Ben Overturff Trail

Ben Overturff Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Monrovia, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

partially paved

Beautiful park in Monrovia. I did this hike on a Sunday morning, by 8am all parking spots were full so come early. Cost 6$ weekend 5$ weekdays. For this hike you have to walk up the paved road for quite a ways, then it branches off to Boy Scouts camp and dirt road. You follow the dirt road up for quite a ways till you finally get to the trail head. The hike is mostly up hill then brings you back down about the halfway point. Very beautiful hike and lightly trafficked.

Amazing never ending hike. I started at 1. If I would of started earlier I would of kept going.

This is a exhilarating hike!
Park in the ranger station parking lot and grab a fee envelope from the entrance stand directly across from the station... place your $ inside and begin your adventure. Follow the asphalt road about 0.20 mi. and take Trail Scout Reservation for the Ben Overturff Trail to your right. After about one mile of dirt road you will arrive at the trailhead (on your left).
Over the next 2 miles will gain 1000 ft. elevation using switchbacks and short bridges as you experience tree covered meadows and gently rolling streams of the canyon... and I paused often to enjoy the morning breeze of this glorious outdoor exploit.
Up next you will see a Deer Park Cabin/Restroom sign. If you choose the Deer Park Cabin option, (after about 100 yds.) you can learn a little bit about Ben Overturff. If you choose the Restroom option, this will lead you over to the Monrovia Canyon Truck Trail, reconnect with the original asphalt road, and guide you back down to the ranger station. All in all, a great day. Happy hiking!

I loved this hike! You park at the sheriffs station before the kiosk and you pay for parking by getting an envelope at the kiosk and paying $6 on weekends and $5 on weekdays. Hike up the paved way and one the left side you start the trail up toward the Trusk Boy scout camp. Stay to the right of the trail all the way up! It’s a loop either way. There is a small Short cut and it continues through the loop. There is a water source for the dogs and this is a very dog friendly trail. Please keep your dogs on a leash! The trail is 70% covered And has a great incline! The trail gets fairly small coming back down you may need poles. Very beautiful hike that teaches you history about the area.

Saw two adolescent brown bear cubs wrestling at the top! Then they noticed us and got their mom. We didn’t think it was a good idea to stick around for a group pic.

Nicely shaded and a great workout. Not heavily populated

Great moderate hike! Not too crowded. The way up was a little steep at times, but felt like a great way to be apart of nature. We took the dirt road back down which was a nice easy way to end the hike.

11/23/18 Great hike! The ascent going up is a great cardio workout! Entire loop took roughly 2.25 hours. The entrance into the trail is a bit away from the park entrance. After you walk by the ranger station you’ll see a bear shaped sign that reads “Trask Scout Reservation”. Follow that sign to the right. The road is closed off but that’s the direction you’ll need to go. Follow the paved road a fair distance. It will wind up the side of the mountain. At the end of the paved road head right onto a dirt road for a short walk. Eventually you’ll see the trail head on your left. About half way through near the bathroom sign, we saw a black bear. It was more afraid of us than we were of it. But it sure did get my heart pumping. Per previous posts we had purchased bear spray for the hike. Glad we did! Weather was perfect. Bring plenty of water! Enjoy the hike.

Fun trip, until I encountered a big brown bear blocking the road when I was getting back. it was getting dark and had to wait until it went away. The bear was not scared of me or all the noise I was making.

Great hike route. Moderate-Hike, with my long time buddy Paul. Nice trail, streams, great place to lunch. Recommended.

this is a pretty tough hike. plenty of shade. we didn't see more than 5 people and bring plenty of water

I enjoyed this hike really nice view.

Good hike. Lots of shades. Easy parking in the neighborhood. Parking Lots is small.

Visited on a Sunday in March after a week of rain. Gorgeous. There are multiple points along the hike where you cross or near a stream. Enjoy the journey because the lodge at the top is nothing to look at. Literally, there’s nothing there, just the concrete foundation and some rusted parts of an old gate.

Coming back down you’d either have to go back the way you came or take the fire road. For a fire road it was pretty and engaging enough. Nicely empty hike with few people considering weather and a weekend. Most go to the falls, much shorter and more crowded hike.

Saturday, February 03, 2018

Maybe more of a 3.5 than 4 stars.

Location- I like that it isn't too far to get to (at least for me)...conveniently located near the 210 & 605 fwys

Parking- $6 fee; rangers don't open the gate until 7 am on weekends but you can park down in the residential area for free and walk a little less than a mile to access the trail and start it earlier *btw this is the same entrance you use to do the Monrovia falls hike

We parked near the Trask Scout Reservation sign (see attached pic) and there is a paved road with a sign that says authorized vehicles only...we took that steep road up and passed the dam and got to the trailhead about a mile later. You can pick either of two trails at this point (see attached pic). The one to the left which we took has little stone columns to pass through and is a narrow somewhat steep trail that you stay on for about 2 miles until you reach an area with other trails connecting and we opted to go right and it had an arrow with the word bathroom and that led us back down to complete the loop on the wider fire access type of road so we did the loop clockwise and it took us back down to the trailhead (I used the All Trails app). You then take the same road down past the dam to the parking lot

Distance- 6.7 miles RT
Elevation gain- about 1,600 ft
Duration- between 2-4 hrs
Difficulty- moderate

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Its a very nice hike and if youre lucky you get to see some deer. Theres free parking 2 miles away from the entrance. But the parking fee is like 6$ i believe. Its a nice trail you keep going up the mountain its a narrow pathway going up. Theres good shady spots and the waterfall is a little small but the views are beautiful.

