Learn more

Ben Overturff Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(237)
Monrovia Canyon Park

Ben Overturff Trail is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Monrovia, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,624 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

fee

NOTE: All park visitors must have a reservation to access the trails in Canyon Park. Access to waterfall trail is closed. Parking Fee: $5 on weekdays, $6 on weekends

During COVID: Reservations needed through the online website prior, no charge, but parking is charged once inside the gate. Lots of bugs on the trail this morning but the incline is still a good workout and the service road on the latter half was a nice cool down. I’ve always liked hiking this trail and that hasn’t changed!

This trail made me feel like Indiana Jones. There was a patch about 2 miles in where spiders had taken over the trail with their webs. By the time I got through I was covered in them! There were also some persistent gnats that followed us through the woods. Aside from that, this was a challenging trail with a lot of steep uphill at the beginning. Upon reaching the cabin ruins, it's a gentle wide downhill trail all the way back.

This is a great trail off the main trail road. I did it solo last Sunday afternoon. The weather was great and it’s a heavily shaded trail. I’d been on it once, a long time ago, but had only made it to the footbridge. This time I went about a mile after that, and was hoping to catch the road back, but it was getting late, I was alone, and had seen evidence of bear scat, so I scattered out of there. It’s a great trail, but I would not recommend it solo. My feet hurt cause I didn’t wear thick enough socks, so be sure to bring a friend and appropriate sock wear. Also I had cell service the whole time on the trail. I’ll be doing it again.

fee

Beautiful trail after the fire road. However, we ran into a rather large bear right on the trail who was completely brazen and even though my group was making noise wouldn’t leave the trail. One person passed us right after we turned around and when warned told us that it is common that people get charged on this trail and he then proceeded to pull out his bear mace.

fee

I’m giving this trail 3 stars for the simple fact that it is mostly on road including 1 mile each way on a paved road. The Ben Overturff trail only amounts to about 2 1/2 miles of this hike, but is an excellently built and maintained trail worthy of 5 stars. After rejoining the road after deer park I continued up to and beyond White saddle to Mt. Bliss. This peak is a small knob but the views from this peak are outstanding with views of the high country and the entire Los Angeles basin from Simi Valley to San Bernardino. I wandered a bit to the north before heading up to Mt. Bliss so the total round trip mileage should be about 13 miles to the summit and back. If only there was a nice trail from the visitor center to the BO and beyond I might be inclined to come back.

This was a great day hike! Not that far from the highways and never got above 2700’ (perfect for the winter when the snow line is low). It was also well shaded for most of it, so I’d recommend it also for a summer hike. 4 stars since there was never a spectacular view at the top, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

fee

A great hike that is lightly trafficked. There are some steep parts the first half of the hike (i.e. going uphill). Mostly shaded except for the way down when looping around onto the dirt road. Bug nets will be your friend at certain points, especially under shady groves by the streams. A challenging trail if you are out of shape (as I was), but definitely doable. ***Note: there is a parking fee. $5 weekdays, $6 weekend.***

Monrovia Canyon Park to White Saddle

Starts on the road but soon moves into the woods. Good shade for the first half of the loop. Lots of bay trees - and the smell of bay leaves! Sadly no view at the midpoint of the loop. We thought we’d reach a peak or something so that was a little underwhelming. We hit the trail clockwise. The second half was a gentle downslope on a dirt road. Great walk on the whole.

Mostly in the shades in the first half if you go clockwise and even the second half is not bad. Had to do extra 2.5 miles from parking to trail head. Beautiful streams. First half was a good mix of steep and flat trails. 70:30. Well maintained trail. Really liked being in the woods. Do not forget to take Insect repellent. Take plenty of water. Will do it again.

Absolutely wonderful time hiking this trail. Our 6 and 9 year old boys loved it, too; tons of shade, greenery, and great views. Peaceful and relaxing water stream at the end of it (With a pit toilet, too).

I advise to take the left path once you hit the fork. Go clockwise to appreciate the scenery on the way up. A good amount of shade with some nice scenery and a decent incline. Kind of disappointed because when we reached the highest point in the trail, there were no views at all- just trees. LOTS of bugs, I don't think we had even 5minutes without something buzzing around our face- definitely need some bug spray.

Hiked this twice at the end of July. Great trail with minimal amount of people and lots of shade. The hike is challenging but very beautiful every step of the way with lots of greenery and flowers. Has signs along trail with historical info. Be aware of bears!

Trail itself was great. I misjudged the start of the trail. it's probably a good 1.5 miles from parking before you get to the 4.4 loop. I stayed right and went counterclockwise. woof. that is a long incline with no breaks. pretty tough on the legs. after the halfway point, things were nice and shady. right before I linked back up, I did have a slight delay due to bear in the trail.

Great fun, good workout! Whew!

I did this as part of a good 15 mile day visiting the Cunningham overlook and the falls and went all the way up to White Saddle before turning around. This is truly a gem of a trail. I went in the afternoon and it was empty. It's a beautiful trail and the little informational signs all around are a fun treat to come across again and again. There are springs, there are meadows, plenty of wildlife, and it's a pretty good bit of exercise. Walking up the rest of the way to White Saddle is more of a drag because it's a truck trail and not a cute hiking trail through the canyon so eventually I just got bored with the sun beginning to set and turned around to catch the sunset at the dam.

Beautiful and challenging (if you make it that way! ) I ran about 3/4 of it. it was tough. Go clockwise. Loved it.

Great trail to get the heart pumping. I can see a significant difference in the bugs now that it's summer. So much so I might make this my Winter trail. This trail is so well kept tho, very manicured! Thank you!

Tue Jun 11 2019

Beautiful trail that’s in the woods for a good portion

Mon May 27 2019

Canyon park was packed (Memorial Day) but this route wasn’t crowded