Bear Gulch and Alambique Trail Loop

Bear Gulch and Alambique Trail Loop is a 9.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Redwood City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

2043 feet

Towering redwoods and eye-opening vistas make this hike a great escape from the stress of Silicon Valley. This hike at Wunderlich County Park takes you through some of the most common ecosystems in the South Bay: second-growth redwood, oak, madrone and open meadows. The park, just outside of Woodside on the west side of Silicon Valley, draws crowds on the weekends, and it can be hard to find a parking spot. If possible, it's recommended to try and come mid-week when you'll have the trails mostly to yourself. The redwood forest deepens the further you hike in. At one point this whole hillside was logged, but now a new redwood forest is reclaiming the land. It's a great place to experience nature's regenerative powers first-hand. Trails on this track: Bear Gulch Trail, Skyline Trail, and Alambique Trial. Wunderlich is on a hillside at the foot of the Santa Cruz Mountains; you start at the bottom so it's pretty much uphill for most of the first half; but it's downhill for the rest. Note you can cut this hike roughly in half by looping back to the parking lot rather than venturing higher in the park along the Skyline or Alambique trails. Also, the Redwood Trail is a pretty side trip, and The Meadows is an excellent open area for taking a snack break. Best time to come: With all the shade, this is a great all-year park; springtime will be a bit more scenic as the wildflowers bloom. The deepest redwood section offers a cool break from summer heat. The redwood canopy even offers some protection on a rainy hike.

The trails are heavily trafficked but feature good paths among redwoods and a large meadow. Views are mostly limited. Enjoyable and there are many opportunities to tailor the route to your liking.

I agree this is a nice walk and at a moderate level EXCEPT for about 1/4 mile which is really steep. Parking much better on Woodside road side when compared with starting from the skyline side.

Love this trail, traffic isn’t too bad getting there via Woodside Rd.

About 2.5 miles in, there is currently a trail detour that is very steep. This part of the trail is collapsed in some areas, and there’s a few fallen trees—don’t go this way.

It was a fun trail! Lots of great scenery especially at the top. I would recommend it to anyone who likes lots of trees and beautiful views.

Very pretty trail with few people. Amazing and unusual Dome spiders! Also saw lots of birds, squirrels and deer. We wanted to add the skyline trail loop but it was closed due to avalanche/soil erosion. Really nice park with beautiful horse stables and museum near the parking lot.

Friday, December 30, 2016

my 3 kids and I loved it!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Redwood trail hiking at its best. Lots of climbing, but not too punishing. If you like sun, the lower section of Alambique is nice. For shade I'd go Bear Gulch and Skyline.

Not too crowded, with occasional horses on the lower trails.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Great place to hike! Light traffic and no problems finding parking if you go early in the morning (arrive there by 7am). Nicely shaded except for maybe the Meadows trail which looked uncovered.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Relaxing...wonderful nature sounds

Monday, June 27, 2016

Rehabbing broken back and ankles and this was the closest trail to my house. Varied inclines, nearly all quite steep and for my ankles, difficult, but so beautiful it was worth the journey every time.

Monday, June 20, 2016

great trail. lot of shade from the trees and amazing for the kids. will do it again next week end

Monday, June 13, 2016

There are lots of trails so you can customize the level of effort. We did part of Alambique to Loop Trail, so about 1.7 if I am reading the map right. You get to climb and then descend, so that's always nice. Yes, you do have to worry about horse shit, but otherwise, I enjoyed it.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

I love Wunderlich. I'm there all the time. Especially good on hot days when you need to seek out a trail with tree cover. It takes you through redwoods and eucalyptus groves. Beautiful.

Sunday, February 14, 2016

I walked 10 miles in total. The upward trail is kinda tough and I sweated a lot. The downward trail is very easy. The things I want to complain is the mud and horse shit on the trail. I have to pay close attention to the road in order to avoid stepping on them. Other than that it's a great trail, not much people and great to go in summer because trees can block sunshine.

