Bear River to Bear Falls Trail

Bear River to Bear Falls Trail is a 2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Horrible trail not very clear and didn't even make it until the end. People are living just off the trail, found a syringe on the trail.. NEVER AGAIN

Well I went here to trail run to the waterfall. It was great. There was a stream on the trail and a bit of mud

But the worst was at some point in time, the trail just ends at a stump. The upper trail starts leaning and banking towards the riverbed.

So I thought the riverbed would be the trail. It kinda was , then big fat rocks. That was the end. I returned. To the start

All in all. A 2 or 3 star run, but a 2 star hike. Couldn't get to the end

Also, I hear the fall is small, so...

The panhandlers are cool. They even showed me the gold they found.

Also there's a beach that's nice

Not necessarily easy, some rocky area with significant overgrowth. Hiking boots recommended. Not well maintained. Poison oak all along the trail. Not dog friendly. Dogs came home covered in dozens of tics. Pretty river.

Great trail for early season hikes!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

We didn't read negative reviews till we got here. Probably a good thing, or we would have skipped this place. Turns out it was really nice. Drove to very end of camp ground and campers pointed us toward trail head at rear of last camp site. Lots of shade along the trail. Ripe blackberries to pick the whole way. Delicious! Upper trail has many cutoffs to reach river. About halfway, upper trail ends at a washout near a really big rock. Had to back track a bit and continue on riverside trail to the falls. Then we actually passed the falls by accident. I thought trail ended at falls, so kept hiking as long as there was trail. Phone was low on power so had turned off trails app. When trail ended in blackberry briar with no falls in sight, I turned phone back on to check. We had passed falls and hadn't noticed. We back tracked to a small creek we had crossed. Discovered small pool and falls a short distance up the creek but off the trail. My hikers were ages 11, 14, 44, and 69. And a senior Jack Russell mix terrier. We all had a great time. Hiked from 11am-3pm with stops at falls and riverside to teach kids to fly cast. Saw deer, birds, gold pan hopefuls, beautiful white quartz rock, lizards and possibly a rabbit. Tips for this hike: bring a container to pick extra berries (at least if you come toward middle of August, like us). Hiking stick was helpful at a couple steep spots. A few muddy spots along trail so don't wear your best new shoes! We were glad we had bug spray too. Sun protection needed on a couple of wide open sunny parts. Happy hiking! Don't forget to bring water. We each drank a whole bottle and wished we had another.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

This hike was an adventure - not a trail easily followed or found - walk through the campsites towards the river and you will pick up the trail - halfway through you feel like you've lost it but keep going the falls are small but super pretty - a couple of concerns ... The trail is super overgrown with blackberry vine so watch being cut up and my friend came back with a tick so wear long pants and sleeves.

Saturday, May 14, 2016