lot of up/downs. If you start counter-clockwise, you'll be mostly going down, or up gradual inclines but nothing too crazy. The last three miles is mostly up, but gradual.

Overall, nice hike through the redwood and peaceful and calm (as I was there pretty early). Go early if you can. It's nice and peaceful early in the morning when it's quiet.

Quite strenuous loop, considering few closures along the hike. Get early to avoid the crowd. 3 waterfalls along.

Arrived at 8:45a on Sunday and found the lot closest to HQ already full. Per the recommendation of the Park Aide, I hiked this trail counter-clockwise and was I glad I did since I was fresh and going downhill through the gorgeous upper part of Sunset trail as it winds through redwood groves. Most of the Berry Creek Falls trail is also very pretty. Completed the hike in 5.5 hours with a brief layover at the falls and numerous photo stops. There’s a big tree across Berry Creek Falls Trail right at the juncture with Sunset Trail, so it looks like the Berry Creek Falls trail is closed. But it’s not.

Truly beautiful Hike. I started around 5:30AM. Saw the forest wake up as I made my way to Berry Creek Falls. I recommend doing this counter clockwise as well. The uphill on the return is long but gradual. I did the 10.5 + detours within 4 hours, that included pit stop for photos and snacks. Doing it that early I did not run into anyone till I was pretty much back at Park Headquarters. It was truly epic. Highly recommend it.

Epic! Long hike. My device clocked 10.5 miles and I completed within 4 hours. That is including pit stops for lunch, photos and to catch breath.

I suggest counter clockwise for this hike. Pro tip: For parking when you come late, go past the first parking (which is generally full) and then head towards north of the park. There again, you will find cars to be full but there is a road on the left which has wooden bridge. People ignore it cause wooden bridge is meant for pedestrians, cyclists etc. But cars can go on it. After that you will be many more parking spots near the camp ground. Also you will be able to jump start your hike as one of the entry point is there itself. Take the dool trail and see signs for sunset trail detour.

The hike despite being long doesn't have much elevation gain. Sunset trail has couple of ups and downs but very doable. Skyline to sea trail has constant elevation but its not steep. So this hike is between moderate to strenuous. Make sure you get something to eat and 2 plus liter of water.

Great day hike. Took us about 6hrs to complete, with a lunch stop at one of the waterfalls. Note there’s currently a detour around the Sunset-Dool leg, so just factor in another mile or so.

This is a beautiful trail. I would say more moderate than hard. We powered through in under 4 hours, but good trail to stop for lunch by the falls and enjoy the scenery.

We finished nearly 12 miles in 4 hours, the elevation gain was less than 2000ft, it’s a moderate trail for regular hikers. It has beautiful redwood trees, falls and creeks along the way, 98% of the time we are in shade. I didn’t even need my sunglasses. It’s a great hike for the summer time.

It has many ups and downs. I got very tired during the last .5 miles.

Amazing. A must-do.

Hiked on July 4th. This trail was not crowded at all! Consider it as a hard hike and save energy to the second part. First part is downhill, second uphill.

Great way to escape the busy week days! Beautiful scenery and perfect weather. Bring plenty of water and snacks! Waterfalls were a sight to see as well as the banana slugs! Would definitely hike again, quick drive from the Bay Area!

Wonderful trail. The waterfalls is amazing! Some parts of the trail have been closed, but we found another way.

Did this loop clockwise, and camped at Sunset Trail Camp. The whole experience was absolutely stunning, Berry Creek Falls are a sight to see and then as you travel up Berry Creek Falls trail you are gifted with even more beautiful falls. Sunset Trail offers a nice change of scenery as you get higher up in elevation. Overall it was an amazing experience.

Gorgeous

A hard hike. Lot of uphill and downhill.

Great hike. I would rate this as moderate though.

Favorite Bay Area hike.

We only did the easy part from the park HQ to the Berry Creek waterfall and then we turned back. It took us around 4 hours to get there: we stopped a lot to take pictures, climb rocks on the stream and giant fallen trees on the side of the trail. It only took us ~1 1/2 hours to get back.
There are more (smaller) waterfalls going up. But it was getting dark and we were too tired already. You should might want to try if you have energy ;)
It’s a beautiful hike for sure :)

Stunning! What you need to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Come early in the weekends as the parking lot fills in quickly. I started at 8:45 am and finished the trail in 4 hours with plenty of stops for picture taking or simply taking in the beauty of the place. My recommendation is to hike the trail counter clockwise. The first part of the hike is pleasant but nothing spectacular.... until you reach the opening at the top of of the mountain with its different vegetation of smaller trees and hanging moss. And then you hit the waterfalls! And then it’s one grove of giant redwoods after another. You’ve walked a long time and you’re feeling tired but st the same time humbled and rewarded.

these waterfalls are a hidden gem!!! berry creek falls are the biggest, then continue another mile or so to the cascading waterfalls, about 6-7 in a row. we did out and back - from park HQ to the end of the cascading waterfalls on the skyline to sea trail, and it was about 11.5 miles. not a ton of elevation, but an incredible workout if you push yourself to go hard. loved it overall!!!!