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Thursday, December 31, 2015

A wonderful 12.5 mile family hike, which was broken in two legs by a brief stop at Alice's Restaurant.

1. We began the first hike from the parking lot near the historic Folger Stable and took the Bear Gulch Trail towards the Crossroads, then took the Alambique Trail to the Skyline Trail back towards the Crossroads where we continued on the Skyline Trail out of Wunderlich Park to Alice's Restaurant. A cold beer and good food was our reward after the 8.5 mile hike.

2. After a nice lunch, we left Alice's Restaurant for the second leg of our hike. We took Skyline Trail to the Crossroads, then the Bear Gulch Trail for .6 miles to Oak Trail. We then too Oak Trail to Meadow Trail that ran into Alambique Trail, which led us back to the parking lot. A great 4.0 mile hike to end the day.

There were not too many hikers on the trail due to a light drizzle...highly recommend the hike!

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Great, lots of redwoods, great hills, beautiful atmosphere. I even pet the horses though you aren't supposed to.

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Wunderlich Park was a pleasant surprise. I did a hike on the opposite side of Skyline (Purisima Creek Trail), and it was actually incredibly strenuous because we started going downhill and ended the three hour hike with an hour-long - and very steep - uphill climb, haha.

Wunderlich has a variety of trails you can do, and they're all fairly easy to follow. We did what was probably the shortest loop -- roughly 3mi. -- and were successful until the end; we ended up having to walk along Woodside Road for the last quarter mile or so. Woops! I'm not sure where we veered off, but we definitely went down a trail path. It just happened to lead down through a neighborhood and onto the main road. If you start going through houses, turn around and try to connect onto the trail again.

There are longer trails as well, around 7mi, and they all have very pretty scenery. We were constantly stopping to admire the nature. There is a lot of cool stuff to see here! Pay attention to the little things and, of course, the really big ones like the massive burnt-out tree. Amazing.

Parking is pretty easy (I'd recommend just parking on Woodside), and the toilet was horrific. There were seat covers and toilet paper coming up out of it, rendering it impossible to use (for the ladies). I never wish I was a dude, but this almost made me consider. Almost...

Monday, May 18, 2015

Wunderlich is great. Lovely trails and redwoods, great scenery and peaceful surroundings

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

This is a great place for trail running. Shady and incline is moderate. Try the 10 mile figure eight loop from the Woodside parking lot. It does get crowded on the weekends so get there before 8am. Enjoy.

Monday, November 11, 2013

Did the 5 mile loop mentioned on BA Hiker. It began by following the Alambique Trail and took 2 hours to complete. Beautiful hike at dusk, a great view, many deer and a nice mix of landscape.

I read varying info on whether or not there is an entrance fee. There isn't one. Parking can be limited so some people park on the side of the road on Woodside.

Monday, August 05, 2013

This was my all time favorite place to be when I was a kid. The best thing was the variety of ecosystems you would go through from the bottom of the park up to skyline. A great loop can be made by climbing up the trails near bear gulch road up to skyline and then along the southern part of the park back down. Check out the Folger estate too.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Nice shade and overall peaceful hiking experience. There are many shade trees throughout. Nice mellow workout along with fresh air. Easy to get to and will be a favorite for you.

Saturday, September 01, 2012

Took the family yesterday. We hiked for 3 miles, the kids loved seeing the horses in the entrance. Beautiful redwoods and eucalyptus trees, we climbed 1100 feet up bear gulch trail and back down. Really great hike, looking to come back again soon

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Stunning. Gorgeous. Serene. This is my go-to spot for 6-10 mile trail runs. Wide path for duel running most of the way. Well traveled so generally comfortable going alone. The grade is challenging but manageable. Lots of options to shorten or lengthen your run along the way.

Also, worth noting this is a great hiking spot. for families as well. Throw on the kid pack and get going. Leave the stroller at home though.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Try the10 mile loop from parking lot to Skyline. A great work out. Best in winter and spring.

Thursday, February 02, 2012

Nice choice of to stay off the "back" trails that the horses take otherwise you are watching what you step in.