New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Bay Area Ridge Trail: Independent School to Five Canyons and Newt Pond Trail

Bay Area Ridge Trail: Independent School to Five Canyons and Newt Pond Trail is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hayward, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,906 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Take the Whispering Creek trail to the bay Area Ridge trail. Return via the Ridgetop or Shoreline Trail.

Wed Oct 10 2018

Good uphill trail nice views

Fri Aug 03 2018

Firstly, you cannot bike around the lake as the trails away from the parking lot and swimming area are for hikers only. Secondly, there is no way this trail should be classified as easy with very steep grades as mentioned in the reviews and the 1000 foot plus elevation gain. The trail signage is less than adequate and often misleading or missing. Advanced bikers might find this trail more to their liking.

Sun Jan 22 2017

Buen recorrido mucha agua y mucho lodo.

Mon Dec 05 2016

I returned with a mountain bike this time. Do not take a road bike or a hybrid bike on this trail as your suspension and brakes will be inadequate. I extended beyond the track and took the Chabot to Garin and Whipsnake trails to High Ridge. This way I could link up with the High Ridge Loop Trail that I had previously hiked. My goal is to be able to do the entire ridge one section at a time. If you want to do the same, just keep going to the radio tower, then go through Stonebrae Country Club until you come to a gate where Whipsnake begins and leads you to High Ridge. There are signs along the way, so it's hard to get lost. There are a couple hiills that are difficult. The paved hill up to the water tanks is a tough climb. But the worst is the down and up through the tree line about half way through the trail. I ended up having to push my bike for part of it because I couldn't maintain traction in first gear. The path was just too muddy. This trail should be rated as hard. I saw a lot of cows, some sheep, and about a half dozen deer. The trail is very scenic. There are great views of the whole Bay Area. The section where you go through the trees is very nice. Biking on Newt Pond trail was a lot of fun on the way back.

Sun Nov 06 2016

Great views once you make it to the ridge. I wouldn't say it was easy and I wouldn't take any bike other than a mountain bike because of the steep grades. It was my first time and I took my hybrid and had a hard time getting traction on the hills.

Fri Oct 19 2018