Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail

Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike just off the I-15 in Escondido. Hike past Lake Hodges and up a mountain for views of the surrounding area. This trail is part of a network of trails from Coast to Crest so you can hike as long or as short as you'd like.

The hardest part was getting to the right trail. We hiked a wrong direction for a mile when we started..... Glad I had the AllTrails app on. Once incline starts, it gets fairly rocky and steep but we (me and 6 yr old son) made it and the view from the top was awesome! On a side note, this may not be a best hike for younger kids like my son. It really isn't so pretty on the way up you can't really see great views. We've tried Woodson and Cowles I'd say this one was unique.

Not very pretty while you are climbing, but the view at the top is really great.

You can run this trail if you want to make it a little tougher. Mind the rocks because they are ankle killers.

The lower trial is soft and wide, great running conditions. Once the incline begins, it gets pretty rocky at several spots but still run-able. Excellent 360 view at summit. Well worth it.