Berdoo Canyon Trail

Berdoo Canyon Trail is a 15.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Desert Center, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

scenic driving

off road driving

We picked up Berdoo Canyon trail from Dillon Rd in Desert Hot Springs. We did this so we would end in JT national park since we were staying in JT. The trail starts out in BLM land with a ton of areas for shooting. So don't forget your guns like we did. Remember shooting is only allow in the BLM area. The entire trail was uphill going this was which in my opinion made it easier to navigate over obstacles. I would definitely recommend a high clearance vehicle. However a full size truck can make this no problem as long as you have the clearance. We did it in a 2016 Ram Rebel and had the suspension set in "Off Road" the entire time. We had only a few close clearance issues but never made contact. Most of the trail there are bypasses around the hard stuff but further up closer to the Nat'l park you had no choice but go thru the boulders. I would highly recommend bringing a lot of water a rescue kit and a comfortable pair of shoes to walk in. Took us about 3 hours to get thru the trail and saw only 1 vehicle till we got to park Blvd. So not a lot of traffic. I'll post a few pictures but the pictures don't really do it justice. The boulders are a lot bigger in person!

off road driving

Great trail. A few rocky spots, but overall pretty easy.

off road driving

Accidentally drove through here from Geology Tour Road in the nighttime last November. I drove my stock Frontier with regular highway tires and managed to complete it to Dillon Road. We got stuck at one point because my tires got pinched on a boulder and my other tires couldn't get any traction. We had to gather rocks, level the truck, and create a platform to drive off of- took about 2hrs. Other than that we finished the road without any other problems.

We drove through not knowing how rough it is. Regardless the drive was exciting and a little intimidating if you don't know what you're doing. Some corners are hard to navigate through. I'd highly recommend if you have the right vehicle for it.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Thursday, July 09, 2015

I drove my Jeep from Joshua Tree to Indio, using Geology Tour Road and Berdoo Canyon Trail. The trails were fairly easy. There are only a few areas where you have to be careful due to rocks and ground clearance.