Ben Overturff Trail

Ben Overturff Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Monrovia, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Foresty hike. Way better than most other trails in the area, which are usually no shade and too hot in the summer. Cons is that the bugs like the shade too - lots of flies everywhere we stopped in the shade. Nice view on the trail at the side of the mountain. Beautiful blue damselflies near the nice stream with the little bridge. This hike has all kinds of landscapes - forest, mountain, rocky wall, desert. Great trail.

didn't get to hike this trail because the gate was locked and park closed due to "extreme heat". it was around 100. we contemplated parking outside and jumping the gate to do the hike anyway, but decided to go somewhere else and avoid potential drama. it also says that the park closes at 5p. not sure if this is actually enforced, but maybe not a great spot for afternoon hikers like me, who like to finish around sunset.

We parked at nearest lot just north of fork to go towards scout camp. The paved road to the trail head is a hike itself and was recorded at about 1.5 miles. We went through the stone pillars to start the trail head, down to twin springs then up to Deer Park Cabin. This part was confusing as the trail just dead ends past the mule corral..so we backtracked then couldn't decide if we head towards the sign that said restrooms or go back down to the twin springs...we went back down to twin springs and took the lower trail which luckily led to a fire road and we were back on track per the map from the app. Turns out, we probably were supposed to take the trail towards restrooms. I wish the signs had more info like distance, how to get to road, etc. Round trip from car was 8 miles! It was brutal compared to other trails in the area like Monrovia Falls, Eaton Canyon, Sturtavent Falls. Almost felt like climbing would never end. It was cool to see the history of my town but it wasn't as pretty as previously mentioned trails. It gets an A+ for lightly trafficked..it was nice to not be bothered with other hikers. It's a Sunday and saw maybe 10 people total.

Pretty decent trail to hike. Had to walk a mile on the road pavement to get to the start of the trail; at the beginning you can either start at the right going in between the pile of rocks or go to the left behind the gate; either way you'll end up when you started. Parking was $5 at the lower lot but no one was at the parking gate to collect payment, so I parked for free. It was nice to hike this but I have definitely hiked better trials!

I took the day to take a hike, yay! To the trailhead is a good workout on its own. At the trail head you can choose to take a fire road upward or the trail downward. The trail had been recently maintained (hats off to the volunteers, you did a terrific job) so that was nice. This happened to be my second attempt to Deer Park; the first time I took the fire road just to Twin Springs. The Ben Overturff is a great challenge with plenty of switchbacks and steady elevation, but also plenty of shade and scenery. Plaques along the way share some history of the canyon which I found really interesting. Twin Springs is a nice resting place and the water sings a nice song to passers-by. The cabin remnants were a neat ending to the trail. Overall, a great day, but next time I don't think I will do it solo.

You park near the Nature trail, walk south to the road junction after the gate and Bill Cull Trail, walk all the way up that road, branch to the right so you don't head into the campgrounds, and then finally find the start of the path. We kept going and going up that path thinking we'd missed the entrance somewhere -- there are no signs until you reach the trailhead, which is marked by two pillars of rocks. Walking up the road to the start point on this map adds an extra mile both ways. If you find the trail, it's a beautiful hike! Someone told us the rains had caused problems on the trail, but up to Twin Falls (as far as we went) the trail was in perfect shape.

Good trail for summer! Plenty of shade pretty much the whole way, and the Twin Springs area is a great spot to refill your water bottle so you don't have to carry up as much (FYI - some drink straight from the spring, I always use a filter). Only complaint is parking. Since it's run by the city, your national forest pass won't work, so you gotta pay $6 or park outside the gate and hike an extra mile or so...