Barber Peak Loop Trail

Barber Peak Loop Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Nipton, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked this one in late January. Trail is a little sketchy with livestock trails crisscrossing on the northern portion but very nice and, I thought, quite scenic. Coming out through Hole-In-The-Wall on the Rings Trail was an added bonus

A nice trail although not well signed in the southeasterly section. You get to see some cool geography and walk through some nice cactus and sage type habitat. The gorge and hole-in-the-wall section is pretty cool but some parts are grazed by cattle and not much is left. Very little shade on this trail and luckily for us I️t was 75 and cloudy but I could see this being a very warm hike under different conditions.

The abundance of barrel cacti on West side of the loop are the best part of the hike, but the views are great in many places.

Friday, April 08, 2016

I loved this trail. We even did the loop trail. That was pretty physically demanding but totally worth it.

Monday, January 02, 2012

I did this trail in combination with the two other major trails at the Hole In The Wall, Rings Loop and Hole In The Wall to Mid Hills. After exiting the Banshee Canyon, part of the Rings Loop, I connected to the Barber Peak Loop trail going counterclockwise around Barber Peak. There are some moderate gains but nothing too difficult. There are some great views of the Table Mountain and Barber Peak itself.

The trail is well marked. It crosses a number of four wheel roads and well used cow paths. Towards the north end the trail follows a road a good bit and eventually meets up with the Hole In the Wall trail. i followed the Hole In the Wall trail for a few miles then turned around and competed the Barber Peak Loop going counter clockwise.

Since I did all or a portion of all three, my total time was 9m in 4.5 hrs.

The Barber Peak loop itself is 6mi. This should take you anywhere for 3-4hrs depending on your pace.

Monday, January 16, 2017