Bell View Trail to Bell Peak

Bell View Trail to Bell Peak is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Trabuco Canyon, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,444 feet Route Type: Loop

The Bell View Trail meanders through Trabuco Canyon. There are several access points along the way and the trail can be continued further into Cleveland National Forest to reach Los Pinos Peak.

I am so glad I did this trail. As a few others mentioned, it is not clearly marked by signs, so you need to rely on the alltrails map. Got lost once or twice, but it wasn't terrible. Started from the lower trail head, which is about a quarter of a mile away from some street parking that you can come or go at anytime (Joshua drive). Took about 4.5 hours to complete including getting lost, steep inclines with mud (it rained yesterday). There are multiple amazing views along the trail, but you will be exhausted by the end. This was medium hard, not excruciating.

I really enjoyed this trail… We started off at Robinson Ranch at the parking lot hiked about 3.5 miles to the 2nd trail head off of Robinson Rd which was weird because elevation climbs and then drops you back down to ground level and then re-climbs to the peak! There are a couple confusing points that aren’t marked but follow your AllTrails...we did a clockwise loop which we thought was good because the decline was pretty steep. Some areas have loose gravel. Super windy at the flag but beautiful views. Felt pretty close to Santiago Peak.

Did this today (10/19/19). Started at the trailhead on Heritage Drive, it has sign no parking between 9pm-7am. So, you can’t start earlier than that. Great work-out, butt kicker, elevation gainer! Lots of sandy with loose rocks on the steep uphill/downhill. Do not relay on trail markers, they are confusing; use record and follows alltrails map. Around 2 miles in from the trailhead, there is a picnic table under a big tree, which makes it a nice place to take a break on the way back before hitting a steep uphill. Beautiful View at the top.

Steep! It's a great workout if you're looking for some good elevation gain. The lower parts are wide sandy roads, but the parts further up are on harder single track. Very exposed so prepare accordingly this time of year.

We’d recommend doing this hike sometime in the fall/winter/spring. It was too hot today! We didn’t quite make it to the top and walked back to the car through the neighborhood. There are some very steep sections too. Overall a cool area and some great scenery!

Pretty trail, but if hiking during the summer I suggest starting early. We got there at 6 to start, only saw a few people along the way when we were heading back. No shade so it got hot quickly. This trail is a lot of uphill with very little plateaus and some steep downhill on the way back. The initial few miles were a lot of uphill on very loose dirt.

So I started the recording well before the trail as I walked the entire way. So the length is more than the trail itself.. I doubt I’ll do that in the future. I loved it! The last mile or two were tough, steep and hard. But so rewarding once I reached the peak. Don’t forget that once you start heading back you still have to climb up some decent hills, so make sure to have enough water. If it’s hot you’ll need water.

Great hike with some steep stuff. But flowers and foliage were stunning. At peak an American flag and box to leave comments. No shade and parking is free.

Really awesome and and actually slightly challenging trail! Went on a really cloudy/foggy day so no view from the flagpole because we were up in the clouds. Trail markers were absolutely terrible and confusing. We wandered on different trails until we bumped into some people who had done it before and knew the way. I think whoever recorded this trail was also trying to figure out the route. Either way, there’s more than one way to get to the flagpole so make sure you look at the map beforehand and plan it out. Trail is slightly overgrown so wear long pants and be wary of rattlesnakes! Very beautiful right now and very green still!

Trail is a great workout. Great views for the duration of the hike, especially at the top. I stopped at the flagpole, clocked it at 1.8 miles to flag. Super hot day. Not much shade. Very overgrown with mustard. Full of bees. But if you walk through sideways and slowly, you can complete the trail. Will do again. Great ass/leg workout. All uphill with very little plateau or decline.

Good trail but involves residential street hiking for parts and doesn’t add up to 12 miles.

Beautiful Trail. Tons of bugs. Horrible trail guidance towards end of trail near Robinson rd. Either that or the trails have been overgrown.

One of my favorite trails! Well maintain, Super pretty and with a little challenge! I love having the option to continue hiking after the flag!

Beautiful!

Fri Feb 23 2018

1st mistake I parked at Meander Ln. and my 2nd mistake was I didn't wear my hiking shoes thinking this was going to be a super easy hike. This is a moderate hike suitable for dogs. I did it in the afternoon and there was nobody on the trails so my dog didn't use her leash and was so happy. The views are beautiful and you can see the ocean....this is a good workout (steep climb at times)

Wed Feb 07 2018

Great work out !

Thu Sep 28 2017

First time on the trail today. Beautiful views, great work out. Mostly uphill on way to flag pole and down, obviously on the way back to car. Great local trail. Will be back.

Thu Sep 21 2017

bed

Thu Feb 02 2017

One of my favorite hikes, I love going up to the flag pole in the morning before work. The view is awesome and there's sage growing everywhere. It's a little steep at times and because of the recent rain, it's a little rocky and parts of the trail get narrow, but it's not an issue if you are a regular hiker. Bring sunscreen if you burn easily and plenty of water, especially on hot days. Shade is limited.

Mon Nov 14 2016

Great hike with intermittent inclines giving us an overall great workout. Will definitely go again but on a cooler days as there is no shade and temps in high 80's today.