Barker Dam Nature Trail

Barker Dam Nature Trail is a 1.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Twentynine Palms, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

rock climbing

Directions from Oasis Visitor Center: Follow Twentynine Palms Highway (62) westward to Joshua Tree. In Joshua Tree turn left on Park Boulevard, which becomes Quail Springs Road after crossing Alta Loma Drive. Follow Quail Springs Road to the improved road that leads to Hidden Valley Campground. Continue driving past the campground entrance about one mile to the Barker Dam Trail parking area

Pretty crowded and feels a little artificial for my liking with the man made wall. The loop was under maintenance and so was a short in and back hike. We did however scramble up the hills behind the dam which was a lot of fun and made for some great afternoon views.

A lake Oasis in the middle of the desert. Crazy, no? Definitely do this.

Easy. Not as great as Hidden Valley Trail. There weren't as many cool boulder structures to scramble on. And for awhile at the beginning you're kind of fenced into this narrow trail- and we were behind people slower than us. But, it was cool to see the dam at the end and the wildlife there. And everyone still enjoyed it. (Went with kids ages 12-6).

Really crowded and parking was tough. A nice hike and fun to see water.

Easy trail with a lot of loose sand. The trail was being worked in when we visited so it turned out to be a .8 mike in and out walk because half the loop was closed. The water in the lake was low, but still pretty once we got to the dam.

Nice, easy hike to a beautiful desert pond formed by a dam built many years ago.

Great easy hike/walk to end the day in Joshua Tree National Park. The sun was going down when we got here and the rocks and pond looked really beautiful. Definitely doable for families, and is one of the more popular trails that we encountered so there will be plenty of people there but it didn’t feel overcrowded.

Perfect hike with little kids! My 3 year old desert baby loved seeing the water and birds!

This trail is pretty short, but don’t let that fool you! You can spend a lot of time exploring this area. I thought it was very peaceful, I did this hike around 7am in February. So not a lot of people were out, but by the time I finished the parking lot was full. I took my time exploring the rock features along the way. Plus, it’s probably the only place you’re going to see a body of water in the park. Lol.

A fun little hike in Joshua Tree. Pretty short and easy. Like a lot of places in Joshua Tree, the rock formations are pretty fun to explore and climb. The dam itself and the history are pretty interesting.

Definitely more “touristy” due to the short length and ease of the hike, but still fun to see.

Fun scramble beyond the lake

A very nice hiking loop. We enjoyed it very much.

We enjoyed this easy loop trail with lots to see and fun photography options. Lots of places to scamper on the rocks and a good trail for those more interested in meandering.

The hike to the dam is easy and the dam itself is worth the visit.

I have never been hiking in Joshua Tree National Park, so this is a question for those who have traveled and hiked here. Do you have tour guides or just offer maps to hike each trail listed on your own? Thank you!

This was a nice easy scenic trail. Have an opportunity to sit and hang out on the rocks over the damned pond.

Very nice hike especially in spring when there is still water in the little lake that is barred by the dam. Unfortunately it has the same problem as Hidden Valley...too many people.

I loved this hike. It was well marked, easy terrain, and the damn was interesting to see. There is one small section that might be a bit challenging for those with mobility issues, otherwise a great hike for all skill levels.

I really enjoyed this hike, it was short and easy to follow. Once we reached the dam we climbed some rocks and relaxed and took in the beautiful view. I would definitely like to do this hike again.

Nice stroll through some nice rock formations.

Will do this again for sure. Beautiful hike, water and rocks.

Nice little trail! It’s a neat peace of history

Super easy trail, with absolutely beautiful scenery! Easy for all ages and fitness levels.

Easy and fun hike. There's some hieroglyphics along the trail, the historical Barker Dam, and a lot of signage about the flora and fauna of the area. A great family walk.

Easy, but fun little hike. My wife and I jumped off the trail to climb up for some better vantage points. We arrived early as were basically alone for a bit. By the time we left the trail was heavily trafficked. Nice hike, not hard unless you want to climb up.

This was a beautiful little walk!
We saw the sunset here (see my pictures). And the reflection in the water is so wonderful.

The little lake is beautiful in the fall. Oak trees are orange and yellow and are reflected in the glass like water. An easy but fun hike.

does not let you check in

Short hike but beautiful view of the dam and a nice place to relax if you've been trekking much of the park.

Large family friendly. We have 5 small children under 10 and really enjoy this hike. There are parts where we carry the 2 year old, but other than that the littles can do most of it and enjoy climbing.