Bayside Trail is a 2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 305 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

beach

partially paved

closed

historic site

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. This monument commemorates the landing of Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo at San Diego Bay on September 28, 1542, which was the first European expedition on what later became the west coast of the U.S. The monument includes a statue of Cabrillo and 20th-century coastal artillery batteries built to protect the harbor of San Diego from enemy warships.

Great interpretive trail with beautiful views!

I thought the views up top around the visitor center were much better than the views on this trail down to the water. There were some interesting WW2 sites along the way, and you do get a good view of the place where the first European landed in the modern US. Also, watch out for bees.

we really enjoyed this trail. it has beautiful views. Steady incline on the way back up

beautiful views on a wide and easy trail

Easy down and up

fee

It was pretty rocky and it was really hot. It was also a little slippery. I have the scrap on my legs to prove it. But in fairness, I was running down the trail a little out of control. In summary, it was fantastic. Sincerely, E.R.R

Great views.

it's not really a hike. more like a walk without any wow moments. end of the trail leads you to nothing. no shade, bring some water with you.

Short, easy trail with nice views and a couple of historical points of interest along the way, as well as a few benches trail-side.

Easy walking and great views - even when the marine layer is heavy. Got to see a military sub come in!

Great views on an easy, wide gravel path. The Navy base opposite had boat, helicopter and airplane traffic coming and going, so it seems like a good spot to see some of those things. Nice place for birds, too. Hilly scrub provides good habitat.

Cool breezes and great views of SD Bay and Naval Station as you approach the end of the trail. Also some WWI & WWII historical sites along the way. Nice way to spend ~hour.

Sat Apr 13 2019

Beautiful views, coastal breeze, picturesque sea scapes with a thousand sail boats. 1 mile down and 1 mike up trail. A combination of black top and dirt gravel trail. I will do this trail again. Easy parking. Get in free if you have a national parks service pass.

recorded Bayside Trail

Sat Apr 06 2019

B e a u t i f u l! Such a lovely trail with an amazing view! The light house is ok, but it’ll make a nice photo. Not a lot of traffic until after noon. There is a restroom by the lighthouse. Next time I’ll bring my 6 year old. No dogs allowed, but if you are active duty with your CAC, you can get a free annual parking pass for any federal recreational parks. Also there are plenty of beautiful daisies.

Sun Mar 24 2019

the trail itself is pretty short and easy with abandance of banches. my 67 yo mother in law enjoyed it a lot. great views. great place to bring visitors. can do the trail first and then get to see the monument and lighthouse. note: we paid $20 to get in for one car. they take cash or cards.

Mon Mar 04 2019

Few places had trail damage from recent rains. Bees were swarming next to trail at one point. Great to be back on the trail and weather was clearing.

Sun Feb 03 2019

3 stars for the trail, but 5 stars for the monument. I checked this out the day after the shutdown ended (yay!). Nice for a walk while checking out the National Monument or for a nice jog. It is free under the NPS annual pass, so I will probably go the park again for whale watching. If you are paying the $15 entrance fee, it is NOT worth it just for the trail. The park does keep an exhibit on some neat SD history, is good for whale watching (this time of year! Ahh I didn't bring binoculars and couldn't see any), and has great views of the city.

Wed Jan 16 2019

Closed due to Federal shutdown. FYI.

Sun Dec 09 2018

Good stuff

Sun Nov 25 2018

It’s nice to run down the trail and walk back up.

Sun Sep 09 2018

Very beautiful! Isn’t the most nature-esque trail, but it’s as good as it gets for Southern California. It does have really incredible views of downtown, the Coronado bridge and sailboats. Definitely a must-do!

Mon Aug 27 2018

I decided to go to Cabrillo Monument and spend the afternoon there. I was interested in walking the Bayside Trail. It was a very pretty walk seeing Downtown San Diego and Tijuana in the background. The walk down was easy but walking up was a little tougher that made me break out a little sweat. It was nice going down 1 mile and back up 1 mile. Personally I enjoyed it because of the nice views and light ocean breeze. I will definitely do it again.

Wed Jun 13 2018

This is in a national park and you have to pay to get in. I wish I would have read this before driving out here without money on me. Maybe another day.

Thu Jun 07 2018

Peaceful trail with breathtaking views. Information signs about local wildlife and a few WWII-era structures keep the trail interesting, as do the natural surroundings themselves. I saw birds, bees, and even a small snake slithering across the trail. And the exposed yellow sandstone in one spot is really pretty. The all-downhill, then all-uphill factor makes it exhausting near the end, and I don't care for the very upper part that's just a paved road. But the bottom part of the trail is lovely. As for being wheelchair/stroller friendly, I wouldn't consider this trail to be suitable for either one. There is a short, paved panoramic loop behind the lighthouse that is accessible, but personally I wouldn't bring my stroller on this trail. I did bring my 2-year old twins with me but preferred to carry them both for short stretches rather than push 2 kids in a stroller uphill for a mile. And one more thing to consider: be prepared for no shade. I went on a cloudy morning, and it was perfect!

Sat May 26 2018

Very short but beautiful hike. No shade at all so on sunny hot days bring your shade with you. It’s an out and back that is all down hill out and uphill back. Then you have to add the road that you hike down that you then get to hike back up to the lighthouse. It’s all good in the end. The views are spectacular and worth the workout. Benches are placed along the trail so you can take a rest if you need to. Bring water!

Thu May 10 2018

Nice walking trail with beautiful water views. It's all uphill on the way back. I found stopping to read the information signs helpful for rest breaks as needed. Note, it does cost $15 to access the park via car but the pass is good for 1 week.

Fri Apr 27 2018

Great views of San Diego!! Don’t think is wheel chair friendly at all! I was pushing my son (about 40 pounds) in a jogger stroller and it was a little bit challenging uphill. It was a great workout after all.

Tue Apr 10 2018

Very amazing view!!! Great easy hike, my friend with me did it in flip flops lol