Berdoo Canyon Road Drive

Berdoo Canyon Road Drive is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Indio, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, scenic driving, and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

Entering Joshua Tree National Park requires a pass ($20), which is to be paid at the park entrance.

off road driving

Great trail into Joshua Tree! We took Berdoo Canyon to Geology Tour Trail. Great scenic drive with lots of boulders and later on, lots of Joshua Tree’s. Canyon trail can get technical in parts and one has to maneuver around boulders. The wrangler sport did just fine. Stock everything. High clearance needed.

off road driving

Nice little adventure, we drove from Dillion Road up Berdoo Canyon in a stock 2018 Infiniti QX60 (rental car.) Granted, it would have been a piece of cake in anything with just an inch or two more clearance, but we (and the Infiniti) made it through without a scratch. Highly recommend this road into the park with scenery and few other people.

off road driving

pretty moderate as others have said there are only a few areas that need a spotter. there are plenty of bypasses for "difficult" sections. a lift and A/T tires are necessary. great views not busy at all. definitely coming back here

off road driving

Excellent off-road with a few good obstacles. If your driving at night though you might want to consider some extra lights though.

This is NOT a hiking trail. We drove half way up and found at least ten groups of folks taking target practice off the side of the road. The trail was supposed to go right by there. Death? No thanks.

off road driving

Coming from Dillon, you’ll cross into the canyon where people love to shoot in that area.
Be careful you are fully out of that Canyon and past the gate before you stop.... just in case of bullets ricocheting down the canyon walls.
Beautiful easy trail with 3 to 4 little spots of rocks/ruts, and an occasional sandy hill to climb! Once you reach the rounded rocks, be careful of bees ( depending on time of year). Nice easy road after rocks.
Once road splits, go left to come out in Joshua Tree National Park. Will most likely pay fee coming out that side.
Beginners- this is a great trail for you!

off road driving

Entered from Geology Trail and tried to time it to get through the worst section before dark. 144" Sprinter 4WD with tires had a little section where I needed to get out and take a peek at the terrain, but nothing extremely difficult. I would not have done this trail with stock tires and am glad we made it through the top tougher section (~1.5-2miles below the summit of the trail) before dark. This was not a section the lights would have helped much on :-) There are two sections of this trail coming from N to S that required some careful driving, both on the southern portion of the trail toward I-10.
Fun trail, if you go from N to S you will be heading downhill on some steps and BE VERY CAREFUL AT THE BOTTOM. When you get to the bottom the gravel/paved sections start and are just long enough to get some confidence that they will continue...and then you hit a 14-16" cave in of the paved roadway to sharp stone/rock. The only reason I wrote this review was to warn people of this feature, as I think it could cause some major issues if taken above a few MPH.
I don't know if I would have went past the top section in a 170 wheelbase.

Did this trail a couple weeks ago, it was a blast. We took our 93 zj, no problems at all even went up some of the mesas. started on Dillon road and drove through Joasha tree national park.

off road driving

Took Berdoo Canyon Road from the turn off at Joshua Tree Geology Trail down to Dillon Road. Great ride - amazing cliffs/rocks, and saw a herd of 5 or so bighorns scrambling up a sheer rock wall to get away. I have a 2001 Land Cruiser with 1.5" lift and skid plates. The lift helped, didn't scrape at all, sides or bottom, but several close calls. There are maybe 3 rock steps, 12-18" or so, and several tight squeezes between boulders. Further on towards the Dillon end, there's a partially paved road alongside the trail - but beware! In at least one spot the pavement suddenly ends with a 12" dropoff.

off road driving

Made it all the way up Berdoo Canyon Road to Geology Tour Road in a 2014 Ford Escape AWD ecoboost. Had a few spots where it was real close on clearance but we made it through. Definitely recommend 4WD or AWD.

off road driving

the road is basically gone due to wash outs, to drive up you will be following paths that others have laid down to get around multiple problem areas on the actual road bed. Slow going and rough.

