For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Barker Valley Spur Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Warner Springs, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.1 mi Elevation gain 1,059 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (0)
Contact
Tips
Getting There

Trail is accessible by the Palomar Divide Truck Trail. Enter from the HWY 79 near Blue Canyon. The gate leading to the Palomar Divide Truck Trail may close intermittently due to weather or other conditions. NOTE: Do not attempt this hike if the gate to Palomar Divide Truck Trail is closed. This will add 8 miles to your hike.

California Travel and Tourism Commision, P.O. Box 1499 , Sacramento, CA, 95812-1499, Phone: 800-862-2543

Be sure the bring plenty of water and electrolyte replacement. I wouldn't recommend this hike in the summer as the way out has minimal shade (read: small bushes) and can get over 90 degrees easily. The road out to this hike is another challenge. The dirt track is not well maintained and has some sheer drops in areas. I'd only recommend going if you have a high clearance, 4WD vehicle.

Directions from LA Basin: Take Interstate 15 south to Highway 79 near Temecula. Take Hwy. 79 south toward Warner Springs. About 2 miles southeast of Sunshine Summit take Forest Road 9S07 west. In about 7 miles the trailhead sign will be found on the left side of the road. Parking is in the wide area along the road. (Vehicles must display a Forest Adventure Pass.)

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (75)
Photos (60)
Recordings (49)
Completed (117)
Vincent S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 22, 2020
Backpacking

I spent a night there with my son (hammock & tent). There is plenty of water left in the creek, but it’s stagnant. It looked clear and clean. Some bugs in the evening but nothing terrible. ~60F at night. Didn’t see anybody else on the trail or at the trailhead parking. Overall: A nice and quick place to overnight from San Diego: nothing amazing but it’s hard to beat the convenience for a quiet evening in the woods. Leave mid afternoon, get back home around noon (with a stop at Santa Ysabel for pie if you wish). It’s a very quiet trail, and the valley is large enough you can find a spot far away from any neighbor if you’re unlucky enough to have one. On the road: The road is no worse than last year. I’d recommend a mid/high clearance vehicle for the last section. Subaru did great. That said, I did it with a Mini last year so in good weather it’s possible with about anything if you’re careful and go slow. I would avoid this trail if there is any chance of rain, as the road is steep, gets very slippery and you might get stuck without a 4WD - and cause unnecessary damage to the road.

Tamara Rhodes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
HikingBugs

The trail was amazing, but there were so many horseflies. Also, the truck road to the start is rough. Be sure you have a car/truck that can make the journey.

View Tamara's Recording
Bub Elliot
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 16, 2020
HikingOff trailOver grownRocky

Bottom of trail near stream/river was very overgrown making it very difficult to stay on path. Poison oak sporadically but also found some ticks on our dogs and ourselves even. 3/4 of hike was nice, but not exactly worth the trek for what we experienced..

View Bub's Recording
Aiden Lang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 19, 2020
HikingClosed

Would recommend but the gate just off of 79 was locked.

Jamie Clark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 28, 2019
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grownRocky

The road leading to the trail is located off of hwy 79 on Palmore Divide Road 9S07, right before Some Creek (driving north). The road is a moderate 2wd not 4wd truck trail, just lower the tire pressure a little and your good. The hike however is not worth it this time of year. It has very little shade and the sun bakes you 98% of the time. If you want to see the creek do it soon, I don't think it will last through August. I do recommend doing it early morning because it feels like you're going to die about 3/4 of the way through the trail. I wanted to murder my husband because it got so hot, and I am not used to this weather (I am from Washington state). Other than that it is a great workout for a hike

View Jamie's Recording
Jonathan Whipple
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 28, 2019
HikingBugsNo shadeRocky
View Jonathan's Recording
Elizabeth Russell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 9, 2019
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grownRockyScrambleWashed out

The correct road up to the trailhead is PALOMAR DIVIDE TRUCK TRAIL. Apple Maps tried to get us to the trail head from the West next to the Palomar Firestation, but that entrance is private property. Google Maps gave us two options, one of which tried to take us through Half Way Road from the East after that, but that road eventually hits private property as well. The road up to the trailhead is pretty rough in some parts and should definitely only be taken by high clearance, 4WD vehicles. The trail has very little shade. That could've been that it took us much longer than expected to get there (we got to Sunshine Summit at 7:30 am and didn't get to the trailhead until noon). Near the end of the trail is a clearing with a few oak trees perfect for base camp. The trail to the water fall is more of a game trail and at one point we ran into a rattlesnake and decided to wade through the river the rest of the way. Overall, it was a beautiful trail and great trip.

