Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail

Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike just off the I-15 in Escondido. Hike past Lake Hodges and up a mountain for views of the surrounding area. This trail is part of a network of trails from Coast to Crest so you can hike as long or as short as you'd like.

Easy to moderate hike and the view at the summit is worth the hike. Nice to see that in the midst of suburbs, nature is still abundant and accessible. Along the trail, you can enjoy the various wildflowers in bloom.

I love this hike- flat enjoyable path around lake to gradual incline to pretty steep hike as you get to the top- Im older so I find this challenging enough for exercise- always see quail and roadrunner or two with nice view of lake- love it!

Not crowded during midday. Some rocky sections but mostly towards the top. Views of other mountains and rooftops of houses.

Great hike. Rated appropriately in this app. Good hike even for senior hikers. 360 Panoramic view at the top. Not to crowded in Feb. and breeze was nice in places during the hike.

Loved it! It was a great afternoon. The dog loved it, too. The trail is narrow in some areas so single file hiking. And if there’s a bike it’s tight.

For those who consider this “easy”.... perhaps Mt Fuji would be more appropriate for you.

Beautiful Views at the top!

Easy to moderate I would say. Not much to see until you get to the peak.

My 6 yr. old and I did this trail not to long ago and had a great time. Great views from the peak.

Too many snakes on trail. Yikes!!!

Great views from top, a few moderate inclines. Dog friendly on leash.

I would say this trail is easy to moderate. pretty flat for a majority of the hike.

Great little hike to the top. I’m in love with the view from the summit.

We'll traveled and comfortable enough to hike alone.
I climbed on Saturday, August 26th. About 10:30 am I left my trekking poles leaning against the wooden fence posts inside the parking lot, near the design sign of the park. Anyone find them? I just now realized they are missing. Thanks in advance.

I really enjoy running this trail from Rancho Bernardo Glassman Recreation Center, across the bridge and up the mountain. Exactly 7 miles round trip. Rocky and steep at times, but beautiful view at the top!

Fantastic!! Hiked it on 12aug17

A nice clean well maintained trail. Part paved, part sand/dirt, and part rock & gravel towards the top. Popular for mountain bikes until you reach the summit turn off. 360 view from the top of Lake Hodges and Escondido. The hum of the 15 traffic is constant.

The hardest part was getting to the right trail. We hiked a wrong direction for a mile when we started..... Glad I had the AllTrails app on. Once incline starts, it gets fairly rocky and steep but we (me and 6 yr old son) made it and the view from the top was awesome! On a side note, this may not be a best hike for younger kids like my son. It really isn't so pretty on the way up you can't really see great views. We've tried Woodson and Cowles I'd say this one was unique.

Not very pretty while you are climbing, but the view at the top is really great.

You can run this trail if you want to make it a little tougher. Mind the rocks because they are ankle killers.

The lower trial is soft and wide, great running conditions. Once the incline begins, it gets pretty rocky at several spots but still run-able. Excellent 360 view at summit. Well worth it.

great view of the lake, not too crowded today

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Well kept. Easy until you start approaching the top, then it's pretty steep. Low traffic once you start up the summit trail. A bit too urban is the only complaint, but an undeniably beautiful view.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Beautiful hike. Well maintained trail

Sunday, April 02, 2017

A tough run with good elevation gain and views atop the summit. Tricky single track in most of the trail about 2 miles in due to bikes, walkers and dogs. Beautiful right now with all the water and flowers. I like to start across the bridge near RB Community Park versus near Adobe house due to the congestion and pavement at trail head.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Great trail, lots of rocks going up the hill. Weather was perfect high 70's to low 80's.

Monday, February 13, 2017

Morning hike with family. Beautiful hike. My only complaint would be the road bikes that are very quiet coming up behind you. It's hard to move out of the way if your engaged in conversation and don't hear them coming. There's no need to be rude about it either, we didn't hear you jack knife. Mountain bikes were louder and more courteous, perhaps the mountain bike riders are familiar with walking a trail as well as riding it, so they get the dilemma.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

A good workout. real suburban.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

It was a decent hike

Friday, December 30, 2016

Excellent hike with panoramic view at the very top you can see the ocean in the distance on a clear day with the lakes and mountains nearby. Must go to the top!