Saturday, January 06, 2018

Great shade throughout the hike and a good workout with the amount of uphill climb there is. From the lower parking area (which also has a clean bathroom by the way!) it takes about 2 hours uphill and 1 hour to come down.

Friday, January 05, 2018

Such a great trail! Loved it - was worried about bears the whole time but we did not spot one. Definitely Yoga & foam rolling to help with soreness - the incline got the best of me.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Foresty hike. Way better than most other trails in the area, which are usually no shade and too hot in the summer. Cons is that the bugs like the shade too - lots of flies everywhere we stopped in the shade. Nice view on the trail at the side of the mountain. Beautiful blue damselflies near the nice stream with the little bridge. This hike has all kinds of landscapes - forest, mountain, rocky wall, desert. Great trail.

Monday, July 10, 2017

didn't get to hike this trail because the gate was locked and park closed due to "extreme heat". it was around 100. we contemplated parking outside and jumping the gate to do the hike anyway, but decided to go somewhere else and avoid potential drama. it also says that the park closes at 5p. not sure if this is actually enforced, but maybe not a great spot for afternoon hikers like me, who like to finish around sunset.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

We parked at nearest lot just north of fork to go towards scout camp. The paved road to the trail head is a hike itself and was recorded at about 1.5 miles. We went through the stone pillars to start the trail head, down to twin springs then up to Deer Park Cabin. This part was confusing as the trail just dead ends past the mule corral..so we backtracked then couldn't decide if we head towards the sign that said restrooms or go back down to the twin springs...we went back down to twin springs and took the lower trail which luckily led to a fire road and we were back on track per the map from the app. Turns out, we probably were supposed to take the trail towards restrooms. I wish the signs had more info like distance, how to get to road, etc. Round trip from car was 8 miles! It was brutal compared to other trails in the area like Monrovia Falls, Eaton Canyon, Sturtavent Falls. Almost felt like climbing would never end. It was cool to see the history of my town but it wasn't as pretty as previously mentioned trails. It gets an A+ for lightly trafficked..it was nice to not be bothered with other hikers. It's a Sunday and saw maybe 10 people total.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Pretty decent trail to hike. Had to walk a mile on the road pavement to get to the start of the trail; at the beginning you can either start at the right going in between the pile of rocks or go to the left behind the gate; either way you'll end up when you started. Parking was $5 at the lower lot but no one was at the parking gate to collect payment, so I parked for free. It was nice to hike this but I have definitely hiked better trials!

Friday, March 31, 2017

I took the day to take a hike, yay! To the trailhead is a good workout on its own. At the trail head you can choose to take a fire road upward or the trail downward. The trail had been recently maintained (hats off to the volunteers, you did a terrific job) so that was nice. This happened to be my second attempt to Deer Park; the first time I took the fire road just to Twin Springs. The Ben Overturff is a great challenge with plenty of switchbacks and steady elevation, but also plenty of shade and scenery. Plaques along the way share some history of the canyon which I found really interesting. Twin Springs is a nice resting place and the water sings a nice song to passers-by. The cabin remnants were a neat ending to the trail. Overall, a great day, but next time I don't think I will do it solo.

Friday, March 24, 2017

You park near the Nature trail, walk south to the road junction after the gate and Bill Cull Trail, walk all the way up that road, branch to the right so you don't head into the campgrounds, and then finally find the start of the path. We kept going and going up that path thinking we'd missed the entrance somewhere -- there are no signs until you reach the trailhead, which is marked by two pillars of rocks. Walking up the road to the start point on this map adds an extra mile both ways. If you find the trail, it's a beautiful hike! Someone told us the rains had caused problems on the trail, but up to Twin Falls (as far as we went) the trail was in perfect shape.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Good trail for summer! Plenty of shade pretty much the whole way, and the Twin Springs area is a great spot to refill your water bottle so you don't have to carry up as much (FYI - some drink straight from the spring, I always use a filter). Only complaint is parking. Since it's run by the city, your national forest pass won't work, so you gotta pay $6 or park outside the gate and hike an extra mile or so...

Monday, December 05, 2016

The scenery on this trail is beautiful and varied. It's hard to believe how secluded it is, considering how close it is to the city (I hiked on a Sunday afternoon and didn't see a single person on the trail).

The mileage on this page (currently listed as 4.2) is inaccurate, though, as you have to walk up a steep paved and dirt road for about a mile until you reach the trailhead. John Robinson's "Trails of the Angeles" book takes the road into consideration and lists the total mileage as 6.5 (4.2 on trail + 2.3 on the road).

Note: There were a couple of large downed trees on the trail before the summit, but folks have beaten a path around them, so they didn't slow us down.

Monday, October 03, 2016

One of my favorite hikes, but we continue on to White Saddle, on the fire road, which makes it a 10 mile hike total. We have seen a few bears on our hikes here. Once you get to white saddle it is a nice view of the other side of the San Gabriel mountains.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Great hike with beautify views

Sunday, February 28, 2016

A short hike but I love the trees and rocks while hiking towards the waterfall. The waterfall isn't as breath taking as ones I have seen before but the journey to it was amazing. Very peaceful.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

It was peaceful. Good elevation.I had a wonderful time. It is good for people who want short hikes. There was a little waterfall at the end. Hardly any water though. Lol