Ben Overturff Trail

Ben Overturff Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Monrovia, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

this is a pretty tough hike. plenty of shade. we didn't see more than 5 people and bring plenty of water

I enjoyed this hike really nice view.

Good hike. Lots of shades. Easy parking in the neighborhood. Parking Lots is small.

Visited on a Sunday in March after a week of rain. Gorgeous. There are multiple points along the hike where you cross or near a stream. Enjoy the journey because the lodge at the top is nothing to look at. Literally, there’s nothing there, just the concrete foundation and some rusted parts of an old gate.

Coming back down you’d either have to go back the way you came or take the fire road. For a fire road it was pretty and engaging enough. Nicely empty hike with few people considering weather and a weekend. Most go to the falls, much shorter and more crowded hike.

Maybe more of a 3.5 than 4 stars.

Location- I like that it isn't too far to get to (at least for me)...conveniently located near the 210 & 605 fwys

Parking- $6 fee; rangers don't open the gate until 7 am on weekends but you can park down in the residential area for free and walk a little less than a mile to access the trail and start it earlier *btw this is the same entrance you use to do the Monrovia falls hike

We parked near the Trask Scout Reservation sign (see attached pic) and there is a paved road with a sign that says authorized vehicles only...we took that steep road up and passed the dam and got to the trailhead about a mile later. You can pick either of two trails at this point (see attached pic). The one to the left which we took has little stone columns to pass through and is a narrow somewhat steep trail that you stay on for about 2 miles until you reach an area with other trails connecting and we opted to go right and it had an arrow with the word bathroom and that led us back down to complete the loop on the wider fire access type of road so we did the loop clockwise and it took us back down to the trailhead (I used the All Trails app). You then take the same road down past the dam to the parking lot

Distance- 6.7 miles RT
Elevation gain- about 1,600 ft
Duration- between 2-4 hrs
Difficulty- moderate

Its a very nice hike and if youre lucky you get to see some deer. Theres free parking 2 miles away from the entrance. But the parking fee is like 6$ i believe. Its a nice trail you keep going up the mountain its a narrow pathway going up. Theres good shady spots and the waterfall is a little small but the views are beautiful.

Great shade throughout the hike and a good workout with the amount of uphill climb there is. From the lower parking area (which also has a clean bathroom by the way!) it takes about 2 hours uphill and 1 hour to come down.

Such a great trail! Loved it - was worried about bears the whole time but we did not spot one. Definitely Yoga & foam rolling to help with soreness - the incline got the best of me.

Foresty hike. Way better than most other trails in the area, which are usually no shade and too hot in the summer. Cons is that the bugs like the shade too - lots of flies everywhere we stopped in the shade. Nice view on the trail at the side of the mountain. Beautiful blue damselflies near the nice stream with the little bridge. This hike has all kinds of landscapes - forest, mountain, rocky wall, desert. Great trail.

Monday, July 10, 2017

didn't get to hike this trail because the gate was locked and park closed due to "extreme heat". it was around 100. we contemplated parking outside and jumping the gate to do the hike anyway, but decided to go somewhere else and avoid potential drama. it also says that the park closes at 5p. not sure if this is actually enforced, but maybe not a great spot for afternoon hikers like me, who like to finish around sunset.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

We parked at nearest lot just north of fork to go towards scout camp. The paved road to the trail head is a hike itself and was recorded at about 1.5 miles. We went through the stone pillars to start the trail head, down to twin springs then up to Deer Park Cabin. This part was confusing as the trail just dead ends past the mule corral..so we backtracked then couldn't decide if we head towards the sign that said restrooms or go back down to the twin springs...we went back down to twin springs and took the lower trail which luckily led to a fire road and we were back on track per the map from the app. Turns out, we probably were supposed to take the trail towards restrooms. I wish the signs had more info like distance, how to get to road, etc. Round trip from car was 8 miles! It was brutal compared to other trails in the area like Monrovia Falls, Eaton Canyon, Sturtavent Falls. Almost felt like climbing would never end. It was cool to see the history of my town but it wasn't as pretty as previously mentioned trails. It gets an A+ for lightly trafficked..it was nice to not be bothered with other hikers. It's a Sunday and saw maybe 10 people total.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Pretty decent trail to hike. Had to walk a mile on the road pavement to get to the start of the trail; at the beginning you can either start at the right going in between the pile of rocks or go to the left behind the gate; either way you'll end up when you started. Parking was $5 at the lower lot but no one was at the parking gate to collect payment, so I parked for free. It was nice to hike this but I have definitely hiked better trials!

