Berdoo Canyon Trail

Berdoo Canyon Trail is a 15 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Desert Center, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

scenic driving

off road driving

Did this trail in a stock height 2018 Tacoma TRD4x4OR and Chevy Colorado Z71 doing an out and back from Indio. First trip through here, second trail run ever (Meccacopia was the first) and had relatively no problem with it. Being our second trail run ever we spotted way more than was actually necessary to be safe but really there was only 1 area at the end, if you came from Indio, where a spotter felt necessary. With that said, this is a very smooth, sandy, and easy trail except for that one spot... and yes I accidentally ran Paul into a rock, it came out of nowhere! Check out the video for a full video of the trail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj3rgDX5W50

off road driving

Good trail run for a little “dirt time.” Pack a sammy and a cold one to enjoy amongst the yucca trees in JT!!

Easy to moderate desert trail connecting Indio Hills to the backside of Joshua Tree National Park. We ran it as an out and back (23 miles) from the Indio Hills end headed North. The beginning of the trail does take you through the BLM designated shooting area, so be aware and not surprised to hear gunshots. Mostly a sandy wash through the desert canyons with sections of rocky hardpack. There are 2 rock gardens to deal with that warrant the moderate portion of the rating, but stock rides with at least 31” tires should be ok with no scrapes! (Unless your spotter steers you into a big ass rock!..thnx T)

Zero trip tick @ Dillon Rd / Berdoo intersection:
1.2 miles- shooters wash
3.8 miles- gate to enter Joshua Tree Park
4.0 miles- 1st rock garden
8.6 miles - 2nd rock garden (narrow canyon)
11.5 miles- stopped for lunch/ photos/ turnaround

off road driving

We enjoyed driving this easy trail up to Joshua Tree. most of the drive can be accomplished by a novice driver, but there are a few mildly technical spots which require clearance, attention and some care.

off road driving

I don't get the hard rating as it's a pretty easy drive, you just have to slow down in a couple of spots to maneuver some rocks.
The northern side is a nice place to explore, while the southern exit point is more of a means to an end.

Only did 1/3 of it because of sun setting but you for sure need a spotter on a few spots and need legitimate 4x4 and clearance!

off road driving

Great road. Started on the south side going into Joshua Tree. Drove a ‘17 tundra with 3” lift. Most was easy, few spots needed a spotter.

off road driving

Suggest 4x4 and high clearance. Some rock climbing required if you do end to end.

off road driving

We picked up Berdoo Canyon trail from Dillon Rd in Desert Hot Springs. We did this so we would end in JT national park since we were staying in JT. The trail starts out in BLM land with a ton of areas for shooting. So don't forget your guns like we did. Remember shooting is only allow in the BLM area. The entire trail was uphill going this was which in my opinion made it easier to navigate over obstacles. I would definitely recommend a high clearance vehicle. However a full size truck can make this no problem as long as you have the clearance. We did it in a 2016 Ram Rebel and had the suspension set in "Off Road" the entire time. We had only a few close clearance issues but never made contact. Most of the trail there are bypasses around the hard stuff but further up closer to the Nat'l park you had no choice but go thru the boulders. I would highly recommend bringing a lot of water a rescue kit and a comfortable pair of shoes to walk in. Took us about 3 hours to get thru the trail and saw only 1 vehicle till we got to park Blvd. So not a lot of traffic. I'll post a few pictures but the pictures don't really do it justice. The boulders are a lot bigger in person!

off road driving

Great trail. A few rocky spots, but overall pretty easy.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Accidentally drove through here from Geology Tour Road in the nighttime last November. I drove my stock Frontier with regular highway tires and managed to complete it to Dillon Road. We got stuck at one point because my tires got pinched on a boulder and my other tires couldn't get any traction. We had to gather rocks, level the truck, and create a platform to drive off of- took about 2hrs. Other than that we finished the road without any other problems.

We drove through not knowing how rough it is. Regardless the drive was exciting and a little intimidating if you don't know what you're doing. Some corners are hard to navigate through. I'd highly recommend if you have the right vehicle for it.

Thursday, July 09, 2015

I drove my Jeep from Joshua Tree to Indio, using Geology Tour Road and Berdoo Canyon Trail. The trails were fairly easy. There are only a few areas where you have to be careful due to rocks and ground clearance.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017