Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Battle Monument Trail is a 1.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 216 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

I gave it 4 because I like the museum you can go to, but the hike itself deserves a three. Its not very challenging and I had to turn back at the very end because the cactus was so thick.

closed

There is a lot of potential here, as the historic site of a significant battle in the Mexican American War. However, my experience was a tale of three unfortunates: 1) There is no easy or allowed (?) access to the trails if the park is not open. There is a smaller dirt pull off and entry to the trail from the west end of Mule Hill. It is over grown, but usable. 2) The trail itself is poorly maintained. There was grass, weeds, and even cacti overgrowing the trail in places. 3) The park is only open on SAT/SUN, presumably to save money. However, the park should find a way to enable people to hike on the trail regardless of if the office/visitor center is open. I am currently a member of the 1st Cavalry Regiment, the unit whose heraldry dates to the 1st Dragoons, who fought this battle under the leadership of Gen. Kearny. I wish I lived closer, because I would gladly volunteer to help revitalize this site and maybe develop some signs to present the events that unfolded here.

Sat Mar 25 2017

I think this one is closed

Sun Apr 17 2016

In poor condition. views of safari park at top.

Wed Mar 20 2019