Monday, May 22, 2017

the trail itself is fun, great way to get into joshue tree.. challenging in 2 spots.. view on berdoo is ok, but geology tour road is prettier, which is what berdoo dumps you out onto. the bad thing is all the gun nuts at the start of the trail. other review lead me to believe there was something like a shooting range off the road a bit ... no there are people stopped on the side of the trail every 100 yards for the first 30-45 minutes of the trail... you will drive with in 50 feet of random people you don't know it trust holding and firing assualt rifles and hand guns... my wife and children were traumatized.. I don't hate guns, but I choose carefully the people I am around when handling them.. and I was uncomfortable.. enjoyed it, but guns ruined it for us... will not due it again for that reason.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

What a fantastic trail! Relatively easy even in my stock 4runner, except for one rocky hill which required some careful maneuvering to get through. We approached from Geology Tour Road. However, I would strongly recommend entering the canyon from the south instead. South of the canyon is a BLM area where a lot of people go to shoot so it's a little unpleasant to finish the lovely drive in an area littered with shotgun shells and loud gunfire - better to pass through that at the beginning and then finish the trail with a scenic entrance into the park.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

When the weather is good this trail is great fun for the family. Start in the lower desert and go all the way to Joshua Tree and watch the temperature drop.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

The back door to Joshua Tree NP. I have a Senior Pass, saves me from the ride to either entrance. Couple spots are pretty rough !!

Sunday, January 15, 2017

This road is a lot of fun, I made it up in my Renegade Trailhawk today.. conditions currently are pretty good!

There's some difficult sections for average clearance vehicles like mine, I'm not lifted, just stock height.There's one part with a steep incline over huge rocks somewhere after the sign for Joshua Tree (which is no longer there, probably stolen or shot down) that was pretty intense and definitely ambitious for me to get up. There was an option to go around it if you stayed to the right trail. Made it though! Bigger Jeeps would love this section I'm sure.

The two big challenges at the start (from Dillon) and at the end (closer to Joshua Tree) required a spotter but are doable with 4x4 even at my vehicles height. The one closest to the entrance of Joshua Tree was definitely the hardest and I had a tire up in the air on a part of it.

Once in the park there were stretches of water on the Geology tour road that were fun to splash around in. Also this is the only free entrance to the park. Down side is if you don't wanna pay you have to go back down it as they will make you pay on your way out.

If you have the clearance your probably good to go either to or from, just bring a spotter! I couldn't have done it alone in my vehicle.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

as described nice mellow trail. 95% can be done 2WD but 5% requires 4WD and sufficient clearance. It was ok with our stock f150 and the help of a few rocks. Drove from Joshua tree down to Dillon rd and we were really happy because the scenery is so bad out of Dillon rd we would have probably turn around before hitting the trail.

Friday, July 08, 2016

We took the road from Joshua Tree to Dillon Rd via Geology Tour Rd (on our way to Desert Palm Springs).

A note, Entering Joshua Tree National Park pass was $20, paid at the park entrance (further details: https://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/fees.htm)

The ride had lots of great scenery, would very much recommend. It was an nice mellow ride, so those new to off-roading (like us) should feel comfortable, as long as your vehicle has sufficient clearance, as one or two sections would likely be impassable without. For reference, our Jeep Rubicon was totally unfazed by the adventure, but the two of us had a great time and would absolutely ride again.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

IMPORTANT: Traveled this trail many many times. If you do not have 4 wheel drive make sure someone that does knows you're going or is going with you.

HIGH clearance is required right before the end of the off road section of the trail as you enter Joshua Tree. There is a section and depending on the condition you will NOT be able to pass without clearance. The boulders can be significant enough that if you are not jacked pretty good or don't have skid plates it's damage waiting to happen.

Just thought I'd write this as some of the reviews indicate they've not finished the trail and I assure you it is as I say at the end if coming from the low desert. At least it was as of about 6 months prior to this posting.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Be prepared for target practice activities.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Super fun trail! Took this road into Joshua tree from Indio. Would recommend 4x4 but saw many 2 wheel drive Tacomas. Great family outing !

Monday, February 09, 2015

We took this road from Indio into Joshua tree. It was about 15 miles to gte intersection of geology tour rd. Another 5-6 miles to pavement. It was fun and rewarding. I would suggest high clearance 4x4. Great vistas from the top of the pass and some neat close quarters canyons.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

This trail was ok the end of it was pretty shaky with the washboard roads leading to 29 palms

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Fun, easy road. Did not drive the whole trail. Went about half way then i decided to pull over and play with my Mossberg. Trails offers plenty of spots to do stuff like that. Can get busy on the weekends.

Sunday, April 24, 2016