Bay Area Ridge Trail: Hiddenbrooke Trail

Bay Area Ridge Trail: Hiddenbrooke Trail is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near American Canyon, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

This trail is usually well kept, however it has gone on the wayside as of late. The trail is overgrown, although still hikeable. The ticks are out in serious force. By the time I had noticed, I had a good 30 ticks on my pant legs. Given the trail is overgrown, it gives ticks ample tall grass to cling in wait, while you go walking through the path. If it was groomed properly, this wouldn't be nearly as bad a problem. I did contact the organization responsible for the trail and gave them a heads up.

Beautiful during the green seasons. Amazing landscape of rolling green hills, pops of color from wildflowers, and sweeping views of the Bay Area. The hills are perfect for working out, and the ground is soft so it will be easy on the feet and knees. Zero shade, so take a hat, and start early in warmer months.

Very nice view

Starts off at the base of the entrance of Hiddenbrooke Golf Club right off of the highway by way of paved walkway. Trail head begins off of this walkway and is full of great views. At some points only mountains and valleys are viewable. At the peak, you can view the highway as well as the country club as well as bordering neighborhood. Great hike! Lots of small rodents!

At first I was confused about the paved walkway that runs parallel to Hiddenbrooke Lane, but the trailhead breaks off to the right and into the hills after a short distance.
I jogged most of the way to the summit and back down (except the steeper hills and areas where I had to tread lightly over stickers) and opted to turn left at the top and head back down via switchbacks where the trail meets back up with the road farther up.
Once at the summit, housing development comes into view and it's an interesting contrast to the cows and grass and hills you just came through.
It worked well for me to end the run with pavement because by this time I was hot and tired and grateful for the shade offered by the planted trees alongside so I just moseyed back to the parking area.
Will be back!

Monday, December 19, 2016

Good stuff! Was muddy when we went. Great views!

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Great workout, easy to follow trail, amazing views.

Saturday, July 06, 2013

This looked like a great run but I couldn't find a trailhead. I found a gated road along Newell that worked but it sounded like an official trail?!?!

Monday, June 19, 2017