Ben Overturff Trail

Ben Overturff Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Monrovia, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I took the day to take a hike, yay! To the trailhead is a good workout on its own. At the trail head you can choose to take a fire road upward or the trail downward. The trail had been recently maintained (hats off to the volunteers, you did a terrific job) so that was nice. This happened to be my second attempt to Deer Park; the first time I took the fire road just to Twin Springs. The Ben Overturff is a great challenge with plenty of switchbacks and steady elevation, but also plenty of shade and scenery. Plaques along the way share some history of the canyon which I found really interesting. Twin Springs is a nice resting place and the water sings a nice song to passers-by. The cabin remnants were a neat ending to the trail. Overall, a great day, but next time I don't think I will do it solo.

You park near the Nature trail, walk south to the road junction after the gate and Bill Cull Trail, walk all the way up that road, branch to the right so you don't head into the campgrounds, and then finally find the start of the path. We kept going and going up that path thinking we'd missed the entrance somewhere -- there are no signs until you reach the trailhead, which is marked by two pillars of rocks. Walking up the road to the start point on this map adds an extra mile both ways. If you find the trail, it's a beautiful hike! Someone told us the rains had caused problems on the trail, but up to Twin Falls (as far as we went) the trail was in perfect shape.

Good trail for summer! Plenty of shade pretty much the whole way, and the Twin Springs area is a great spot to refill your water bottle so you don't have to carry up as much (FYI - some drink straight from the spring, I always use a filter). Only complaint is parking. Since it's run by the city, your national forest pass won't work, so you gotta pay $6 or park outside the gate and hike an extra mile or so...

The scenery on this trail is beautiful and varied. It's hard to believe how secluded it is, considering how close it is to the city (I hiked on a Sunday afternoon and didn't see a single person on the trail).

The mileage on this page (currently listed as 4.2) is inaccurate, though, as you have to walk up a steep paved and dirt road for about a mile until you reach the trailhead. John Robinson's "Trails of the Angeles" book takes the road into consideration and lists the total mileage as 6.5 (4.2 on trail + 2.3 on the road).

Note: There were a couple of large downed trees on the trail before the summit, but folks have beaten a path around them, so they didn't slow us down.

One of my favorite hikes, but we continue on to White Saddle, on the fire road, which makes it a 10 mile hike total. We have seen a few bears on our hikes here. Once you get to white saddle it is a nice view of the other side of the San Gabriel mountains.

Great hike with beautify views

Sunday, April 24, 2016