Bear Creek Canyon Trail

Bear Creek Canyon Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near La Quinta, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

old growth

One of the trails at La Quinta Cove, open all year to all skill level. Relatively flat trail with panoramic views of the mountains to the south.

We did it in 3 hrs in 1/2. Round trip. Very quiet trail with a nice view! We got to see 4 big horns running down the hill (pretty cool even though I got scare for a second because they passed next to me hehe ) FYI: NO bathrooms near the trail or parking lot.

I will not say that the trail was hard, but I do a lot of hiking. Now I need to try the Cactus to Clouds. If you can only rate these trails in three categories then it’s not very accurate.

Took a while to walk in sand until you get to the good stuff.

Great trail, definitely not for the novice. Don't mistake any of the summits along the way for the end - keep going until you come over a ridge and see an oasis of 20 palm trees nestled way up in the hills. Incredible views along the way. Bring more water than you think you need.

beautiful wild flowers blooming today! The oasis is anticlimactic! The climb is tough but doable! Bring lunch and snacks, it's 4+ miles in to the oasis.. total round trip is over 9miles from the parking lot!

Great hike, beautiful day! Even got lucky enough to see a couple big horn grazing. Definitely will go back!

Misty cool day. No views but beautiful in a different way. The oasis at the end was magic but a bit hard to find. The trail was easy to walk and not too steep

Friday, December 09, 2016

Loved this hike! Way to work those legs, raise your heart rate and see amazing views of the valley, canyon and surrounding mountains.

Not a trail for the novice! Enjoy!

Thursday, November 17, 2016

great hike..views of Salton sea and wind turbines when you get close to top. usually closet to top cools down and get breeze with the altitude..have seen bighorn sheep on this hike quite a bit

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Was great to bring small kids in wagon because of the paved pathway and will definitely come back for future bike rides and or jogging with my dog:-)

Saturday, March 26, 2016

spectacular flowers after the three mile mark

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

I lost the trail and spent a lot of time in the wash within the canyon, which is slow going.

Monday, February 29, 2016

What a great trail, decided to stay to the right and off the wash which made it a moderate hike. We were also able to spot a big horn. We will definitely do this trail again.

Monday, February 29, 2016

A great hike we stayed to the right of the trail and climbed up instead of walking through the wash, which made it a moderate hike. We will definitely do this trail again. We're able to see a big horn as well.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Beautiful scenery and easy biking trail.

Friday, February 05, 2016

Good road trail, nice and not super crowded

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Hiked this trail in early January and while starting off easy it presents with a steady uphill climb until just before the oasis. The views of San jacinto peak were quite beautiful and the diversity of cacti also stunning. Well worth the jaunt.

Friday, January 15, 2016

It's a great hike but if you go all the way to the oasis it's not easy. The track the shows 4.4 miles one way is correct but the elevation gain is much more than 134 ft, just look at the graph, starts at 2300 ft and end at 1300 ft. Just a warning this is a difficult hike, take lots of water in warm weather.

Monday, January 04, 2016

A good trail with a variety of levels. There are two ways to go: One way (the main way) takes you up some rocky terrain, then downhill you'll pretty much be walling down soft sand the whole time. If you choose this path, I'd rate it as a moderate hike. But if you go the opposite direction, you'll be climbing uphill in all soft sand, then down the rocky terrain. That would make the hike a lot more difficult, rating it as "hard."
There's not much to see except a lot of dirty desert, rusty metal scraps and broken glass...unless you're lucky enough to encounter some Big Horn Sheep.

Saturday, January 02, 2016

My wife and I headed out a little later in the day so we took it pretty quick up the trail. It was a great hike for both of us. Never been up there and we really enjoyed the hike. Gorgeous sights to see and the views are outstanding. Weather was cool and coming back later in the afternoon just before sunset was really nice and our first experience in that situation. I would recommend doing that to anyone. Take a head lamp if you do. Trail is really rocky and several switchbacks. The trail is nice and always easy to see after you leave wash area on the way up. If you have it, use Google maps to track yourself. It helped us find the oasis to see how we progressed along the trail. Take plenty of water and snacks.