Barker Dam Nature Trail

Barker Dam Nature Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Twentynine Palms, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

rock climbing

Directions from Oasis Visitor Center: Follow Twentynine Palms Highway (62) westward to Joshua Tree. In Joshua Tree turn left on Park Boulevard, which becomes Quail Springs Road after crossing Alta Loma Drive. Follow Quail Springs Road to the improved road that leads to Hidden Valley Campground. Continue driving past the campground entrance about one mile to the Barker Dam Trail parking area

I really enjoyed this hike, it was short and easy to follow. Once we reached the dam we climbed some rocks and relaxed and took in the beautiful view. I would definitely like to do this hike again.

Nice stroll through some nice rock formations.

Will do this again for sure. Beautiful hike, water and rocks.

Nice little trail! It’s a neat peace of history

Super easy trail, with absolutely beautiful scenery! Easy for all ages and fitness levels.

Easy and fun hike. There's some hieroglyphics along the trail, the historical Barker Dam, and a lot of signage about the flora and fauna of the area. A great family walk.

Easy, but fun little hike. My wife and I jumped off the trail to climb up for some better vantage points. We arrived early as were basically alone for a bit. By the time we left the trail was heavily trafficked. Nice hike, not hard unless you want to climb up.

This was a beautiful little walk!
We saw the sunset here (see my pictures). And the reflection in the water is so wonderful.

The little lake is beautiful in the fall. Oak trees are orange and yellow and are reflected in the glass like water. An easy but fun hike.

does not let you check in

Short hike but beautiful view of the dam and a nice place to relax if you've been trekking much of the park.

Large family friendly. We have 5 small children under 10 and really enjoy this hike. There are parts where we carry the 2 year old, but other than that the littles can do most of it and enjoy climbing.

Nice easy quick hike. Had fun looking at all the unique rock formations. I look forward to returning when thares water in the lake.

sadly no water in the dam, but the hike was amazing.

A clear sunny day creates the perfect picturesque scenes featured on this trail.

It'll take about and hour round trip if you factor in the frequent stops you'll take to snap shots.

Easy peasy, but being that it is the most popular trail in the park it can get a little congested. No dogs, boo....

a beautiful area, lots of plants, petroglyphs, and a beautiful pond ☺

This has to be one of my favorite little treks lately. Just something about the varied terrain and the awesome little info signs. I just took my time and had fun

The hike it's self is fairly easy, but the sights are gorgeous. The dam as well as the petroglyphs are very cool to see and fun to learn about! Great simple hike if you want to explore Joshua Tree outside your car.

Pretty easy but amazing scenery

This was an absolute blast of a hike. I certainly went around slower than others but I loved the entire experience