Beacon Hill Fern Canyon Loop Trail

Beacon Hill Fern Canyon Loop Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Just Ok. Uphill portion has no shade, but then levels off to partial shade. Decent views of downtown LA and then, further on, Burbank.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Monday, March 07, 2016

The first 30% was the most difficult going up hill for about a mile, but then the rest was easy and rewarding with beautiful views.

Monday, March 07, 2016

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Sunday, January 18, 2015

The marker on AllTrails is in the wrong spot. Try 3610 Cadman Dr for the real location.

Not a bad trail for right in the city - the views are all of the freeway and the surrounding city, but there are areas where you can barely hear the road noise and it feels fresh and cool.

Everybody I met along the trail was friendly and it took less time to complete than I expected, though with a few fairly steep inclines and declines. Traffic on a Saturday afternoon was moderate, I passed a fair number of groups, but there were stretches where I thought I was the only person left on the trail.

Unfortunately, dogs must be leashed, which is not my preference since my dog needs about 5 times as much exercise as I do. However, for a trail in the city, I get it.. and it was nice to get out into fresh air for a little while.

The trail itself was wide enough for a vehicle for most of the way, except the climb to the top summit and the decline back to the main trail. That decline was steep and rocky, maybe not ideal for older people, but not difficult by any means. I went counterclockwise, climbing on the west side of the loop and descending on the right side. I think the rocky decline would have been easier going up, but I'm glad I went the way I did because it was near sundown and while the first half of the loop was in shade already, the second half was sunny and bright.

Friday, June 13, 2014