Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail

Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike just off the I-15 in Escondido. Hike past Lake Hodges and up a mountain for views of the surrounding area. This trail is part of a network of trails from Coast to Crest so you can hike as long or as short as you'd like.

Easy to moderate I would say. Not much to see until you get to the peak.

My 6 yr. old and I did this trail not to long ago and had a great time. Great views from the peak.

Too many snakes on trail. Yikes!!!

Great views from top, a few moderate inclines. Dog friendly on leash.

I would say this trail is easy to moderate. pretty flat for a majority of the hike.

Great little hike to the top. I’m in love with the view from the summit.

We'll traveled and comfortable enough to hike alone.
I climbed on Saturday, August 26th. About 10:30 am I left my trekking poles leaning against the wooden fence posts inside the parking lot, near the design sign of the park. Anyone find them? I just now realized they are missing. Thanks in advance.

I really enjoy running this trail from Rancho Bernardo Glassman Recreation Center, across the bridge and up the mountain. Exactly 7 miles round trip. Rocky and steep at times, but beautiful view at the top!

Fantastic!! Hiked it on 12aug17

A nice clean well maintained trail. Part paved, part sand/dirt, and part rock & gravel towards the top. Popular for mountain bikes until you reach the summit turn off. 360 view from the top of Lake Hodges and Escondido. The hum of the 15 traffic is constant.

The hardest part was getting to the right trail. We hiked a wrong direction for a mile when we started..... Glad I had the AllTrails app on. Once incline starts, it gets fairly rocky and steep but we (me and 6 yr old son) made it and the view from the top was awesome! On a side note, this may not be a best hike for younger kids like my son. It really isn't so pretty on the way up you can't really see great views. We've tried Woodson and Cowles I'd say this one was unique.

Not very pretty while you are climbing, but the view at the top is really great.

You can run this trail if you want to make it a little tougher. Mind the rocks because they are ankle killers.

The lower trial is soft and wide, great running conditions. Once the incline begins, it gets pretty rocky at several spots but still run-able. Excellent 360 view at summit. Well worth it.

great view of the lake, not too crowded today

Well kept. Easy until you start approaching the top, then it's pretty steep. Low traffic once you start up the summit trail. A bit too urban is the only complaint, but an undeniably beautiful view.

Beautiful hike. Well maintained trail

A tough run with good elevation gain and views atop the summit. Tricky single track in most of the trail about 2 miles in due to bikes, walkers and dogs. Beautiful right now with all the water and flowers. I like to start across the bridge near RB Community Park versus near Adobe house due to the congestion and pavement at trail head.

Great trail, lots of rocks going up the hill. Weather was perfect high 70's to low 80's.