Bear Flats via Bear Canyon Trail

Bear Flats via Bear Canyon Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is part of the Mt. Baldy Trail that reaches the summit. Bear Flats is 1.5 miles from the trailhead and opens up as small meadow within the mountains

Beautiful, well maintained trail with multiple terrains - it is a little confusing to find as you need to walk up a road through a private neighborhood to find the trailhead. Once you reach the meadow, would recommend going about .5-1 mile further, the views are worth it. There are tiny waterfalls, streams, red woods, and stunning canyons and mountains.

It was a nice hike but a little disappointing how the hike ends

This review isn't really complete because we ran out of time today (went to see San Antonio Falls first and my companion needed to be home for an appointment). We only made it about halfway to the campgrounds.

The road leading to the trailhead is private, so you need to park at the base where the church is. They display a sign saying hikers welcome, and since a service wasn't in session, parking was easy. The first part of the hike is obviously the private road to get to the actual trailhead. Once you're on the trail, it's interesting to see the cabins hidden up on the canyon walls. Often times you can only find them due to the hidden stone stairways leading to them. The creek at the start of this hike is peaceful with a few smaller waterfalls. We diverted a few times from the trail to enjoy the creek since we knew we would run out of time.

The views start to impress at the second set of switchbacks. Unfortunately, this is where we needed to turn around.

We went at noon on a Tuesday and were the only hikers for our short section of the hike.

The loss of the single star is because of climbing the road to get to the trail. I plan to try to complete this hike another day and give a more fair rating.

Really fun and gorgeous but it's all uphill and a large part is switch backs. If you are hiking for the exercise this is great but me and my girlfriend were just going for the views and the calm so it was a little rigorous for us

Very peaceful trail, with great views all the way up. At the end of the trial is a big tree not a view but the whole hike you get a great scenery.

nice short incline hike, love to wander off the trail a bit enjoy nature and the silence.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Very nice hiking trail for my dog, she enjoyed it.

Monday, October 17, 2016

I summited Mt Baldy via this trail and it's quite the workout to put it lightly. The view on the way up to the summit is great - takes your mind away from how tired your body is feeling. >_

Friday, August 26, 2016

pretty

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Cool little fern gully otw up to Baldy via the Old Mount Baldy trail. Very pretty and lots of shade until this point. Looked like there were some camping spots too. The trail to get up to Lookout Mt. is also right off of the flats.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Did this trail all the way to the summit then to west Baldy and down. I've heard this trail be called "the Baldy death march" and it lives up to the hype. 6,000ft elevation gain in 6 steep as it gets for hiking miles. I brought 4 liters of water as well as the essentials. Definitely the most challenging trail up Baldy and I would not recommend to the inexperienced or out of shape. Also *expect to add a extra mile each way due to no parking allowed at trail head.* 14 total miles according to my gps.

Monday, July 11, 2016

It's a Nice trail, it's another way to go to MT San Antonio really difficult, need a lot the water.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

A steep hike with excellent views. I came across a rattle snake near the end so be alert!

Monday, March 28, 2016

Fun little trail especially if you plan to go to the lodge after. On the way up there are plenty of great views of the mountains and scenery. The flats is a great place to hang out or bring up lunch. Just pack out what you pack in!

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Great little hike, and a good one to use to measure progress. Great southern views halfway up after the first round of switchbacks. Awesome hike if you wanna earn that cold beer at the lodge after!

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Great views, cool houses to see along the path just before the trail starts.

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Nice little hike. Its mostly shaded and used little; we only saw a group of three and a solo hiker the whole time. The best view is about half way to Bear Flats where you're on the south side in the sun; you get a nice valley view. Its a climb and can be strenuous if you're packing in a little one.

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Hiked up to Baldy from Village. It was fun... A lot of other hikers I knew were on the trail. It makes it feel safe to go up there alone. Weather was perfect. Not too hot or cold. Carried microspikes for nothing. NO SNOW

Sunday, March 09, 2014

This was an unbelievable day of hiking.I can't believe it is February and the trail is completely free of snow. However there is a storm due next weekend and I suspect all that will change. So, I feel very fortunate to hike today in this pristine wilderness and forest. This is such a beautiful hike. I went with two friends and we summited Baldy. Well worth the effort. Bye Baldy for awhile …I smell SNOW!!!!

Thursday, December 26, 2013

This was a warm day on Baldy. I was all alone! Hardly met anyone. THere was still Ice on the ridge and it was quite windy at that juncture. I turned around at that point. I know other people made it to the top today but not I!!. Next time!