Beacon Hill Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(54)
Griffith Park

Beacon Hill Loop Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 620 feet Route Type: Loop

There are much better trails for hiking in Griffith Park. This one is awesome for trail running.

NOT RECOMMENDED for your first trail at Griffith park. There is one section that I would DEFINITELY avoid. If you're on this trail and see a long pipe in the ground, good luck.

I followed suggestions to go counterclockwise to complete the steeper part first. Early morning w several cottontails hopping around. A few pieces of trash I picked up. Got to the top and took in the view of the city. Followed trail down and it was overgrown (I suggest pants) and very loose gravel. I was not prepared for the steepness because of reviews and my Dr advised me not to do this type of decline because I have bad knees. I went slowly because of the slippin n slidin I was doing here and there. Felt like going down Wisdom Tree trail through this part. Lots of trash, unfortunately I was not prepared to take anymore with me. I wont do this one again, but if someone does, please bring a bag and gloves for the litter.

Tue Mar 26 2019

I would recommend this trail for someone seeking a (roughly) hour long hike with great incline. upper beacon trail is wide with great views, lower beacon trail is quite rough and narrow. we (my pup and I) did it as a loop and finished at about 1 hr and we walk a pretty good pace. if attempting the loop, I would recommend going counterclockwise (lower beacon first) to get the rough part out of the way.

Mon Dec 24 2018

took my 4 year old on the hike and he was fine. I suggest doing the loop counterclockwise. you get all of the elevation over with in the first mile. the last third of a mile to the summit is a legit single file hike, my son had to climb at times but I imagine that was safer than the loose footing going down that section. otherwise the hike is on horse trails and is well maintained and leisurely.

Fri Jun 15 2018

Easy to follow, wide track trail starting at the pony rides/miniature train station. Most of the climb is moderate, till you get to the short but steep single track to the summit. There are lots of signs, and the trails are well maintained. Not the best views of DTLA, Silver Lake, and Burbank, but worth it if you're close.

Tue Jul 18 2017

First half is cool and the summit is nice, particularly around sunset. But the hike falls apart in the second half. The trail is barely there at times so you'll find yourself scampering down loose dirt and rocks, ducking under bushes to stay on the trail. You might want to pick a different route after Beacon Hill. There are a few choices.

Thu Mar 02 2017

smelly and littered with nothing to see.

recorded Beacon Hill Loop Trail