Bear Creek Canyon Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near La Quinta, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,319 feet Route Type: Out & Back

One of the trails at La Quinta Cove, open all year to all skill levels. The trail offers panoramic views of the mountains to the south. The trail is relatively flat to begin, then becomes much steeper just before 2 miles.

Great trail 1st mile quite level and trail markers are spread out. Once you start up it continues for quite awhile. Its worth the trip to the oasis l recorded 6.5 miles from where I started making it a 13 mile trek . With fantastic views. This was done in late December 6am temps 42 degrees when I finished it was 80 degrees

Amazing views of the valley!

Great trail with good parking close to La Quinta Resort. I parked at the second lot with the trail kiosk. The Bear Creek Oasis trail said 4 miles one way, it was more like 5. First half mile the trail is well marked on a level wide path. The next mile the trail enters a dry creek bed/wash that again is well marked, wide and level. Keep your eye out at around the 1.3 mile mark for a trail marker at a bit of a “Y” near some boulders in the trail. At this point be looking up and to the right for another trail marker that starts the main single track up to the oasis. Don’t continue down the wash as you will end up in a deep canyon bolder hoping. That is where I ended up from my mad navigation skills. As you start on the main single track you will be doing a lot of uphill climbing, the trail is in great shape, just uphill. After about a mile of hiking you start to get some great views of the valley below, snow capped mountains, beautiful wildflowers, canyons, cactus and rocks. Definitely a trail I’ll do again when I am back in the area. This would be a rough trail in the summer. Fall, winter and spring are the times to do this one. Bring plenty of water and sturdy shoes.

Saw 5 big horn sheep 10 yds off the trail.

Went hiking here on Wednesday. And on my decent, 6 longhorn sheep surrounded me 10 ft away. They were protecting their female sheep. I didn’t move and kept my head down. They stared me down for a nervous few minutes and then left. They circled around the area. Otherwise, hike was beautiful and neat to get to the oasis.

Great hike. The mountain sheep seem to be a regular feature. There were 5 rams and 4 ewes in the herd today and we had to wait for them to get off the trail. One was doing the classic lion king pose, it made the best pic I have of a ram.

Up and up and up great climb with amazing views the big horn were out grazing. Palm trees at desert oasis are massive trail in great condition considering we went the morning after a big rain fall

I really love this trail but do not think it’s worth it to go all the way to the end. Once it goes around the back of the mountain, the next 3/4 of a mile isn’t really worth it as there’s nothing to see and it wasn’t much of a challenge. As other people mentioned, the 1st mile and a half or just a flat walk until you reach the trail. It then moves uphill very quickly and is an incredible work out. I will definitely do it again!

Gorgeous vista at highest elevation you see the Santa Rosa , SAN Bernardino mountain ranges all the way to the Salton Sea.

I hiked this trail Monday in the rain and today in beautiful sunshine, no traffic on Monday, today’s traffic was very light, beautiful views and quiet. Trail will be in full bloom in a few weeks.

A very well maintained trail. The climb is awesome but first you have to trek through a sandy-scree river bed. It’s a nice warmup. As you ascend, one can’t help but notice the surrounding peaks and then matching their height. The desert flora was amazing as the sun rose. The climb is long and steady with a few flat spots. We finally reached a look-out perch that offers a grand view of what you just suffered through. Freakin awesome! Continue on around the bend as the trail drops down. You’ll see the oasis in the distance. After one last climb you’ll arrive at the palm tree Shang-gri-laaa! Only to discover it’s a mess of burnt Palm tree fronds and nowhere to chill. I hope it’s on the trail maintenance agenda. For now, the lookout is the spot. Leave early or prepare for traffic. Bring plenty of water and snacks. And don’t forget your hat!

My favorite hike in this area , steep narrow , and an oasis at the top bring a lot of water . btw. you have about 1.1/2 mile through the desert to reach the start so watch for the trail markers

Re-did this hike with two friends Oct 31, 2018. Weather was perfect with breeze. Very strenuous for inexperienced hikers. We all ran out of water from our backpack bladders carrying 2 liter each. Luckily we had a couple of water bottles as supplements. I suggest also taking something to help with rehydrate with nutrients as there's much sweating in this hike. This hike shows 8.3 miles up and back, but both times I've hiked it, mine and my buddy's distance counter showed 12 + miles. The views are spectacular and the Salton Sea can be seen to the east. To the west Palm Desert and Rancho Mirage can be seen. The elevation change is about 2360 ft so it was a good cardio. It would be worthwhile to pack food to eat along the way to re-energize. We were disappointed when we saw two men coming up the trail as we were returning from the palms. Each only had one plastic bottle of water. They hadn't even made it halfway. I offered bottles of water, but they said no thanks. Hmm. Hope they did well in their hike. Taking extra water is essential on this hike. The trail is pretty visible. The Grove can't be seen until your about a 3rd of mile from it.

Great hike with great views all around! About 4 hours round trip.