Friday, March 31, 2017

I took the day to take a hike, yay! To the trailhead is a good workout on its own. At the trail head you can choose to take a fire road upward or the trail downward. The trail had been recently maintained (hats off to the volunteers, you did a terrific job) so that was nice. This happened to be my second attempt to Deer Park; the first time I took the fire road just to Twin Springs. The Ben Overturff is a great challenge with plenty of switchbacks and steady elevation, but also plenty of shade and scenery. Plaques along the way share some history of the canyon which I found really interesting. Twin Springs is a nice resting place and the water sings a nice song to passers-by. The cabin remnants were a neat ending to the trail. Overall, a great day, but next time I don't think I will do it solo.

Friday, March 24, 2017

You park near the Nature trail, walk south to the road junction after the gate and Bill Cull Trail, walk all the way up that road, branch to the right so you don't head into the campgrounds, and then finally find the start of the path. We kept going and going up that path thinking we'd missed the entrance somewhere -- there are no signs until you reach the trailhead, which is marked by two pillars of rocks. Walking up the road to the start point on this map adds an extra mile both ways. If you find the trail, it's a beautiful hike! Someone told us the rains had caused problems on the trail, but up to Twin Falls (as far as we went) the trail was in perfect shape.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Good trail for summer! Plenty of shade pretty much the whole way, and the Twin Springs area is a great spot to refill your water bottle so you don't have to carry up as much (FYI - some drink straight from the spring, I always use a filter). Only complaint is parking. Since it's run by the city, your national forest pass won't work, so you gotta pay $6 or park outside the gate and hike an extra mile or so...

Monday, December 05, 2016

The scenery on this trail is beautiful and varied. It's hard to believe how secluded it is, considering how close it is to the city (I hiked on a Sunday afternoon and didn't see a single person on the trail).

The mileage on this page (currently listed as 4.2) is inaccurate, though, as you have to walk up a steep paved and dirt road for about a mile until you reach the trailhead. John Robinson's "Trails of the Angeles" book takes the road into consideration and lists the total mileage as 6.5 (4.2 on trail + 2.3 on the road).

Note: There were a couple of large downed trees on the trail before the summit, but folks have beaten a path around them, so they didn't slow us down.

Monday, October 03, 2016

One of my favorite hikes, but we continue on to White Saddle, on the fire road, which makes it a 10 mile hike total. We have seen a few bears on our hikes here. Once you get to white saddle it is a nice view of the other side of the San Gabriel mountains.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Great hike with beautify views

Sunday, February 28, 2016

A short hike but I love the trees and rocks while hiking towards the waterfall. The waterfall isn't as breath taking as ones I have seen before but the journey to it was amazing. Very peaceful.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

It was peaceful. Good elevation.I had a wonderful time. It is good for people who want short hikes. There was a little waterfall at the end. Hardly any water though. Lol

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Pretty challenging trail. Beautiful scenery made to Twin Springs and then encountered a bear...always hike with a partner.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Always a great hike! Today was cool and felt the mist of the fog.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Hiked about 4 hours and loved it! Trail is a challenge which I didn't mind because I'm looking to shed a few pounds. Came across a bear and it's cub so that was a big bonus for me! Will definitely do again.

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Fall 2003 -- I took this to Deer Park ruins. The trail feels creepy, like someone's watching, probably a cat. There's also some cool history involved such as the rusty water pipes that used to carry water to the city. The road is steep but the foot trail is nice. It's a lot of scrub at first but if memory serves me there's a little saddle that leads to nice canyon greenery. That's my kind of hike...scrub and forest, variety.

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Perhaps one of the best short hikes I have been on as of yet in the San Gabriel Mountains. Park in the neighborhood and you don't have to pay the $5 parking fee. Also the park is closed to cars on Tuesdays but you can still hike in all you want. I recommend taking the trial that branches off the fire road just past the boyscout camp this is where the trial really becomes beautiful. bring the bug spray and keep your eyes open we saw a Bobcat watching us from the trees at Twin springs and are sure there was something watching us when we had lunch at Dear park lodge. A Beautiful way to spend a day.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Definitely a fun trail! We took the trail to deer park lodge and then the fire road all the way down. A little buggy on the trail, but not too bad. Also not busy at all for a Saturday afternoon. If you park in the residential area and walk up it's about ~8mi round trip and you don't have to pay $5.

Thursday, March 06, 2014

Good trail. I did more than the 7 miles because on of the hikers in our group lost her jacket so I offered to go back and find it. I did 9 miles overall. Really enjoyed the trail. Take the fire road up and the trail down for an easier run. Do the trail both ways for a crunch.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

great trail. exciting adventurous. fun

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I think this is a great 7 mile loop to work on our mind, body, and spirit. It was difficult for me since the 7 miles is all uphill, but the kids loved it. It was a challenge.
Take plenty of food and water. It took us 5 hours to complete.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Great location. Don't see that many people usually see others on the road part before you get to the trail. Did see a bear once on the fire road on the way out.