Berdoo Canyon Road Drive

Berdoo Canyon Road Drive is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Indio, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, scenic driving, and off road driving and is accessible year-round.

scenic driving

Entering Joshua Tree National Park requires a pass ($20), which is to be paid at the park entrance.

off road driving

the trail itself is fun, great way to get into joshue tree.. challenging in 2 spots.. view on berdoo is ok, but geology tour road is prettier, which is what berdoo dumps you out onto. the bad thing is all the gun nuts at the start of the trail. other review lead me to believe there was something like a shooting range off the road a bit ... no there are people stopped on the side of the trail every 100 yards for the first 30-45 minutes of the trail... you will drive with in 50 feet of random people you don't know it trust holding and firing assualt rifles and hand guns... my wife and children were traumatized.. I don't hate guns, but I choose carefully the people I am around when handling them.. and I was uncomfortable.. enjoyed it, but guns ruined it for us... will not due it again for that reason.

off road driving

What a fantastic trail! Relatively easy even in my stock 4runner, except for one rocky hill which required some careful maneuvering to get through. We approached from Geology Tour Road. However, I would strongly recommend entering the canyon from the south instead. South of the canyon is a BLM area where a lot of people go to shoot so it's a little unpleasant to finish the lovely drive in an area littered with shotgun shells and loud gunfire - better to pass through that at the beginning and then finish the trail with a scenic entrance into the park.

When the weather is good this trail is great fun for the family. Start in the lower desert and go all the way to Joshua Tree and watch the temperature drop.

off road driving

The back door to Joshua Tree NP. I have a Senior Pass, saves me from the ride to either entrance. Couple spots are pretty rough !!

off road driving

This road is a lot of fun, I made it up in my Renegade Trailhawk today.. conditions currently are pretty good!

There's some difficult sections for average clearance vehicles like mine, I'm not lifted, just stock height.There's one part with a steep incline over huge rocks somewhere after the sign for Joshua Tree (which is no longer there, probably stolen or shot down) that was pretty intense and definitely ambitious for me to get up. There was an option to go around it if you stayed to the right trail. Made it though! Bigger Jeeps would love this section I'm sure.

The two big challenges at the start (from Dillon) and at the end (closer to Joshua Tree) required a spotter but are doable with 4x4 even at my vehicles height. The one closest to the entrance of Joshua Tree was definitely the hardest and I had a tire up in the air on a part of it.

Once in the park there were stretches of water on the Geology tour road that were fun to splash around in. Also this is the only free entrance to the park. Down side is if you don't wanna pay you have to go back down it as they will make you pay on your way out.

If you have the clearance your probably good to go either to or from, just bring a spotter! I couldn't have done it alone in my vehicle.

as described nice mellow trail. 95% can be done 2WD but 5% requires 4WD and sufficient clearance. It was ok with our stock f150 and the help of a few rocks. Drove from Joshua tree down to Dillon rd and we were really happy because the scenery is so bad out of Dillon rd we would have probably turn around before hitting the trail.

off road driving

We took the road from Joshua Tree to Dillon Rd via Geology Tour Rd (on our way to Desert Palm Springs).

A note, Entering Joshua Tree National Park pass was $20, paid at the park entrance (further details: https://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/fees.htm)

The ride had lots of great scenery, would very much recommend. It was an nice mellow ride, so those new to off-roading (like us) should feel comfortable, as long as your vehicle has sufficient clearance, as one or two sections would likely be impassable without. For reference, our Jeep Rubicon was totally unfazed by the adventure, but the two of us had a great time and would absolutely ride again.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

IMPORTANT: Traveled this trail many many times. If you do not have 4 wheel drive make sure someone that does knows you're going or is going with you.

HIGH clearance is required right before the end of the off road section of the trail as you enter Joshua Tree. There is a section and depending on the condition you will NOT be able to pass without clearance. The boulders can be significant enough that if you are not jacked pretty good or don't have skid plates it's damage waiting to happen.

Just thought I'd write this as some of the reviews indicate they've not finished the trail and I assure you it is as I say at the end if coming from the low desert. At least it was as of about 6 months prior to this posting.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Be prepared for target practice activities.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Super fun trail! Took this road into Joshua tree from Indio. Would recommend 4x4 but saw many 2 wheel drive Tacomas. Great family outing !

Monday, February 09, 2015

We took this road from Indio into Joshua tree. It was about 15 miles to gte intersection of geology tour rd. Another 5-6 miles to pavement. It was fun and rewarding. I would suggest high clearance 4x4. Great vistas from the top of the pass and some neat close quarters canyons.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

This trail was ok the end of it was pretty shaky with the washboard roads leading to 29 palms

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Fun, easy road. Did not drive the whole trail. Went about half way then i decided to pull over and play with my Mossberg. Trails offers plenty of spots to do stuff like that. Can get busy on the weekends.

Saturday, September 24, 2011