Bear River to Bear Falls Trail

Bear River to Bear Falls Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 160 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This was a treacherous trail! Overgrown with berry vines, poison oak, trees down, vines over my head and tripping me. A couple places actually underwater, a good chunk of the trail I had to muck through, up to my ankles In sludge. Very hard to find the trail sometimes, thank goodness for AllTrails. I guess I got to the end of the trail but I never saw anything like a waterfall. I’m a pretty tough, experienced hiker and I would never do this again. For safety reasons I don’t recommend it to anyone! Maybe it’s too early in the year for this trail, maybe it’s lovely in the summer. If so, please don’t say it’s accessible year round!

The hike was very beautiful, but extremely overgrown with lots and lots of poison oak. My friend and I came along a patch with lots of weeds where she was bitten by a tick. I would avoid bringing small children or dogs, but worth the rugged terrain to the falls..

Short easy hike along the river, but no actual waterfall.

Not a well maintained trail. Petered out not quite a mile in at a mess of fallen branches. Picked our way over those but could not find any trail after that. Trail was a mix of flat dirt, sand, river rocks, with a few steeper rocky parts. Not bad if you want to do a very short walk in and find a spot to sit next to the river, but not great if you're looking to get a nice hike in.

There’s not really much to look at but it was quiet & nice at the river. There’s no actual falls

Monday, October 15, 2018

My wife and I walked this trail with our dogs. It wasn't a tough walk, but the trail surface changes a lot so its worthy of hiking boots, and the trail was easy to find and follow all the way to the falls, and who doesn't like walking along a river. It's pretty even late in the year and one area had a lot of wild grapes that were delicious. The creek size waterfall was flowing well and cascaded about 30ft down the side of the hill, so mission accomplished. We followed the trail for about a 100 yards past the falls but it got pretty tight and then became hard to follow so we decided to head back. It was a pleasant walk and we even saw a bear about a 1/4 mile from the trailhead on the way back, and he wanted nothing to do with us. I would say we might do it again in the early spring but at that time of year the creek may make it hard to get access the waterfall.

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Fun, if you like getting cut up by brambles! We never did see a waterfall, we turned around at 2.25 miles after bleeding all over our legs and arms. Not kid friendly, not animal friendly, not skin friendly. It was amusing watching my partner get belted with branches, until I got hit also.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Horrible trail not very clear and didn't even make it until the end. People are living just off the trail, found a syringe on the trail.. NEVER AGAIN

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Well I went here to trail run to the waterfall. It was great. There was a stream on the trail and a bit of mud But the worst was at some point in time, the trail just ends at a stump. The upper trail starts leaning and banking towards the riverbed. So I thought the riverbed would be the trail. It kinda was , then big fat rocks. That was the end. I returned. To the start All in all. A 2 or 3 star run, but a 2 star hike. Couldn't get to the end Also, I hear the fall is small, so... The panhandlers are cool. They even showed me the gold they found. Also there's a beach that's nice

Monday, May 15, 2017

Not necessarily easy, some rocky area with significant overgrowth. Hiking boots recommended. Not well maintained. Poison oak all along the trail. Not dog friendly. Dogs came home covered in dozens of tics. Pretty river.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Great trail for early season hikes!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

We didn't read negative reviews till we got here. Probably a good thing, or we would have skipped this place. Turns out it was really nice. Drove to very end of camp ground and campers pointed us toward trail head at rear of last camp site. Lots of shade along the trail. Ripe blackberries to pick the whole way. Delicious! Upper trail has many cutoffs to reach river. About halfway, upper trail ends at a washout near a really big rock. Had to back track a bit and continue on riverside trail to the falls. Then we actually passed the falls by accident. I thought trail ended at falls, so kept hiking as long as there was trail. Phone was low on power so had turned off trails app. When trail ended in blackberry briar with no falls in sight, I turned phone back on to check. We had passed falls and hadn't noticed. We back tracked to a small creek we had crossed. Discovered small pool and falls a short distance up the creek but off the trail. My hikers were ages 11, 14, 44, and 69. And a senior Jack Russell mix terrier. We all had a great time. Hiked from 11am-3pm with stops at falls and riverside to teach kids to fly cast. Saw deer, birds, gold pan hopefuls, beautiful white quartz rock, lizards and possibly a rabbit. Tips for this hike: bring a container to pick extra berries (at least if you come toward middle of August, like us). Hiking stick was helpful at a couple steep spots. A few muddy spots along trail so don't wear your best new shoes! We were glad we had bug spray too. Sun protection needed on a couple of wide open sunny parts. Happy hiking! Don't forget to bring water. We each drank a whole bottle and wished we had another.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

This hike was an adventure - not a trail easily followed or found - walk through the campsites towards the river and you will pick up the trail - halfway through you feel like you've lost it but keep going the falls are small but super pretty - a couple of concerns ... The trail is super overgrown with blackberry vine so watch being cut up and my friend came back with a tick so wear long pants and sleeves.

Saturday, June 23, 2018