Barney Lake Trail

Barney Lake Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mammoth Lakes, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,177 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The break point on the map is one of the most restful and scenic lunch/snack spots I've seen in Mammoth. Lots of very friendly off-leash fogs

Really enjoyed this hike! The incline is gradual, so you can maintain a steady pace. There are a few spots to stop and hang at - highly recommend stopping at Skeleton Lake! I would make sure you have access to this app though. There were a few times when the trail branches off and we weren’t sure which path to take. There aren’t signs for Barney Lake. Once you pass Skeleton, you are almost there. There was adequate shade along the way. Parking can be tough if it’s a busy weekend. When we went, all the spots were taken so we parked in between trees and had no issues. I would do this hike again!

Great trail if you are looking for a hike with plenty of nice views. There is still snow covering parts of the trail so be careful when finding your way around, it is easy to get lost. Make sure to wear big repellent because the mosquitos are out in force! I would say pack a lunch and enjoy the view of Lake Barney.

Great hike today! It took us just under 7hrs but with many stops along the way. My 9,7, and 4 year old hiked it entirely on their own. The views above Skelton are amazing. There were many mosquitoes at different points on the trail, especially at Barney Lake. There was minimal snow on the trail and for the most part you can avoid it. It is our new favorite to add to our trip to Mammoth each year.

It was awesome today...Out and back...We left at 11:45am and were back by 6:00pm Still lots of snow...So beautiful...What a blessing...water was clear and caught several fish at Barney. Enjoy!

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Took the trail early July. BEAUTIFUL! Not room crowded. Fished Skelton on the way. Barney was crystal clear and beautiful. Great hike!

Sunday, September 02, 2018

a trail is absolutely fantastic Unforgettable views the dogs that were off the leash where real nice. the unleash dogs were very good. ( most of the 40 + dogs ) Columbus Day weekend.

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Beautiful trail but still a little early to complete the whole thing. Only made it to about Skelton Lake before the trail was too snowed in to continue with just hiking boots.

Monday, May 28, 2018

See my review of May 26th hike on Skeleton Lake Trail. We tried to hike to Barney Lake but there was so much deep snow and we were not prepared so we stopped at Skeleton Lake.

Thursday, September 07, 2017

Great day hike. Awesome views. A few switchbacks early in the hike. Bring water. A few mosquitoes, but the breeze kept them moving.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Great moderate hike! We had to use deet because of mosquitoes. But still well worth the hike.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

I took the Emerald Lake Trail over to Skeleton Lake and then up to Barney Lake. On my way back to the car I went down towards Arrowhead Lake. Easy, beautiful hike with some snowy patches once you get past Skeleton Lake. Some people were continuing up Duck Pass. More snow in that direction but looks totally doable.