Sunday, July 01, 2018

My only dislike of this trail is how long it actually takes to get to the fun/pretty part. But that’s all the trails in The Cove. This one is definitely my favorite Cove trail. Great views. Great exercise.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Hiked this yesterday 6/26 - started at 4 from the parking lot, 109*. If you're doing this any time after 10a, bring a LOT of water. You gotta earn this one... Lots of uneven terrain once you start heading up, the length/vertical isn't bad, but the terrain makes it harder than advertised. With breaks, 4 hours, 9.5 miles, 2400 vertical parking lot and back. A little disappointed that the trail doesn't actually summit - you end up going around the back side and then back down to the Oasis, which right now is dry. Other then that, definitely a decent hike if you're looking for a good test.

Thursday, May 17, 2018

this hike, man. that ascent don't quit. i think i woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and i definitely spent most of the return trip mentally lambasting everything from the obvious liars who "enjoyed" this hike to the hubris of whoever decided this path should be trod by humanity in the first place, to whoever decided to print my water bottle with the label "1000 mL" instead of "1 L". like, ? way to just reject, out of hand, the entire reason for inventing the metric system? THAT SAID, i bet this walk would be really beautiful in early spring/winter. some great views, interesting geology. saw one jackrabbit. very few birds. all other life forms (aka, lizards) were scarce and, when glimpsed, looked about as slow-roasted as i felt. if you're gonna do this hike in summer, leave early and bring a lot of water! I started ~30 min after sunrise and was halfway to becoming beef jerky by the time i got back to the parking lot. the oasis was great! and probably the ~.5 miles before it were easily the most diversely beautiful in terms of flora, fauna, and landscape. good spot to catch some shade and a snack. also, cell reception was wonderfully reliable throughout hike up until the oasis itself, where it was spotty.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

This is a great hike! Views are great. It has some steep climbs but it’s a good workout!

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

I don't know where in the world we were at. This trail head is the start of many other trails, and it is a hunt trying to find this one..... Although the GPS from All Trails said we were on the right path, nothing in this description noted bouldering. Where ever we were we ended up scrambling over many boulders, although it was fun and we continued without question..... it seemed the further we went the more challenging the scrambling got as the boulders became huge huge walls of rock. We accepted our fate and lunched at a nice secluded spot with a cave.... We always have a good time, but not sure if we were on the right path.....

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Nice easy hike. Took 3.5 hours chit chatting with a friend the whole way up and down. I would rate it as moderate to easy for an average, somehow in shape, middle age person.

Friday, February 16, 2018

The hike was from the end of Eisenhower Drive South end of LA Quinta Cove to the Palms Grove and back. The day was near perfect with a light breeze and a few clouds in the low 70's. Saw a couple of dogs at the beginning of the trail, but none were seen during most of the out and back. There is no water source anywhere along the walks so all take more than enough water for each person. A snack or lunch isn't necessary, but a good idea as it is a calorie burner. My Fitbit Blaze showed the hike to be 13 miles out and back. Didn't deviate from the trail. It also showed altitude change of 237 flights of stairs (2,370 ft roughly. It took about 5 hrs and 17 minutes to go out and back. It was rather slow as I was carrying a good sized backpack with a water bladder in it. Oh yeah, take TP just in case of the need to evacuate. The views were spectacular given it was somewhat hazy to the east. The Salton See can be seen along with even Rancho Mirage or Cat City to the west. The trail is mostly composed of loose Rock and some gravel. For rock enthusiasts the different rocks with an array of colors is a delight. Saw a few bird in the hike but unfortunately no Big Horn sheep, which I know have been seen before near the trails. The Oasis is pretty nestled in a gully near the base of a hill southwest of the trail and seems guarded by old dead palms. The Palms were thick with downed palm frahms and walking through was hazardous. There does seem to be a trail to the left, but I didn't take it to see where it led or dead ended. After 2 hrs 40 minutes to get there I rested a bit, ate something and headed back. Only saw one person hiking out as I approached. It was nice and quiet. Cell phone service was good on the ridge above the Grove. Hiking back about 2 plus miles away from the parking area I ran out of water. Next time will fill the water bladder to top. That's why I said take more than enough water. This was my longest hike in many years and was pretty tired getting to my ride. If your an avid hiker willing to go more than 5-6 miles it's a must do. Any less excited about the distance and elevation change you can still have a beautiful hike going half way.

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Beautiful views, only passed about 3 people. Took us 3 hours.

Saturday, February 10, 2018

butt kicker... no water at the oasis today

Friday, January 05, 2018

Great hike! Great scenery!

Friday, December 08, 2017

We did it in 3 hrs in 1/2. Round trip. Very quiet trail with a nice view! We got to see 4 big horns running down the hill (pretty cool even though I got scare for a second because they passed next to me hehe ) FYI: NO bathrooms near the trail or parking lot.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

I will not say that the trail was hard, but I do a lot of hiking. Now I need to try the Cactus to Clouds. If you can only rate these trails in three categories then it’s not very accurate.