Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail

Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike just off the I-15 in Escondido. Hike past Lake Hodges and up a mountain for views of the surrounding area. This trail is part of a network of trails from Coast to Crest so you can hike as long or as short as you'd like.

Great challenging hike to the top of the summit. Great views and view of Lake Hodges. Will hike again.

This is a really nice hike up to the Bernardo Summit. The terrain varies from flat, to rocky and some decent inclines. It is a well worn trail that are shared with mountain bikers, hikers and trail runners. I would say it is a good trail for most, there were some seniors and children on the trail, so use your best judgment. There are several different trails that can be taken, I was on the one marked “Bernardo Mountain Summit” which takes you to rattlesnake view point. If you are going in the summer or hot in general, start early mornings to avoid heat issues, not a lot of shaded areas and in the summer Escondido gets well over 90 degs, so hotter on the mountain. Overall a great work out, great views and round trip was about 4.5 miles

First/last mile against major highway. once away from it the hike got much better. little shade but nice views.

Great!
Took my 4 month old and it was varied enough in terrain and trail alone to keep him entertained!
Difficulty varied with multiple hills despite climbs by a hill!!
I will do it again!

Great hike! Even if you are out of shape, I believe you can still conquer it lol. My wife and my 7 year old was able to finish it under 3hrs. Beautiful view of Lake Hodge, Escondido, and RB!

Nice semi-strenuous hike near Escondido. Great views near and at the summit.

Easy to moderate hike and the view at the summit is worth the hike. Nice to see that in the midst of suburbs, nature is still abundant and accessible. Along the trail, you can enjoy the various wildflowers in bloom.

I love this hike- flat enjoyable path around lake to gradual incline to pretty steep hike as you get to the top- Im older so I find this challenging enough for exercise- always see quail and roadrunner or two with nice view of lake- love it!

Not crowded during midday. Some rocky sections but mostly towards the top. Views of other mountains and rooftops of houses.

Great hike. Rated appropriately in this app. Good hike even for senior hikers. 360 Panoramic view at the top. Not to crowded in Feb. and breeze was nice in places during the hike.

Loved it! It was a great afternoon. The dog loved it, too. The trail is narrow in some areas so single file hiking. And if there’s a bike it’s tight.

For those who consider this “easy”.... perhaps Mt Fuji would be more appropriate for you.

Beautiful Views at the top!

Easy to moderate I would say. Not much to see until you get to the peak.

My 6 yr. old and I did this trail not to long ago and had a great time. Great views from the peak.

Too many snakes on trail. Yikes!!!

Great views from top, a few moderate inclines. Dog friendly on leash.

I would say this trail is easy to moderate. pretty flat for a majority of the hike.

Great little hike to the top. I’m in love with the view from the summit.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

We'll traveled and comfortable enough to hike alone.
I climbed on Saturday, August 26th. About 10:30 am I left my trekking poles leaning against the wooden fence posts inside the parking lot, near the design sign of the park. Anyone find them? I just now realized they are missing. Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

I really enjoy running this trail from Rancho Bernardo Glassman Recreation Center, across the bridge and up the mountain. Exactly 7 miles round trip. Rocky and steep at times, but beautiful view at the top!

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Fantastic!! Hiked it on 12aug17

Sunday, July 30, 2017

A nice clean well maintained trail. Part paved, part sand/dirt, and part rock & gravel towards the top. Popular for mountain bikes until you reach the summit turn off. 360 view from the top of Lake Hodges and Escondido. The hum of the 15 traffic is constant.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

The hardest part was getting to the right trail. We hiked a wrong direction for a mile when we started..... Glad I had the AllTrails app on. Once incline starts, it gets fairly rocky and steep but we (me and 6 yr old son) made it and the view from the top was awesome! On a side note, this may not be a best hike for younger kids like my son. It really isn't so pretty on the way up you can't really see great views. We've tried Woodson and Cowles I'd say this one was unique.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Not very pretty while you are climbing, but the view at the top is really great.

You can run this trail if you want to make it a little tougher. Mind the rocks because they are ankle killers.

Monday, July 03, 2017

The lower trial is soft and wide, great running conditions. Once the incline begins, it gets pretty rocky at several spots but still run-able. Excellent 360 view at summit. Well worth it.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

great view of the lake, not too crowded today

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Well kept. Easy until you start approaching the top, then it's pretty steep. Low traffic once you start up the summit trail. A bit too urban is the only complaint, but an undeniably beautiful view.

Sunday, April 02, 2017