Stephanie Redmond
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 7, 2019
HikingRockyWashed out

Do not take the Half Way Road route to get to the trail head where All Trails is directing you. it's washed out about 3.3 miles from the trailhead. We scrapped our backpacking idea and went regular camping instead. Next time I am following the Palomar Divide Truck Road to reach the trailhead. We will be back and I hope to give a better review then.

Todd Kusserow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2019
BackpackingWashed out

DO NOT LET GOOGLE ROUTE YOU UP HALFWAY ROAD!! "Halfway Road" is a NO GO at this time This is the trail that hits 79 at Holcomb Village (it appears to be the most direct road to the trail head on a map) For reference, the Sunshine Summit Market and SD County Fire Station 59 are right where the trail hits the highway. I believe this website's directions tab, Google Maps, will route you to the Barker Valley Trailhead via this road. This used to be best access from the North (LA), but you need to keep going south on 79 to the Blue Canyon access point! I'm driving a 4x4 diesel Dodge truck. We made it less than one mile up the trail to the first of two gates. This gate was closed but unlocked, although a chain and USFS padlock were attached to it. Not long after the first gate, the road was completely washed out. You could get through on a dirt bike, but a 4x4 would have to be a pretty serious rock crawler. No way a regular lifted 4x4 is getting through. We parked there and walked on up the road towards the trailhead. It ended up being about 3.5 miles one way. Past the washout, there are numerous large boulders on the trail that only a dirt bike could get around. Interestingly, we came across a second gate, white steel, which was locked. If we had been able to drive to the second gate, the trailhead would have been less than a mile away. When we got to the trailhead, there were 4-5 cars parked. I saw one guy unloading and he said he had driven in "the long way", which I take it to mean from Blue Canyon. We did not continue down to Barker Valley and I cannot report on the status of water there. toddkay99@gmail.com

JP Bartkowski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 25, 2019

very clear trail with Beuatiful views ofPalomar Mountian to the west and Henshaw valley to the south. I have hiked this trail off and on for years and have never been disappointed. Over night stays are super peaceful. I'm most impressed by those who hike this area( no trash )

Emily Mazzetti
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 25, 2019
Backpacking

Tried to go backpacking today but gate is closed. :-(

Michi Short
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 29, 2019
Hiking

The trail to the waterfall doesn’t exist. We finally made it to the waterfall by hiking down stream, never crossing the river but sticking along the side, after the abandoned tower, climb over washed out branches and through some bushes. It was difficult but the reward awesome!! Perfect one night backpacking trip :)

Nate Bayless
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 20, 2019
Hiking

Definitely an awesome hike with a nice meadow, a stream at the end, and incredible views along the way. We did run into a rattle snake next to the trail, but by the time we came back it was gone. The road in was pretty bumpy and the last 0.7 miles was too much for my sedan so we had to stop and walk that extra distance, but that wasn't too bad.

View Nate's Recording
Ben Gaertner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2019
HikingBugsRockyWashed out

All gates are open. The road leading up goes from: ruts and washouts - to primitively paved - to definitely need a 4x4 with high clearance. I’d say a Subaru type car could make it most of the way but the last mile or 2 would have to be hiked. The trail is in decent shape. Lots of rocks and some washouts. A bit of shade if you start after 4pm. It was pretty rough on my dogs paws so take precautions if you bring a doggo. The 2 streams are flowing well at the bottom. Lots of flat areas to make camp. Be aware that the flies are pretty bad right now. Nothing was biting but they were annoying. There was quite a mess left behind at one of the camping areas. I cleaned up as much as I could and humped out large trash bag full of MRE trash. There’s still an old sleeping bag left behind. If it’s still there next week I’ll grab it. All in all it was fun. Great intro for someone new to backpacking.

Michael Shaw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 2, 2019
HikingNo shadeRocky

Trail is very washed out and full of rocks. Overgrowth of vegetation gives you more shade than normal but still very little shade. The water is flowing great right now. Plenty of spots to find some secluded camping This is my second time trying to get to the waterfall with no success. Palomar Mountain recurved 13” of rain back in February and it shows!! The trail to the waterfall basically does not exist. You can see where it looks like a flash flood went through and leveled everything in its path. Overall a great beginner backpacking trail with a nice flowing water source.