Bear Valley Trail To Coastal Trail

Bear Valley Trail To Coastal Trail is a 9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Point Reyes Station, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until July.

beach

cave

Bear Creek trail and Coastal trail combined. The trail is well marked and easily navigated. The trail is heavily used and has many alternative routes. It can be damp and muddy in the winter. Great for mountain biking. Relatively flat. Well marked trails with trail heads and milage on signs. Busy on the weekend. Light during the week. Pack a lunch and water.

I did a variation of this hike and made it a loop at the end by taking the coastal trail to the glen trail back to the center of bear valley trail. Gorgeous views and some points on the trail were quite picturesque, I recall an opening on the coastal trail towards the glen trail between thick overgrown sections that was beautiful. It had a small tree offering just enough shade for a break but surrounded by perfectly yellow tall dry grass. Recommend pants for these overgrown areas if you take the loop I'm describing. I wore shorts and regret it, no clear poison oak rashes yet but who knows. Enjoy!

Loved everything about this trail towards the beach!

Very enjoyable walk. Nice mix if Sun and shade. Plenty of parking in the main parking area, even on Memorial Day. A lot of hikes to choose from in this area, so there should be something for everyone. Of course picking one that has a goal of getting you to the shoreline such as this is definitely a nice goal to set!

Relatively flat trail that is largely in the shade and follows a creek for most of the way. Eventually opens up at the ocean to great views of the cliffs along the coast and rocks in the water. Headed out during Memorial Day weekend and was hiking by 8:30. Hardly anyone on the trail until we made our way back towards the trailhead and the trail was filled with people. Best to arrive early.

beautiful and totally doable in half a day!

Very scenic, views ranging from rain forest, to Northern forests. Also pretty easy, great to do it early in the morning. We saw deer as we got there early.

It’s really nice hike with all combine. Bear valley trail is almost flat with no elevation gain along with stream and forest. Arch rock is already collapsed, so avoid it. Sky trail has smoothly elevation gain with good view of pacific.

Stayed at Coastal Camp for the first night then went on to Wildcat Camp for night 2! Also along Coast Trail! Awesome 3 days .

Beautiful green trail with lots of shade. It's fairly flat and the elevation gain isn't very noticeable. There are many side trails and options for loops, etc. Last trip was a 17 mile hike out to the coastal trail and up to sculpture beach and back. I will be back for many more hikes to come!

Beautiful countryside... I agree - should not be classified as hard. It is 11 miles, but its rolling hills. The arch is no longer there, as I believe it collapsed during the historic winter of 2016-2017. Still well worth it. Completed this today with my three young boys and their grandfather!

Love it

Gorgeous hike, but it appears the trail to see Arch Rock is shut down. It was piled high with sticks and brush to close off the trail.

NOT HARD. A beautiful hike through forest and ridge tops with stunning views of the ocean, but not difficult by any stretch. It is a long hike but we found it to be moderate at best.

Awesome trail I did with a complete stranger...

This trail was everything we wanted!! It had lush forest, waterfalls, beaches, hills, and veiws that's can not be captured in one picture. We will definitely be back to do other the other trails.

The trail had a lot of shade which was nice because it was about 80 degrees. The trail was well maintained.

Gorgeous, well maintained trail with lots of shade. I'm not sure why it's rated moderate other than it's a long hike for anyone who is not accustomed to walking miles at a time. It does have elevation changes, but they are gradual. We took our five year old with us and she managed it well, but she is accustomed to walking several miles at a time. It was a bit tough for us on the return because we were all tired, but it's not worth doing if you don't go all the way - it's not until the very end that you see the ocean, and sitting on those cliffs listening to the waves crash is worth the price of admission. There are quite a few water features, including some small (very small) waterfalls and a creek, and it is very green. It was a nice reprieve from the heat of Sacramento.

Completed this trail on 7/21 with my 5 y/o daughter. We completed approximately 10 miles round trip. Very easy. Bathrooms are about at the 2 mile out mark. Make sure to pack water and snacks. The "most difficult" part of the trail is the return near the restrooms on that hill coming back up:only because of being tired at this point. :-) Beautiful scenery.

Absolute favorite hike in the Bay Area! I've done this hike many many times with various friends and family over the 25+ years I've lived here. The trail is gentle, once you hit the coast you feel as if you are on the edge of the world, or at least this part of it.

Beautiful trail , busy on weekends best to go on weekdays

We had a lovely time with this trail and did it all the way through, plus heading down to the Beach Trail about a mile away. It was phenomenal and smelled amazing. We were exhausted afterwards because of the duration, but it wasn't a physically challenging trail to complete

I have done this trail twice now. Once all on foot and a second time with a bike part way. Beautiful scenery. Bring some bug spray, water, some warm clothes (in case it's cooler as you get closer to the coast), and a camera. Plenty to explore once you get to the coast. Do some research on the points of interest, pack your backpack accordingly, and make a day of it!

If you have a bike, you can ride it as far as the Glen Trail junction, but then you have to lock it up and foot the rest of the way.

Wasn't even a damn arch...

Great hike, lovely scenery, sky trail all the way!

Friday, June 16, 2017

Great trail for running, at least during the week. Wide and mostly flat. We didn't go the entire distance, but covered a good portion and had a great run. Plan to hit it a few more times while we are here.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Beautiful, lush green easy 8.2 miles!

Friday, June 09, 2017

An easy ten miles up to the coast and back. Some backpackers coming out early on; we just went in for a hike. Lots of people headed to the beach on the way out.. too many for my taste. It's a nice trail but I prefer something a little more rigorous/less crowded. I would only agree with the moderate rating due to the distance. I found it to be an easy hike. Beautiful area, if you're looking for a chill day out you'll have a nice time.

Monday, May 29, 2017

I need a mountain bike. That's all in my mind after hiking this trail.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Compared to other trails that are marked easy, this trail is even easier. I would strongly reconsider classifying this trail as easy. It is flat, straight, and wide. Bear Valley is the most walker friendly trail I've been on in a long time. Great for multi-generational walks and bike rides.